Tell Me About the 300 WBY

Well, since I live in Charleston I've got some work to do to find steep terrain. Highest and steepest we got is the Ravenel Bridge haha
You could try using an altitude mask, which simulates the altitude you will be hunting at.

I've only hunted deer on the east coast so I'm a newbie when it comes to magnums.

I've got a mid-90s Japanese Mark 5 in 300 WBY and I'm thinking about using it for an elk hunt in Montana next year. The guy I'll be using as a guide told me that the terrain is a little rough since I'm a nonresident and my general tag doesn't get the best draw I guess? So I'm worried about the weight being a little much at 8.5lbs and wondering if I should get a different gun in a different caliber, keep this one, or get a lighter Weatherby in 300 WBY.
I have had a 300 Weatherby in a Ruger No.1. It was a wonder rifle. Just too expensive to shoot. I may in the near future pick up another one. I just really like it. I had no brake but I loved shooting it.

I've only hunted deer on the east coast so I'm a newbie when it comes to magnums.

I've got a mid-90s Japanese Mark 5 in 300 WBY and I'm thinking about using it for an elk hunt in Montana next year. The guy I'll be using as a guide told me that the terrain is a little rough since I'm a nonresident and my general tag doesn't get the best draw I guess? So I'm worried about the weight being a little much at 8.5lbs and wondering if I should get a different gun in a different caliber, keep this one, or get a lighter Weatherby in 300 WBY.

I've carried a Weatherby Alaskan (standard weight Mark-V) or an Accumark (a bit heavier) through the mountains, and either gets a bit heavy. Each also shoots extremely well. There is generally a tradeoff between rifles that are easy to cary and those that shoot well. Most hunters would do better losing the 2-3 pounds off their butt and gut as they get in shape for a mountain hunt. Losing 2-3 pounds ANYWHERE means that much less for your legs and lungs to deal with.

That said, if money was no object, the new 6.5 Weatherby RPM in their Mark V Backcountry Ti is something to drool over! While I prefer larger cartridges for elk, (I cary a .300 Weatherby or .338/378 Weatherby for elk.) the 6.5 RPM Backcountry TI would be hard not to reach for on a mountain hunt if there was one in the safe.

We've all mentioned recoil mainly because it is more than your average whitetail round. But, one thing I've noticed in my hunts with my unbraked Weatherby cal rifles: I've never noticed the recoil when shooting at an animal. Not once. Even with an unbraked .340 Wby Mag. In my memory, the recoil was no different than shooting a whitetail with my .270 Win.

Now, at the range going through a box of shells...

Take your .300 Wby. Get in the best shape you can from now up to your hunt. Have fun and make sure to tell us about how it all went.

In my book the 300 wby is the best elk gun around. I re-barreled, re-stocked and custom muzzled braked my 89 model (2012). The brake made shooting it pleasant. Accurate as ever 1/2 moa.

Find the steepest terrain to climb you can and take short breaths while moving up as fast as you can!

Find the steepest terrain you have access to and climb it as fast as you can while taking the smallest breaths you can! Physical conditioning is great but there is no way I found to get used to the altitude difference from the 2500' elevation to 7-10000' elevation. Ps if a local says eat a banana, do it! Good luck the 300 wby will serve you well!

I am in no way suggesting such an exercise regimen. My cardio workout is 30-45 mins on treadmill at 20% grade maintaining below 150 BPM heart rate and the same amount of time on weights (toning) 3X a week all year around for the last 15 years. In addition, I put ~20 miles hiking with my dog per week. My goal is not to die up in mountain because I did not prepare myself for the hunt ... so far it's working for me.

Last edited:
It is great to read this discussion on the physical demands of our chosen obsession (and on the 300 wby!)! Maybe an additional page for fitness-related topics on this forum would be beneficial since it is such an essential... but terribly overlooked component. That said, my guess is it would be one of the slowest sections in the forum. 😅

It's really sad how many hunts are ruined due to physical limitations and/or lack of fitness. A friend who guides here in AK just returned from a hunt with an older guy... they did all they could but they knew (barring a miracle) they'd come back dry because their client just couldn't get where he needed to be. Unfortunately, it happens all the time.

To echo what others have said... START NOW, and BE CONSISTENT. If you're over 50 and well out of shape, it will take a solid year to see the kind of progress that will make a real difference on your hunt (and in your life). Don't worry about adjusting for altitude. Get good instruction, hit it hard, and it will take care of itself.

How has the temperature stability of the H1000 been for you? I'm looking for the most stable powder that will fill the case.

