Tell me about your Schmidt & Bender rifle scope

I bought a SB PMII at the insistence of the guy that built my last rifle. It is a 13lb varmint gun intended for use as an ELR marmot rifle.
As a guide for over 30 years I've had the chance to look through a lot of scopes, but no other scope I've looked through has the resolution that this 4-16x50 has. I've used it to take marmots out past 1400 yards, and shots out at the mile mark. The optics are incredible, and the turrets are absolutely accurate and repeatable.

I bought mine from Darrell Holland with his ART reticle. My custom .270 WSM would wear one of his Klassic 3-12X42's if I had discovered it before I bought a NF 2.5-10.

I would have gone with the 3-20, but couldn't find one at the time I was getting my rifle together. At a mile that 16 power is getting weak.

There was a thread on Snipershide that was tracking optic failures and S&B had one of the highest failure rates, they were keeping back ups for them at the classes. I'd track down Frank Galli at from SH at Shot for an honest non fan boy opinion.

I have numerous SB PMII 5x25 scopes, and recently sent three of them back at the same time for repair. They were sent to warranty repair in VA, but then forwarded to Germany for actual repair...
The paperwork that came back with the scopes indicate that the scopes were repaired, but I was never afforded the particulars.
I sent them back because they were not tracking....

Here in the UK we have to contend with very much more restrictive, draconian laws designed to limit the amount and type of firearms we own. Therefore applying for and owning an additional rifle can be very much an investment. Being restricted in quantity you can own can mean more disposable income for the optics, accessories, etc.

I first started hunting in Scotland. Where visibility is often hampered with rain, mist and fog. Where your one and only chance of a shot occurs at either first or last light.

I've always followed a piece of advice given by a ghillie I respect, 'spend at least as much on your glass, as you did your rifle.' On countless occassions i've watched fellow stalkers shake their heads in frustrationn as their scope sight picture have 'greyed out' whilst i can still see perfectly clearly. In some cases for extended periods.

I just don't get it. They spend so much money on the rifle of their choice, all the hunting clothing and kit, the trip, possibly extended travel and they willingly restrict the conditions, distnce and time in which they can hunt by using inferior glass.

You need not re-mortgage the house for a scope. A fixed power scope will serve perfectly well for most situations. I still regularly use a Schmidt & Bender x10 scope that I bought almost 15yrs ago and have shot many deer with. Its since been serviced twice, free of charge and optically is still superior to many mid priced scopes. Truly, how often do you actually use the variable power magnification? If like me, you have at best a couple of settings that it permanently sits on.

I own and regularly use scopes manufactured by Schmidt & Bender, Swarovski, Zeiss, Kahles, Nightforce, Doctor and March. They all have their unique features and peculiarities but are similar in that they are optically excellent.

Folks will suggest Sightron, Bushnell, Burris, Vortex, etc. I've tried them and found them wanting. Years ago I devised two tests:
The first is where i place an A4 sized piece of brown cardboard in the shade of a tree, 200 yds away. The test is to swap between the scopes, recording how late in the evening I can clearly identify the black deer shape.
The second test is simply swapping between scopes whilst viewing the tiles on a roof, at least 200 yds away. Again recording how late in evening (how dark) i can clearly see the individual tiles.
Every few years the shooting media shout about a new scope manufacturer who buck the trend by offerring a cheap scope which supposedly matches the capabilities of the leading brands. I always try to test such scopes when friends fall for the hype. They never compare well.

Time and again folks have viewed through my binoculars and scopes, shaken their heads and bemoaned their own. I always offer the same advice, ' Budget at least the same amount for your scope as you did the rifle. Buy the best that you can afford and if on a hunting rifle, buy a fixed power when unable to afford a variable.

Lastly, two high-mid priced manufacturers that are often overlooked, I use and respect are Kahles and Steiner. Steiner make practically all of the military binoculars and vehicle sight systems used by european armies. Kahles where previously owned by Swarovski and benefit from the same quality of components and quality control. Kahles also tended to offer the more tactical / military type scopes that Swarovski traditionally distances themselves from. Hence them being the scope of choice on most nations SSG69s (Israel, Brazil, Saudi).

Warning! This thread is more than 10 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.