Terrapin at the PO today--for me!

alcesgigas

Unbelievable! How did this get here so fast? It was sent out Thursday or Friday... Anyway got me fired up but while the sun was high the temperature was low, but I still got accurate readings of 15m, 18m, outside, and 20m through a double pane window, inside. And then there's these--twilight at 8:30Pm through the same double pane window. Did I mention that these are my first attempts at photography through the PLRF05's eyepiece? Any suggestions out there?

Attachments

• 1st views a.jpg
    1st views a.jpg
    51.9 KB · Views: 128
  • 1st views b.jpg
    1st views b.jpg
    56.1 KB · Views: 117
I thought--and given conditions--that something different would be in order for an already well established rangefinder. These are what I worked with tonight; tomorrow I'll try to squeeze in some more longer shots, but it will be below zero and bright.

Attachments

• 1st views c.jpg
    1st views c.jpg
    61.6 KB · Views: 113
  • 1st views d.jpg
    1st views d.jpg
    59.9 KB · Views: 113
  • 1st views e.jpg
    1st views e.jpg
    47.7 KB · Views: 112
Thats right, I forgot that they are not there at this time of year. I saw where you were from and I flew with them last year to the Brooks for a dall sheep hunt---had a blast.

Randy

I sure would appreciate some advice here on how to get some acceptable photographs through my new Terrapin. I had it to 1741 yards today out on the river, but the wind gusts at near zero (warmer today) diminished any ability I might have had. I do have the ability to still the PLRF05; it's the connect between the camera and ocular lens that causes me grief. This is the best shot of today off my short trap line.

If I remember right this one was 397 yards--so hard to see against that bright sun! Down sun would have been right up against the wind. I won't be offended if you send advice...

Attachments

• Terrapin a.jpg
    Terrapin a.jpg
    55.7 KB · Views: 114
Here's another "irregular use" shot with the terrapin; inside house day and night on the Vanguard PA 88 mount. Also photos of the setup I'll be using tonight down here in Fairbanks. When I get home I'm making a quick release tripod mount that will stabilize the whole thing.

Daytime in the Interior and Arctic are so bright--and usually zero or below--that makes testing problematic. I don't want to subject the Terrapin to extreme temperature changes as the manual warns about, but tonight I'll be testing from the truck out the open window while in a warm cab. I hope the results will be good enough to post.

Attachments

• TERRAPIN in Vanguard88 6.jpg
    TERRAPIN in Vanguard88 6.jpg
    112.6 KB · Views: 112
  • TERRAPIN in Vanguard88 3.jpg
    TERRAPIN in Vanguard88 3.jpg
    50.3 KB · Views: 93
  • Terrapin in Vanguard PA88 1.jpg
    Terrapin in Vanguard PA88 1.jpg
    100.2 KB · Views: 134
Photographing through the Terrapin isn't as easy as I thought--I should be used to that by now...

Whereas objects against the snow are more difficult through any rangefinder, but certainly doable with the Terrapin, doing so through a point-and-shoot auto-focus camera first is nearly impossible. So I chose after 8:30PM (Fairbanks) and, novice at this I am, these are the results.

Attachments

• TERRAPIN in Vanguard PA88 7.jpg
    TERRAPIN in Vanguard PA88 7.jpg
    92.2 KB · Views: 145
  • TERRAPIN in Vanguard PA88 6.jpg
    TERRAPIN in Vanguard PA88 6.jpg
    61.6 KB · Views: 146
  • TERRAPIN in Vanguard PA88 91.jpg
    TERRAPIN in Vanguard PA88 91.jpg
    73.6 KB · Views: 123
  • TERRAPIN in Vanguard PA88 3.jpg
    TERRAPIN in Vanguard PA88 3.jpg
    83.3 KB · Views: 150
Last edited:
No advice as I know nothing about photography, but it looks like you keep getting better, so I'm following along. Best of luck

I think the last time he posted a bear picture it was on the front porch of a cabin, don't know the size but I bet it looked big coming through the door. LOL. Hopefully, he doesn't have to get so close with this set up. Be safe up there!

I would also be careful about riding around in your truck doing this. Who knows what people may think in this day and age. Someone may get your tag number and turn you in as a terrorist taking pics of potential targets. You may end up with an unwanted visit from the local FBI. LOL

That's precisely what I plan on doing, but they'll be moose and/or caribou most likely as the Big Teddies are still napping up here. However, in a week or two...

Sure glad that was an old boar; the most dangerous grizzlies are the smallest ones. You just know mom's isn't far away.

You betcha--sure drew some funny looks down in Fairbanks--with that gizmo sticking out the window, but no inquiries. I didn't even think of that until the first look was observed... Glad to be home and now to get serious with photographing through the Terrapin. Got some more lightbulb

Last edited:
Warning! This thread is more than 12 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.