66, H1000 is a Hodgdon Extreme powder, very temp stable. Fairly scarce presently since it's versitile and everyone wants a 2 year supply. RL26 is close to H1000 and temp stable, but quite difficult to find. IMR7977 is their Enduron line which is quite temp stable. This is very close in burn rate to H1000. Again none of the three can be come by easily for most areas.

I am in now way suggesting such an exercise regimen. My cardio workout is 30-45 mins on treadmill at 20% grade maintaining below 150 BPM heart rate and the same amount of time on weights (toning) 3X a week all year around for the last 15 years. In addition, I put ~20 miles hiking with my dog per week. My goal is not to die up in mountain because I did not prepare myself for the hunt ... so far it's working for me.

I won't be that rigorous but I'll do something similar. I think our hikes to the hunting grounds will only be 2-3 miles, but depending on terrain that could be rough. I have a phone call with the guide tonight to get some more details so I'll share them here.

66, H1000 is a Hodgdon Extreme powder, very temp stable. Fairly scarce presently since it's versitile and everyone wants a 2 year supply. RL26 is close to H1000 and temp stable, but quite difficult to find. IMR7977 is their Enduron line which is quite temp stable. This is very close in burn rate to H1000. Again none of the three can be come by easily for most areas.
Thank you. Trying to work up a 230gr heavy load for my 300 H&H

I won't be that rigorous but I'll do something similar. I think our hikes to the hunting grounds will only be 2-3 miles, but depending on terrain that could be rough. I have a phone call with the guide tonight to get some more details so I'll share them here.

From my experience, guides don't want to scare off potential paying clients so they will say fitness matters but not go as far as they should. Fitness is the limiting factor in many if not most Western and mountain hunts. Going downhill with a load is harder on most hunters than going uphill. Leg extensions and squats are at least as important as aerobic work.

I won't say it will take a year to get in shape for a mountain hunt because I don't know what condition you are starting in or the nature of the mountain hunt. On some hunts you can ride a horse within a mile of where you will end up. Contrast that with my last Western hunt where my GPS tracked 13,600' of vertical climb on foot, up and down mountainsides — in ONE day. (Yes, I got a nice bull that day.) We spotted a herd on the move and that is what it took to get ahead of them. Most hunters would not have caught up and gotten ahead of them.

Nothing wrong with the 300 Wby's killing power, perfectly suitable for all game in Alaska, even though I'm powermad I still preferred the 300 Wby over the 30-378 for some reason, still have both but like the 340 Wby more... now there is a classc do-all big game cartridge ! Runs right up there with the much vaunted 338 Lapua

lots of shooters are excited by the influx of new 30 cal "super bullets" and how they boost performance in the 300 Win Mag and the 300 PRC,

well ... "CCM"
Case
Capacity
Matters

and the 300 "Bee" has a much more potent sting

Jaw: The 300WBY with 180 good bullet will do the job, 200 will do better job. Shoot a few different weights to see what floats your boat. That rifle should shoot fine. I have friend who has one and it will hold MOA easily. Get into shape is a wide open discussion. I am 70 and still hunt at altitude. Walk at least 8-10 miles by the time of the hunt rolls around. Diet is an another discussion that you will get 1000's of suggestions but easy to do. Just don't eat second helpings, lean it down, cut sugars, more veggies and fruit. Done. The biggest recommendation I can say to you is get to the location at least 3 days in advance to allow your body to acclimate naturally at the altitude or close to it. You will be able to hit the ground running first day of hunt instead of sucking lungs. Give up the extra vacation time to have a better hunt, it is worth it. Grab a pair of trekking poles from Wally World for under $19. I have bought $$$ ones and they didn't last long. The Wally World trekking poles have adjustable cam locks for tightness and are adjustable for height. Stupid cheap and they work. I am 6'4" 255 svelte :eek: and they have held up for three years on some physical hunts like the Badlands back country and CO high terrain. They will help offset any physical limitations a bit and give you 4x4 grip climbing and descending. Worth every effort to bring them and can be used as shooting sticks if need be.
Walmart Link: Wally Trekking Poles

Hunting elk is far different than whitetails back east, I am from upstate NY originally and can attest to the eye opening difference when you realize the distances they travel and the distance you will travel finding them and or chasing them. Which gets back to walking or running the miles to be prepared.

BTW - sounds like the hook has been set but once you go, it will become a lifetime obsession I bet! The scenery alone will knock your eyeballs out! I hunted the Adirondacks a lot and they are beautiful in their own right BUT there is nothing like the Rockies, the experience is like nothing else.

Bring a decent camera to capture the beauty for long lasting memories!

I have owned a few 300 Bees. Hang on to that Japan built Mark V. Lots of great suggestions here. Your outfitter knows best. It is a catch 22 in that kind of terrain but if you take a cross canyon shot 8.5 pounds or more helps. