Terrapin at the PO today--for me!

I think the last time he posted a bear picture it was on the front porch of a cabin, don't know the size but I bet it looked big coming through the door. LOL. Hopefully, he doesn't have to get so close with this set up. Be safe up there!

Ornery cuss. He was 26 years old with teeth worn below the gums and someone took a pot shot at him in August or early September. Unable to chew, but starving at 396#, he took to raiding cabins for sustenance. His foraging spiral was decreasing exponentially; when I shot him in the cabin he was in the village. At that time there were but 25 persons in Bettles and Evansville; there's less than that today. Sooner or later he'd a bumped into someone and it wouldn't have been pretty so that Thanksgiving day around 30 below at 11:30AM I shot him. He did depart with a growl and I think in bearspeak it was a desperate thank you...

His skull measured out at 24 1/8 making him B&C eligible. The Discovery Channel ran an account of this in Alaska Most Extreme which debuted April 16, 2009. Here's a photo right after the event. The other is Mitts with his skull completed...

he took to raiding cabins and no doubt was in agony with that football sized ankle --the wound.

Attachments

• Gruesome's demise daTAXI.jpg
    Gruesome's demise daTAXI.jpg
    67.5 KB · Views: 36
  • Gruesome & Mitts dTAXI.jpg
    Gruesome & Mitts dTAXI.jpg
    73.2 KB · Views: 50
Last edited:
Another attempt this evening around 9:30PM--darn river always has the wrong wind. I got two photos before the camera battery quit--and it was 10 above zero! However, the Terrapin just continues to deliver the range.

I'm trying to surmount two problems: First, the near-impossibility to see the red LED against the snow in bright sunlight, and second camera battery failure. Both camera and Terrapin are contained in a "heated tote" over the snogo's mufflers, but the lithium camera battery goes in minutes; it's fine again once it warms up. I do think that demands on the camera battery, coupled with less shielding against temperature changes compounds the matter. Terra's batteries are lithium c123 (2) and so far they--and the Terrapin--always deliver.

Here's tonight's effort. I did mention this is fun?

Attachments

• 4-2-12 terratry 1 small.jpg
    4-2-12 terratry 1 small.jpg
    66.8 KB · Views: 49
  • 4-2-12 terratry 2 small.jpg
    4-2-12 terratry 2 small.jpg
    58 KB · Views: 46
Here's some from April 4; I think I got the thing down. Maybe I'll make an attempt tonight, but I'm down in Fairbanks for the last time until October, it's a holiday weekend and much traffic--scares me!

Attachments

• terratry 4-3-2012 dLRH.jpg
    terratry 4-3-2012 dLRH.jpg
    67.7 KB · Views: 44
  • terratry 4-3-2012 bLRH.jpg
    terratry 4-3-2012 bLRH.jpg
    63.6 KB · Views: 45
  • terratry 4-3-2012 hLRH.jpg
    terratry 4-3-2012 hLRH.jpg
    59.2 KB · Views: 39
Last edited:
This entry--and the one following--will probably be my last in this thread. These pics are target-specific, some hard and reflective, others, like treetops, might be classified as semi-reflective at best. In any event the Terrapin has yet to let me down.

With any kind of luck my next--and under new title--thread will include animal targets.

Attachments

• LRH-TPINTRY1.jpg
    LRH-TPINTRY1.jpg
    58.7 KB · Views: 42
  • LRH-TPINTRY2.jpg
    LRH-TPINTRY2.jpg
    53 KB · Views: 50
  • LRH-TPINTRY3.jpg
    LRH-TPINTRY3.jpg
    56.6 KB · Views: 40
Last under this thread and all Fairbanks photos.

Attachments

• LRH-TPINTRY6.jpg
    LRH-TPINTRY6.jpg
    49.9 KB · Views: 40
  • LRH-TPINTRY5.jpg
    LRH-TPINTRY5.jpg
    49.6 KB · Views: 52
  • LRH-TPINTRY4.jpg
    LRH-TPINTRY4.jpg
    55.4 KB · Views: 45
Worst moose (or anything) season I've ever experienced, but I did get this tyke through the Terrapin and camera. He was the farthest away--and later--the closest this year.

Attachments

• camp bull 9-29-12a.jpg
    camp bull 9-29-12a.jpg
    207 KB · Views: 52
Last edited:
We're just starting deer season, one calf moose yesterday was it. I'm going to have to start
taking pictures-I always enjoy yours. Any thoughts on the minimal game seen?

Last edited:
Weather was the only reason I can think of for the astounding lack of sign and sightings of moose, sheep, and to a lesser extent, caribou. It rained--and during the latter period, snow--from August 23 through October 6 creating an abnormally high water table and fully saturated ground. There wasn't a 24-hour period in which was precipitate-free. Here those conditions mean flooding over the permafrost, thawing of same, silt laden streams and rivers, and still waters way above the high water marks. Game lit out for the high country early and no doubt friction developed between the normal residents and the newbies...

I normally see three bulls during the season; this was the only one I saw. He became my--and others--annual meat supply a day later when he ran into me downriver where the season was open for federal subsistence resident permit-holders like myself.

It's a long story and I do plan to write it up as I do most of my experiences, but for now let me just brief it and provide some photo back-up. Were it not for a small pack of wolves (three adults and a pup of the year) I probably wouldn't have even seen this yearling bull.

After dropping my wife off--she'd spent two weeks assisting me--at the airstrip I returned to camp. In making the half-turn and falling from planing the boat I saw this bull laying down in front of camp. I took photos from camp as I did all connected events that followed. The camp area closed 9/25, but I had the permit that allowed me to hunt downstream about a mile and a half. September 30 found me calling just inside the open area on a good slough and that's where I ran into the wolves that I learned from the tracks at camp ran this bull. Three came out within 50 yards and although I tried I didn't succeed in getting the camera out to get them. (I won't shoot wolves until November as their pelts aren't prime--I also trap wolves then.) However, I did photograph what I figured to be the leader and that's the one seen in the photos. After the excitement--and fatigue in freezing-in-place--I began my return to the boat. Upon reaching the river bank I ran into junior starting up the bank. Not wanting him up top--nor in the river--I waited until I thought was "good enough." It wasn't and he still collapsed rearward after I shot him in the neck, falling into the river. I documented all this as is my habit, but I should save the retrieval, etc., for another time. Here follows some photos:

Attachments

• C&C-wolves b.jpg
    C&C-wolves b.jpg
    131.9 KB · Views: 45
  • C&C-wolves c.jpg
    C&C-wolves c.jpg
    144.6 KB · Views: 55
  • moose camp submerged b.jpg
    moose camp submerged b.jpg
    222.5 KB · Views: 40
  • moose camp submerged c.jpg
    moose camp submerged c.jpg
    244.1 KB · Views: 51
  • Wolves v. Bull a.jpg
    Wolves v. Bull a.jpg
    228.4 KB · Views: 54
  • Wolves v. Bull b.jpg
    Wolves v. Bull b.jpg
    130.7 KB · Views: 51
Last edited:
Warning! This thread is more than 12 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.