The BEST hearing protection for shooting.

I'm 31 and have the hearing of an 80 year old. I already have hearing aids (that I don't wear). Most of it is from shooting ducks out of a steel tank with no ear plugs in for 10 years. But I've also torn both ear drums 3 times and had to have surgery on one to the repair it. My hearing is trash, so I don't do anything without hearing protection in now. I have to save what little I have left 😞. I also blew my left ear drum out shooting a muzzle braked 6.5 creedmoor at a buck that came out of nowhere. That's why I hike around with these ear plugs in now. Even if you get get caught off guard you still have protection.

Wow - that's a bummer. I've got 3- 3 year old grandsons running around here 4-5x/wk. Those little dudes bring life to this house.
Vartmit Hunter and Dhardy I would love to be granddad daycare.Grand daughter is 2 and grandson is 8 but his voice is still a young soft voice.
I told him at about 10-13 your voice will become deeper so enjoy your young voice as long as you have it.
Orkan that is thought of shooting I never considered.As a young man I took on all comers in shooting heavy recoil guns.460 weatherby mag was brutal as well as other African safari rifles I shot and maybe that is why I am almost deaf now.
If only we could go back to our youth!

Vartmit Hunter and Dhardy I would love to be granddad daycare.Grand daughter is 2 and grandson is 8 but his voice is still a young soft voice.
I told him at about 10-13 your voice will become deeper so enjoy your young voice as long as you have it.
Orkan that is thought of shooting I never considered.As a young man I took on all comers in shooting heavy recoil guns.460 weatherby mag was brutal as well as other African safari rifles I shot and maybe that is why I am almost deaf now.
If only we could go back to our youth!
You know how right you are! Only to go back, I always wore hearing protection at the range but never while hunting. All those years of big game, small game and ducks and geese took the toll. I can still hear luckily unless it is a high pitch sound, that is completely gone. Or my wife ….lol, but she says that is just selective…🤣

I suffer from constant ringing in my ears. Hearing loss was the last thing on my mind when I was young and dumb. Duck hunting really caused a lot of damage, but shooting a braked 416 without EP was an instant problem that I have never recovered from. I use double EP at the range and hoop style when hunting. Are the Ottos susceptible to wind noise. This is the only thing I don't like about electronic EP.

I suffer from constant ringing in my ears. Hearing loss was the last thing on my mind when I was young and dumb. Duck hunting really caused a lot of damage, but shooting a braked 416 without EP was an instant problem that I have never recovered from. I use double EP at the range and hoop style when hunting. Are the Ottos susceptible to wind noise. This is the only thing I don't like about electronic EP.
They are SLIGHTLY susceptible, but nothing like my actual hearing aids. I definitely wouldn't consider it a major issue with them at all.

I'll be the exception here— I bought the Otto's. 6 shots from a .17 REM. and I immediately sold them for half price. They seemed to amplify instead of reducing the blast. Now, I was using the supplied tips and read afterwards that foam tips should be bought and used to get the best fit, but I wasn't taking any more chances. Just my experience fwiw.

I'll be the exception here— I bought the Otto's. 6 shots from a .17 REM. and I immediately sold them for half price. They seemed to amplify instead of reducing the blast. Now, I was using the supplied tips and read afterwards that foam tips should be bought and used to get the best fit, but I wasn't taking any more chances. Just my experience fwiw.
Good to know! Thanks for sharing! I was lucky enough that the guy that showed them to me, also made me buy the foam tips before even trying the tips they come with.

You must have had them on backwards 😂

I kid 😁

Definitely got some damage here since about 10yrs ago, from shooting a S&W 500 (8-3/8" barrel) with only foam earplugs in. I was amazed at how loud that thing was! Slight ringing always, now. I now also use double protection when doing load development or target practicing.
Majority of time when deer hunting, I wear the silicon type. I don't need to hear anything - just step out.
I can relate to the "grand" kids also. My wife and I are raising her great nephew. He's 11 now, had him since he was 2. We've also had our 6yr old grand-daughter since she was 2. It's "GrandPa daycare" everyday! I love them and consider them "my" kids. They'll more than likely be with me when I take my last breath.
The Otto's seem a bit pricey at first but...hearing is priceless!

I just realized I haven't shared these awesome ear plugs with anyone besides my immediate shooting buddies. These are AMAZING for the money. And I've have $2000 custom molded electric ear plugs also. I quit using them when I found these. These amplify sound for all around use, and immediately shut off at the sound of a shot. I wear them when I'm shooting, still-hunting through timber, duck hunting & everything else shooting related. Pair them with some awesome molded ear piece attachments from Amazon and you won't regret it! You charge the main ear plug case, and every time you put the individual ear plugs back into the case, it then charges the ear plugs. The batteries LAST. I've worn the ear plugs from 7:00am-2:00pm and they still have 40% left when I dropped them back into their case. I highly recommend!

Comply Professional Noise Isolating Earphone Tips for NuForce, ISOtunes PRO, Q-Jays, Etymotic Research, Westone, Shure & More P-Series Memory Foam Replacement Earbud Tips (Medium, 3-pairs) Amazon product ASIN B003VNB0UC
Optics Planet has them at $388.00

For range use, I insert the foam ones of NRR 33 and over that the slim Walkers Razor electronic headphones. The Walkers allows me to clearly hear any & all range commands, (line shooting, 20 guys/gals lined up with M1s and M1As, etc.) or conversation, plus I am getting the highest NRR protection I can.

I too have tinnitus, but that was more due to 25+ years of playing the drums. Used to pride myself that I didn't need drum amps ... LOL!

IMHO I'd never use any hearing protection 30 NRR ... the higher the NRR the better, as the decible scale is exponential - not linear!