Thanks!

Greg Duerr

Some times Im totally lost when it come to Long Range shooting and reloading...............At first I kind of got blasted when you guys talked about shooting at 1000yds and I thought Yey Right!! and voice my opinions.......Then last week at the range I was shooting next to a guy with a Custom 300 Weatherby Mag 28" #7 barrel and a Night Force Scope He was shooting at the 1000 yd target and I was thinking I wonder if he is hitting that ............to my surprise he asked if I wanted to try a few shots. Well I was shocked with that Night Force Scope The 1000yd target looked like I was standing next to it and I put three shots into an easy kill zone for a Deer...........I was blown away. The trigger on that rifle was set at 12oz another new experience.
I'm a firm believer now that with the right equipment that 1000yds is not an issue. Of course it was dead calm that day, but My eyes were opened.

One day when I find the right powder and load for my .243 AI I can start trying to shoot past 200yds...............I did buy a nice Leica RF and did have Leupold install a CDS turret on my scope ............its a start

For me if it was not for the Help and advice from you guys on this sight I would have gone back to my 22 Hornet and started shooting ground squirrels at <100

Thanks for your help and patience.

I'm glad you have gotten something from the site. Most of us regulars are here simply to help make the reloading/ shooting experience more productive and safer for all involved. It doesn't hurt that we are yapping about something we care deeply about either, I suppose.

As to the rifle you were working with, the 300roy can be a great cal. to work with for longer ranges. It doesn't quite stack up with the 300rum or bigger, but it'll do the job pretty well. I've been working with a buddie's accumark in 300roy for a couple of months and it is a good shooting stick. I have to say I'm likely going to buy a wby rifle one of these days...

Actually its a .243 AI
I was referring to the rifle you mentioned that you shot with the nightforce....
the 6's like the 243, 6rem, and 243 ai are all good rounds. Not to big, but what do you need for a deer anyway. I like a big 7 or 30, but they are actually a bit overkill at times...

Greg I suggest you give Retumbo a try if you can find some. I was running it in a stock 243 with 105 gr Berger VLDs and it worked very well. The longer your barrel the better with that powder.

Retumbo..................I will give it a try .... Im going to try H4831 Friday, if that does not work I will try Retumbo.................otherwise Im at a dead end and have no Idea of what to do.............................Im frustrated enough that I told my wife Im just going to sell the Rifle and be done with it.

Warning! This thread is more than 10 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.