Shooting reloads problem?

enigma

I'm reloading for a weatherby 338-378 accumark with a swarovski 6x-24x scope with a 30mm tube.When I was shooting weatherby factory ammo 200gr BST the gun was shooting good.I started to reload I'm shooting hornady 225gr SST and loaded them with 101gr Imr powder it shoot close to how it shoot before but when I went to 102gr of powder and higher the gun shoot higher.today I went out shooting and I was shooting 225gr hornady SST with retumbo powder and loaded them from 114gr-1141/2gr 115gr-1151/2grand 116gr of powder when I got to 115 I could not ajust my scope low enough to stay on the paper it was shooting 24-25 inches high at a 100yds I can't ajust my scope any lowwer /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/confused.gifer any help please?

Either something is loose or you're developing a bad case of severe flinching. There's no way your rifle will have that much change in impact at 100 yards irregardless of how much powder you stuffed in it. Check your scope base, rings, action screws etc...etc..

I know I didn't flinch but I taped two targets togather and aimed at the bottom of the two targets tape togather long ways and both shoots were next two the center of the bulleye on the second target the top target. it looks like the rings of the scope are coming lose maybe.I have to find a t tool

Here's what I found out.The scope mount's are leupold and the windage ajustment on the back scope mount was loose and the front rings were loose to the back rings were tight.the gunsmith said if happens again he wants to put doubledovetails on the gun.

Ive seen the big 338 guns will cut the tops off the rear windage screws from the recoil. Double dovetail rings and mounts or a good pictinny system, the latter i recomend.

Dave

I had the same problems shooting a 30-378. I ended up going to the dovetails. Sooner or later you'll end up doing the same thing. Good luck

I would agree with BD408, with a rifle with that kind of recoil energy and a scope that heavy, you will be far better off to invest in a quailty rail base with a set of tactical rings. The DD bases and rings will work but I would still recommend the rail and tactical bases.

When your at this level of recoil energy in this weight of a rifle with this heavy of a scope, get a world class mounting system just to make sure there are no problems down the road.

Never put a windage adjustable mounting system on a rifle like this with a heavy scope. In all reality, with a windage adjustable mounting system, the only ring that has a positive grip on the scope is the front ring. THe rear ring clamped between the two windage screws is very little clamping effect.

Only way I really recommend these anyway on a rifle with significant recoil is using a set of Burris Signature rings as they grip a scope tube much more securely when mounted properly.

Good Shooting!!

Kirby Allen(50)

Warning! This thread is more than 18 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Recent Posts