Test your bedding

I breezed back to a Browning patent amidst the era of an A-Bolt that I noticed the rubber bedding in(snipped): Patent US5279200 A (1992)
A Ballistic Optimizing System for Rifles (BOSS) patented by Rose of South Weber, Utah, U.S. Pat. No. 5,279,200 utilizes a permanently attached tube with vents or ports that can be adjusted to tune the vibration pattern of the barrel used in conjunction with a flexible barrel and action bedding compound where these contact the stock of the firearm. "Bedding" refers to a shock absorbent or stabilizer material, which is usually a synthetic rubber or similarly resilient elastomeric material. In the case of the test rifles, a two part pourable liquid urethane rubber bedding compound supplied by Devcon Corporation of Danvers, Main under the tradename "FLEXANE 94" was used,

Later patents were for their tuner as an aftermarket add-on, and seem to dismiss special bedding as needed. I do not know if Browning still uses rubber bedding with their BOSS.

I made a stick figure drawing of rubber bedding as I had applied it.
The rubber(Shoe Goo) is in red
The pillars are rigidly mounted in the stock and provide for 1/16" action screw slop.
The pillars are rubber isolated between action connection
Loctite is applied to the action screws
My action screws are preloaded here to 15 in/lbs
There is ~1/16" rubber bedding all sides of the recoil lug
The bedding extends for ~3" of barrel support

Attachments

• RubberBedding.jpg
    RubberBedding.jpg
    14.7 KB · Views: 87
I breezed back to a Browning patent amidst the era of an A-Bolt that I noticed the rubber bedding in(snipped): Patent US5279200 A (1992)
A Ballistic Optimizing System for Rifles (BOSS) patented by Rose of South Weber, Utah, U.S. Pat. No. 5,279,200 utilizes a permanently attached tube with vents or ports that can be adjusted to tune the vibration pattern of the barrel used in conjunction with a flexible barrel and action bedding compound where these contact the stock of the firearm. "Bedding" refers to a shock absorbent or stabilizer material, which is usually a synthetic rubber or similarly resilient elastomeric material. In the case of the test rifles, a two part pourable liquid urethane rubber bedding compound supplied by Devcon Corporation of Danvers, Main under the tradename "FLEXANE 94" was used,

Later patents were for their tuner as an aftermarket add-on, and seem to dismiss special bedding as needed. I do not know if Browning still uses rubber bedding with their BOSS.

I made a stick figure drawing of rubber bedding as I had applied it.
The rubber(Shoe Goo) is in red
The pillars are rigidly mounted in the stock and provide for 1/16" action screw slop.
The pillars are rubber isolated between action connection
Loctite is applied to the action screws
My action screws are preloaded here to 15 in/lbs
There is ~1/16" rubber bedding all sides of the recoil lug
The bedding extends for ~3" of barrel support

Very Interesting, I am glad that you have, but am surprised that anyone has had good luck with this type of bedding, I have not had any luck with it. there are many rifle manufactures that have, and still use it for the reasons mentioned and also the flexible bedding allows the action and barrel to adjust to any changes in the stock helping with the dampening and consistency, but in my experience that is where it ends. Browning, Winchester and Weatherby are just a few that still apply this type of bedding. and the problem I have found with it is that first, it is never as accurate as a good solid pillar bedding in the beginning, and after a while it allows the barreled action to move around in the stock, changing the total performance and accuracy to degrade.

A good pillar bedding with the proper bedding compound that will hold up to the rigors of heavy recoil with out allowing any movement and remain in good condition for many years is in my mind the best way to go.

I have re worked many of these rifle and found that without exception they "All" shot better when
the soft bedding was removed and re bedding with pillars and proper compounds that became ridged. Many of these rifles were almost new and some were several years old but the owners all said that they never shot as good, even when new.

In my mind and experience it is a temporary factory fix to poor fit just like tip pressure and helps there rifles to shoot better in the beginning.

Of Course this is just my opinion and some may be ok with the results of this type of bedding (I am not) and will continue to do bedding that allows the rifle to shoot its best and remain in the same place and condition for many years.

J E CUSTOM

Warning! This thread is more than 8 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Recent Posts