The best of the 6mm's for Long Range

panhandlepr

What would be you're chose for the best of the long range 6mm's? Would like to include both standard and wildcat versions and also you're reasons for your choice.

Rifle would be used probably just for coyotes. I am in the process right now of putting together a 6mm BR Norma. I also just remembered I have a 240 Weatherby that I used for Wyoming speed goat that I had forgotten about. It probably would work really good for coyotes with a good varmint bullet. Either I have too many rifles or my memory is starting to show my age!!!

That all depends on what you want. The 6 BR is great but you'd better know the range spot on once you get out there a ways. For a coyote rifle that won't be shot alot I'd lean towards something a little flatter shooting. Not that the BR won't work, there are just times that you may not have enough time to range dial and shoot. A flatter shooting cartridge will give you more room for error on range estimation.

panhandlepr, in standard calibers, I'd opt for a 6mm Remington. I have pals that shoot them at paper out to 1K with very good results. Nice cartridge. There's nothing wrong with a good .243 Remmy either.

For a wildcat, if you don't balk at a barrel burner, a 6-284. Great brass, lots of extras, fierce performance.

There are many good bullets for both. I'd consider a custom chamber to get the most out of heavier bullets, quality bedding, & a nice crown.

I am from the UK and shoot mostle fox but i do shoot them out to 400 yards. I have a 243 AI for this and loaded up with 87 grain V max it will shoot out to 300 yards with no hold over needed. Out to 400 i only hold over 5" wich is still on the body of the fox. What you want to shoot is a lott bigger than our Fox so i would guess a 243 AI would be a good choice.

I agree about the 243 AI, but I built a 6mm AI for my long range 6mm. It shoots very well and is very fast, too. I built it on a long action Rem 700 and would recomend that. If you want a short action I'd go with the 243 AI. Either one I'd get a fast twist bbl so I'd be able to shoot the heavy bullets. They carry more energy and buck the wind better at long range.

Your 240 WBY, if you can get it to shoot well, (I said that because mine would never shoot less than 1.5 moa) would be the fastest factory 6mm and is comparable to the 6mm-284. Unless you want to get up into the exotic 6mm wildcats like those based on the 300WM case, the 240 WBY, 6mm-284 6mm Rem AI, and 243 AI would be your best bet. All would need a fast twist barrel in order to take advantage of the heavier bullets for best long range performance.

I built a 243 Ackley Improved in a table gun for long range groundhoggin'. I built it on a Remington 788 bedded into a BR stock Topped w/ a Leupy 18-40 50 mm side focus. Specs: Shilen Barrel, 10 twist, 28.5 " long. Cleaned up neck. I'm shooting the 70 grain Sierra Blitzkings at 3850 fps. I got into the 500 yard club with this rig and have made shots out to 880 yards with this rig. This is about as far (range) as I have access to shoot. So this fits my needs fine... my buddy shoots the same bullet outta his 6 BR and it is very accurate, but does loose steam at about 475-500 yards on groundhogs. My 243AI is flat shooting and I thoroughly enjoy it...when it was new it would consistantly shoot .75" at 325 yards... may have been better if in the hands of a more competent shooter...hehehehe I wouldn't hesitate building another one.
Sam

Last edited:
I can vouch for the reputation of the standard 6mm Remington. I've been using a Remington 700 VL chambered in 6mm Remington for 8 year's now and every summer I'm able to make clean, one shot kill's on groundhog's from 600yds, out to just a peanut over 800yds, providing the condition's are right.
There are several reason's why I personally like this cartridge. it is from my estimate inexpensive and, easy in regard's to load development.
The recoil is'nt harsh enough to prevent yourself from being able to quickly get back on target in the event that you don't have a companion spotting your shot. And finally, the trajectory may not be that of a laser beam however, with my load using 80gr nosler ballistic tip's with a muzzle velocity of 3538fps, it doe's shoot pretty flat. at this velocity, the the 80gr nosler has 362lbs of retained energy left at 1000yds, enough to dispatch a groundhog or praire dog. There are alot of .243 based cartridges to choose from. as far as wildcat's are concerned, the 6mm Remington Ackley improved is hard to beat,
the 6mm/.284 winchester can be tempermental to load for. for myself, easy has alway's been best, and that's why I enjoy the 6mm Remington so much.

Good Luck With Whatever You Choose,

Don.

i am in the process of building a 243ai on a rem. action. I talked to a guy from shilen who has been chambering rifles for 18 years i think, and he said that if he had to choose he would go with a plain jane .243 win. Don't really know how much this says for the guy, cuz he may not be a nut like some of us. If your gonna build on a short action go with the 243win or 243ai. Medium to long 6mm, 6mmai, or 6mm-284. The fact is there are so many that are just a hair better than others and it don't make pot what u shoot as long as you can hit the target. The 243win is already considered a barrel burnner and the amount of powder some others take to drive the bullet 100-300fps faster too me is unrealistic. Also i don't like long barrels 24" is plenty for anything out to 500yrds. The more powder u add seems like the longer the barrel has to be, but when shooting 600yrds or more i deffinetly see point.

Best 6mms.

I suggest you look at the 6mmBRX and 6mmDasher. With 1:8 barrel. Both nail drivers out to 1000 yards and barrel life is twice that of a .243 or 6mmRemington. The cost of shooting is also 1/3 less.

Rustystud
A/k/A Nat Lambeth

Rusty

I don't mean to do a hijack here but what is the difference between the BRX and the Dasher? And also what is involved in forming the brass? Neck expanding and creating a false shoulder? Which one gives the best velocity or does one have a benefit over the other?
Thanks

Warning! This thread is more than 16 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.