Terminus proving to be sweet!! New rifle 725 yard groups

matt_3479

My latest build was finished up a couple weeks ago and have been doing load development. I haven't finished but wanted to try a few groups at 725 to see where we stand

rifle is terminus Zeus action
Ks barrel
Mpa comp chassis
Tt diamond
Insite heathen brake
Chambered in 25 creedmoor with 131's blackjacks

hoping I can play with seating depths and shrink the sd's a little. Barrel is slower then I'd like but I hit pressures at 2980-3030 range but it seems there's a node there.
6C90DA5B-1304-422C-85A2-B725C2D227AC.jpeg

761ADDEA-D118-4A29-B3DE-36CDCF7D4D98.png

429F5D1F-1AC7-4DD2-B722-16DB552A41D4.png

1A918286-BD9A-4ED4-B261-660A691A2FE6.jpeg

My latest build was finished up a couple weeks ago and have been doing load development. I haven't finished but wanted to try a few groups at 725 to see where we stand

rifle is terminus Zeus action
Ks barrel
Mpa comp chassis
Tt diamond
Insite heathen brake
Chambered in 25 creedmoor with 131's blackjacks

hoping I can play with seating depths and shrink the sd's a little. Barrel is slower then I'd like but I hit pressures at 2980-3030 range but it seems there's a node there.
View attachment 195761

View attachment 195762

View attachment 195763

View attachment 195764
To me those velocities sound about right. I wouldn't expect anymore than 2950 with the 25 creed. If you think about it, the 6.5 creed only does about 2950-3000 at best with 130s so in theory the 25 is going to be a smidge slower than that due to the smaller bore and pressure limitations. I think the 3050 that black jack says the 25 creed is capable of is pretty optimistic. Great shooting rifle though! I'd be really happy with that. At 2900 fps that 131 is still a laser

To me those velocities sound about right. I wouldn't expect anymore than 2950 with the 25 creed. If you think about it, the 6.5 creed only does about 2950-3000 at best with 130s so in theory the 25 is going to be a smidge slower than that due to the smaller bore and pressure limitations. I think the 3050 that black jack says the 25 creed is capable of is pretty optimistic. Great shooting rifle though! I'd be really happy with that. At 2900 fps that 131 is still a laser

I was kind of doubtful of that I'd get 3000 but was hopeful. My smiths running 42 at 2960 same reamer so and he hit 2990 without pressure. I hit pressure closer to 2960 and when I'm in that 2990 range I have heavy bolt lift!! During my pressure testing it seemed to have a potentional node in the pressure zone just don't want to ruin my brass or barrel life.

How many rounds through the barrel? KS makes great barrels. Ive got 3 of them and they all shoot very well. They speed up though same as other barrels.

How many rounds through the barrel? KS makes great barrels. Ive got 3 of them and they all shoot very well. They speed up though same as other barrels.

after tonight 246. It has just sped up. I don't know if it's in the middle of speeding up or if it's had and it's there now. My initial ladder tests show 25-50fps difference in my most recent ladder.

I actually dont know anyone that shoots ks barrels but my smith said there turn around time is excellent and they guarantee .5 moa on there barrels or the smith does with there barrel so I figured why not.

I can't afford a fancy custom action and barrel, and chassis, or high-zoot scope, or one of them new-fangled computerized group measuring doohickeys and high tech chronographs. Heck, I can't even afford to shoot 5 shot groups.... So a ruger American in a LSS topped by a Bushnell and 3 rounds per target, measured by a Stanley steel tape, has to get me by..... And I'm too lazy to haul my steel out to 725, so I just leave it right at 700 yards.

I agree, BJ is very optimistic IMO. I have had my numbers ran in QuickLoad and another program of that nature and they are way over pressure based on my slow loads that I'm using. I know in MY gun running 2872 average is not wet friendly at all. We had a match that the rounds got wet loading and I had to beat the bolt open with my palm. I'm waiting for some better weather and back it off and find a mode I can shoot in any weather.

I also have a 6 Creedmoor, it and the 25 are so close at the speeds I'm able to run I'm not seeing any big advantage to running the 25. Maybe barrel life, but I'm less than 500 rounds through the 25 so it's too early to tell right now. This isn't to say I don't like the 25, I do, but IMO it doesn't live up to the hype. Maybe I have a dude?

I agree, BJ is very optimistic IMO. I have had my numbers ran in QuickLoad and another program of that nature and they are way over pressure based on my slow loads that I'm using. I know in MY gun running 2872 average is not wet friendly at all. We had a match that the rounds got wet loading and I had to beat the bolt open with my palm. I'm waiting for some better weather and back it off and find a mode I can shoot in any weather.

I also have a 6 Creedmoor, it and the 25 are so close at the speeds I'm able to run I'm not seeing any big advantage to running the 25. Maybe barrel life, but I'm less than 500 rounds through the 25 so it's too early to tell right now. This isn't to say I don't like the 25, I do, but IMO it doesn't live up to the hype. Maybe I have a dude?
Nah you dont have a dud. It's exactly what you said. Hype. Were talking about a bore size so close to 6mm and 6.5mm that the difference your going to see is pretty insignificant ,if any, once you get out in the field and start shooting it. He has a product to sell so he hypes it up. I get it that's buisness. In reality, one could take a 6mm, 25, or a 6.5 creed and perform just as well with one as another. I don't have anything against the .257, that's just how I view it.

I can't afford a fancy custom action and barrel, and chassis, or high-zoot scope, or one of them new-fangled computerized group measuring doohickeys and high tech chronographs. Heck, I can't even afford to shoot 5 shot groups.[]/quote]

LOL. Can we be friends?

I agree.The 25 @2915 (latest tested load) proves to be more drop at 1000 over my 6creed @3100 but is more effective in the wind which is what counts for me anyways. But with BJ giving out high hopes it would of beaten my 6 creed in every which way

Warning! This thread is more than 4 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.