Tell me about your Schmidt & Bender rifle scope

Len Backus

Administrator
Staff member
I've only looked through one on a rifle one time for just a minute. I am curious about what actual users like about them.

Also even more curious about which models with which optional features our LRH guys use.

So fire away!

I currently own several of the better rifle scopes, Leupold, Nightforce, IOR, March etc.
all of these are great scopes. None of these hold a candlestick to my S&B PM3. The March is the closest but when the money is on the table the S&B is the only choice. Nightforce is the BIG name here and is found on the Various firing lines more often than not. I contribute it to many follow the leader without even looking at the S&B due to price. Those who ring in Nightforce is due to never having the chance to compare the two or let alone owning one. March and IOR are better glass than the Nightforce, again they are considerably more money.......As a end statement, for those that are not willing to afford big glass they need to check out a very overlooked scope, Burris. FOR THE MONEY THEY ARE THE BEST VALUE. I am just a user of these and this is what I see ( pun intended) in owning these. PM Bruce Ventura for the "scientific" explanation and see if he agrees. It would be interesting to hear his professional thoughts and unbiased opinion.

I've only looked through one on a rifle one time for just a minute. I am curious about what actual users like about them.

Idaho Elk Hunter, respectfully, I bought the Nightforce ATACR over a year ago. An element of follow the leader, as folks I respect used and recommend them.

Truly at the time expense did not bother me, and was prepared to get the "best".

I was able to examine Nightforce in the field (friends), examine and handle the ATACR at the local Cabela's.

The Schmidt and Bender may quite well be best, but like Len I've looked through one, for one minute years ago. Pretty tough to commit to something like that sight unseen.

Hopefully, at the heart of this I'm not trying change the track of the thread, but I sense Len's question is a variation of my own-Where and how can these great scopes be examined? Bruce has great opinions, but I am interested in your experience, and how you came to know what you know. Again, intended respectfully.

I have two long range scopes. First is a S&B 5-25x56 PMII and second is one of the first models Nightforce NXS 5.5-22x50. Both scopes are mechanically perfect and are rugged. When it comes to optical performance S&B is much better. I also prefer the features on the S&B. The thing that I hate on NF is the illuminated reticle which is useless for hunting in low light.

Otherwise I think it is a little bit about personal preferences but when I look to buy a LR scope I always look to get S&B except if money would be a problem I would choose something else...

I have compared them side by side. I am able to do this due to I OWN them. I have a ACTAR, and a NXS 12x42x56. The 12x42 is on my 50BMG. It was on my 338-378 Weatherby, now my S&B sits on my working rifles. The 50 is a novelty and 338 is a long distance working rifle. When a hunting season and many dollars are on the line for success to come to a micro second when the firearm has to go off in any weather and probably in low light situations. Then I believe a $4500 investment in the scope is nothing. I BUY THE SCOPE for the hunt.

I think of it this way. I have a $7500 custom that will shot in the .16 range all day. Lets go put it on a gong at 1760yds. WITH OPEN BUCKHORN SITES! Scopes matter.

I have never been one to follow the leader and I always question those that do. I guess that is part of what makes leaders and followers. If you start leading, then you will see the followers repeating the name they read a lot about. No true experience with the different products they promote is used to state there opinion! True leaders will value their own true experiences and form their knowledge gained by facts, not by following. THESE PEOPLE MAKE S&B number 1.

Len:

I've got two Premier Heritage 5-25x scopes which are reported to be first cousins to the S&B 5-25x PM II. Evidently they were, at least in part, designed and components manufactured by S&B. The features that impress me most....really clear/crisp image with vibrant colors, outstanding turrets that are extremely precise in terms of repeatability, easy to use zero stops and all around robustness.

My eyes really appreciate what ever coatings the German sourced glass comes with. I find I have much less eye fatigue. I find this with my IOR and now a Kahles K 624i....all use Schott glass just as S&B, Zeiss etc. I've found my Sightron S III's, NightForce NXS and BR models to all lean towards a more yellow hue and not as crisp. I've not had the pleasure to look through an F1 or Razor GenII yet....so perhaps it would be a wash.

