Testing Reloads Shooting Scenario's

DennisPA

I'm new to shooting for more then just plinking and reloading. My question is when you are ready to try out you latest recipe for reloads what is the scenario that you shoot to. Here is two that I have tried and I'm wondering if I'm way off base.
Scenario #1 I would start with a cold clean bore fire a three shot group in about a 3-5 minute time frame. Clean the bore and let the rife rest for 15-20 minutes.
Scenario #2 I would start with a cold clean bore fire a shot. Clean the bore and let the rifle rest for 15-20 minutes. Then repeat 2 more times for a total of three shots in about an hour.

My questions Senario#1 This is how I've always shot to check my groups, but are the 2 consecutive shots valid from a measuring group size stand point? I can see from a hunting stand point knowing were that 2nd & 3rd shots are going to be if you need to take them. But from the stand point of load development are they valid? What do you all do and why? Thanks

Personally, I shoot 3-5 shots per test, then let the barrel cool. I don't usually clean between tests but have in the past. Instead, now I clean somewhere between 20 and 50 rounds down the barrel.

Depends on what exactly we want to test, and you'll find many versions and opinions on this subject. If we're testing cold clean barrel accuracy, then that's a different story.

I want a load that will shoot at least 3 shots in rapid succesion into the same poi or a very tight group. Cold barrel, warm barrel, dirty barrel either one.......I want at least 3 shots into the same place regardless of barrel heat. Lots of times I get a chance to fill more than one deer tag in one spot or one sitting. Lots of times I call in multiple coyotes and get more than one shot. The first shot may be 50 yds, the 2nd at 200 yds, and the 3rd at 500 yds for example. Prarie dogs and other varmints are kinda self expanatory........lots of shots between cleaning and cooling, and I don't want temp or cleanliness affecting point of impact.

Additionally, I dont hunt with a clean gun. I always fire a couple of fowlers after cleaning and before actually hunting. Sometimes these are at a target, sometimes just into the dirt, I simply dont want to take a chance of the first shot going somewhere different than the next two. Some rifles do, some don't.

Again, you'll hear many different opinions and reasonings for this question, but that's mine FWIW.

Warning! This thread is more than 13 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.