300 yard groups

bcoving

I am having a gun built (7mm mag #5 broughton 26" manners stock) and was wondering what guys with custom or semi custom guns consider good 300 yard groups. I don't mean whats the best group you ever shot or what your gun can do. What I'm asking is on any given day what will your gun shoot at 300 yards.

My opinion only here. At or below .75" is exceptional for a hunting rifle. .75-1.00" is outstanding and 1.00-1.25 is very good. 1.25-1.5 is normal and IMHO the standard to which a hunting rifle is measured. 1.5-1.75 I can live with but dont want to. 2" is acceptable for very large game such as elk and moose. Sometimes those big heavy bullets can be tricky to shoot well at longer ranges at very high velocities but given the size of the targets, I can live with it. 3" means I take the gun back to the smith or get a new barrel.

These are however only my ideas and opinions. It takes a 1/2 MOA rifle or better to shoot 1 MOA in the field. With different lighting conditions, air densities and other factors it really takes a 1/2 MOA gun or better to hit a 1 MOA target. If all youre getting is 1 MOA at t he range, hitting a 1 MOA target at other distances in other circumstances becomes increasingly difficult. When you have some accuracy to spare, hitting a 1 MOA target becomes much easier. A deer's lungs are about 8". At 800 yards, that is a 1 MOA target. It is good to have a 1/2 MOA or even sub 1/2 MOA rifle to attempt such a shot and that is provided lighting and other factors are good espescially when youre a bit more nervous than on the range.

Just my .02

Good, bad, or otherwise... I find that my typical group at 300yds off a bipod and rear bag is around 1.25"-1.75" (inches, not MOA) with my rifles. I have shot groups as small as .6", but I've also shot some that go 2" in the switchy/variable winds that the 300yd range I shoot on gets.

So if I do my load development at 300 yards somewhere between 1" to 1.5" is what I should shoot for.

Warning! This thread is more than 15 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.