Thank you to all that posted on this site!!!

Nikkel

Thanks to you all I made my first and not only first but successful first long range shot . I shot my spike bull elk in the mountains of Idaho at 685 yds!! After watching him for 20 minutes I made the decision to take my shot and would have never took the shot without the confidence I had from all I learned here. Only made one shot for the kill. It started with the reloading forum that helped me as a novice with my equipment decisions which were( forester press,forester bench rest dies,Wilson trimmer,tumblers tumbler with stainless,) End pproduct for my 300 wsm sm was168 gr Barnes ttsx with 70.5 grains of RL19 with fed.mag. Primer.this got me a consistent 1.1/4 inch 5 shot group at 200 yds with my HS Precision mountain rifle. I can't tell you how rewarding after the countless hours of learning and loading different rounds to find the right load for my gun that I had when I found that bull laying not 30 yds from where he was standing when I took that shot. My son in law upon arriving to the kill site said holy crap how far was that..I answered with a smile and said "42clicks"Thank You to all that patiently answered all my beginner question. Have hunted since I was 8 yrs old and had never loaded my own ammo!!

Thanks Jim .. Ya I am hooked for sure. Especially hunting the salmon region in Idaho. I am getting older and not as quick to climb and sneak for 2 hours to get 200 yds closer so the ability to shoot farther yet responsibly is handy!

You must be proud of yourself for a great shot.

I really hope that you tell your friends your long range story and they believe you. I do not want them to think you are telling an "another" fish story. :)

Congratulations! It's really satisfying to load your ammo, tweak it to the rifle, prove your results at the range, and have it all come together on the mountain.

PS, That mountain climbing was all you.

HAHA
I here ya on the fish story for sure! My son in law was along and he would not even let me round up to the next yard!haha
I am sure glad I listened to those of you that encouraged going with top notch equipment from the start rather than go low budget and upgrade later.
Always cost more that way and not as good of results.
Nothing like getting information from real people with real experience.
I hope I can help someone with what I have learned so far from you all.

Congrats on a successful hunt, always good to have one of the older guys giving us younger guys a hard time. Keep up the good work.
Good luck and happy hunting

Great Job! Thanks for sharing! This site has taught me a lot also. A few years ago I would have never thought I could shoot so far. My farthest is 595y on a whitetail.

Warning! This thread is more than 11 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Recent Posts