Terrapin testing today.

The one I ordered on January 30th arrived this afternoon Feb 9, within 2 weeks of the order.....it was already dark when I got home, but I'm happy with the size and feel of the unit. I'll get a chance to mess with it tomorrow but based on what others are posing I'm sure I will be satisfied.

Re: Terrapin testing today. 2/10/12

Set my life size taxideried coyote this late afternoon(5:00) on a hill where it would be skylined and had a friend drive down the road and take a couple of readings with it mounted on tripod. At 1158 yds the coyote fit inside the aiming circle tail to tip of nose. Had him start by taking ranges with circle above coyote and slowly lower it until it would read. He said as soon as aiming circle was at the top of its back it would pick-up. He then backed off about as far as was possible due to location and tried again. Said it was very hard to see coyote with 5X magnafication but was able to get readings of 1523 yds.

Re: Terrapin testing today. 2/10/12

Set my life size taxideried coyote this late afternoon(5:00) on a hill where it would be skylined and had a friend drive down the road and take a couple of readings with it mounted on tripod. At 1158 yds the coyote fit inside the aiming circle tail to tip of nose. Had him start by taking ranges with circle above coyote and slowly lower it until it would read. He said as soon as aiming circle was at the top of its back it would pick-up. He then backed off about as far as was possible due to location and tried again. Said it was very hard to see coyote with 5X magnafication but was able to get readings of 1523 yds.

Do the same thing from below and up and from left and right.

i have a water tower that i can see from my house but i've never had a reading of it. it was my first target to try. 3135, the first reading i ever got from mine. it is one bad-A rangefinder!

Checked outside diameter of circle yesterday while at the range. It measured close to 4 1/4" at 100 yds. Optics are clear enough to see a metal T-post at 1000 yds.

Checked outside diameter of circle yesterday while at the range. It measured close to 4 1/4" at 100 yds. Optics are clear enough to see a metal T-post at 1000 yds.

I asked Vectonix about the size of the circle and they told its 1mil so you are right on.
Elmer

Furthest reading yet. Just after sunset. 4837 yds off a cedar tree, and some readings in the 1600-1800 + on black cows.
The laser is visable for a split second through night vision optics.

I also recieved a reply to the letter I sent to Vectronix in Switzerland suggesting that an MOA reticle might be of interest to USA users. Reply as follows. "Vectronix has his roots in the military marke, therefore a Mil ranging reticle is inside the TERRAPIN. However your suggestion is very appreciated. Most likely the next version of TERRAPIN will have a MOA reticle inside."

i've ranged a water tower from my deck at 4851 yards. but what is impressive to me is i can filter out readings that are out to a certain range. in this case the very top branches are in the path and would only give me readings of 70 some yards until i set the minimum distance to 200 yards and wham! 4851! this morning i ranged a crow at 554 yards on a flat field. i think a swaro would work well for me probably 95% of the time with the way we hunt here. mostly shooting into another mountain and readings can be obtained because of this. i bought the terrapin because of it's ability to range between other objects and it's potential to range objects on a flat surface.

Warning! This thread is more than 13 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.