The best of the 6mm's for Long Range

shootr:

Not to hijack here either.

I am building a Dasher myself.

This is from 6mmBr.com. They have a ton of information on their site including how to fire-form the brass.

"The Dasher - Specs: 40° shoulder, blown forward .10", Neck-length = .246". Requires Custom Dies.

BRX- Specs: 30° standard shoulder, blown forward .10", neck-length = .210". Can use standard dies, but the case will not fit a standard chamber."

Velocity between the two will be similar.

The choice for me came actually down to a standard BR and the Dasher and I decided since I had a BR in a slow twist that I would go with a fast twist in the Dasher instead of the fast twist BR just to have something a little different and with a bit more hp to shoot my desired distance of 600 yd-1,000 yd.

1kstr

My vanilla 6mmRem tossing 105 AMAXs @ 3130FPS via 26" 1/8 Hart, does more than the trick for those pesky LR varmints.

6CM

Why not try the 6CM, 107GR. SMK @ up to 3200fps, no turn neck, very seldom need to trim necks, and barrel life of over 4000 rounds with slow burning powders like H-1000 and H-4831SC. Super accurate and flat shooting with the 107's and 115 gr. bullets, and less wind drift than the 6.5 x 284. Rounds are made by fire forming standard 243 loads using the slow burning powders, the fire forming loads shoot as accurately as the fire formed loads, just a little slower. I imagine it would push the lighter bullets real fast if speed is what you want.

Jim Berry

have you thought about a 6x47 lapua.i just built one its awsome for long range. i am shooting 105 a max at 3160. this way you can get over 1000 rounds over the AI.

Does anyone have any pet loads for a 6mm-.284? I have a Rem 700 with 26" Hart barrel and am having trouble finding a super accurate PD load with Hornady 75 grn VMax.

I am currently having an AR15 built in 6mm SPC for my predator hunting. I currently shoot a plain 243 Rem and have been for the past 10 years. I really like the 6mm bullet for the coyotes. I am not shooting them at super long ranges so the 55 grain BT at about 4100 fps out of the 243 works great. I anticipate the 6mm SPC from the AR15 will shoot around 3500 fps with the same bullet.

Greg

Last edited:
Need help; I thought I saw a post here that stated that the American Rifleman published an article about 243 win hand loads. I thought it said July 2008, but it is not in that issue. Anyone know what month it was published.
Thanks in advance.
Duane

check out the 6mm remington improved it will shoot with the .243 and not be so hard on barrels the brass has a lot longer neck than the .243 just check out the load data it can push a 75 g v-max 3700 to 3800fps with the right load and twist of barrel.

Just my 2 cents, but IMHO, I would still say the 6BR, overall, is the best 6mm one can own. It's not the fastest, however, it's the most accurate and has enough energy to kill small varmints at 1000 yards.

Just my 2 cents, but IMHO, I would still say the 6BR, overall, is the best 6mm one can own. It's not the fastest, however, it's the most accurate and has enough energy to kill small varmints at 1000 yards.

I dont't know if it's the best for all situations, but if you're looking for low muzzle blast. low recoil, ability to stay on target, great accuracy, quality brass, ease of loading and long barrel life it's a no brainer.

I've found it does about everything but drive a heavy for cal bullet fast.

PS the deer hate it also

Raspberry and strawberries.

6mmbr, 243.

6mmbr is efficient, its what I like best about them.

Although I shoot a 243, just cause I like to keep things simple.

Myself I use a 6XC with a 26" barrel on a Weatherby Mark V miniature action; which was converted from a .22 250 that's just a fantastic white tail cartridge... My other is a M70 Mac Bro A3 stock with a 30" 1-8 .243 WSSM for LR shooting'…, using Sierra's107gr. Mk's. This rifle is a super 1k paper puncher. Holding the cartridge at 3050 fps doesn't over work the barrel and it's superbly accurate, but if I need to step on the gas it's got more than enough left over.
.224 Wby

My long range rifle is a 243 Ackley Improved. It sports a 28" 10 twist barrel and it has zero freebore. I shoot the 70 grain Sierra Blitzking @3850 for groundhogs.. I have a witnessed 1 shot kill @880 yards and several in the 4-600 yard range.. For my style of hunting this does it for me at this time... Now I'm hearing about the 6x47 Lapua which is starting to spark my interest.
My Ackley is shooting .75" groups @ 325 yards... so the accuracy is there. We'll see what the future holds. Sam

Warning! This thread is more than 16 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.