Just my humble impressions,

Wayne

When a hunting season and many dollars are on the line for success to come to a micro second when the firearm has to go off in any weather and probably in low light situations. Then I believe a $4500 investment in the scope is nothing. I BUY THE SCOPE for the hunt. Scopes matter.

Thank you for outlining your personal experience, I completely agree with the above.

Personally, I consider myself neither leader or follower, more anti-social than anything.

Gathering information from respected sources (in which you're included) is a vital part of pre-purchase research.

The very final portion of making an independent decision though is in the hands on segment.

I find this to be the most difficult portion of choosing Schmidt & Bender, Premier, or US Optics. My question to you is, where and how can one kick the tires on one of what I'm certain are fine scopes. Certainly not locally where I am. How did you get your first hands on experience with S&B?

My question to you is, where and how can one kick the tires on one of what I'm certain are fine scopes. Certainly not locally where I am. How did you get your first hands on experience with S&B?

I know the answer to your question: :)

You attend the SHOT Show next week and stop at the S & B booth.

Although, let's face it, without a chance to test an optic in low light and with a rigid rest, a trade show really isn't the best chance.

But I"ll try!

The SHOT show is on my bucket list-if you have an extra pass next year I can get a cart and haul your samples. LOL.

I can be a bit of tactile learner, twisting the knobs means a lot to me.

I will be at the SHOT show working at my inlaws booth. To answer the question of where I was able to see them. I work for my wifes family at their firearms manufacturing facility as the custom shop manager and lead gunsmith for over 40 years. When you see and work with the best it is easy to see the difference. For a person to compare them side by side would be difficult to say the least. I do not know of any retail outlet that would have a variety of these top quality components to inspect. The Shot show is the only choice if you feel the need to see to believe....I can save you the hassle.. Buy a S&B..

Since you mentioned I just missed as new a March 3-24x52 What are your thoughts on this scope. I want the weight savings as a 50 + guy and hike alot.I favor mil and ffp.

I guess I'm pretty lucky. I have a number of local shops that carry all the long range scopes I've ever heard of. Just the other day I took a S&B and Kahles and compared them outside the shop.

Top quality glass, and lightweight, do not fit in the same sentence.
Top quality glass and durability do. If a person is to spend the $4000 for a superior product then that person is wanting no warranty issues FOREVER. Even if they purchase the renound product used they are buying the reputation of quality. If the product gives any sign of weakness the manufacture looses credibility.

Light weight scopes will use smaller tubes (less light) Thinner glass, Thinner metal, Less and thinner seals. less shock proof,all in all less mass equals less quality and the end result is lighter weight and weakness.

For a lighter weight scope that is adequate a person should check into Leupold. They are not the lightest but they have a great blend of durability and weight.

MANY years ago we contracted to a scope manufacturer to brand our rifle name on their scope and sold them along with our rifles. WHAT A DISASTER. I was doing quality control and warranties at that time. I learned a lot about scopes at that time. We checked into all available options to continue the optics venture to accompany our rifles. The end result was there was not a scope made at that time that the the technology available to produce a scope light enough to with stand the shock of high velocity magnum caliber pushing a Partition weighing 270 grains and above. We stepped down from the optics game and set back to watch Thompson Contender make the same mistake! How Times Have Changed!

I will be at the SHOT show working at my inlaws booth. To answer the question of where I was able to see them. I work for my wifes family at their firearms manufacturing facility as the custom shop manager and lead gunsmith for over 40 years. When you see and work with the best it is easy to see the difference. For a person to compare them side by side would be difficult to say the least. I do not know of any retail outlet that would have a variety of these top quality components to inspect. The Shot show is the only choice if you feel the need to see to believe....I can save you the hassle.. Buy a S&B..

Thank you!

Warning! This thread is more than 10 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Recent Posts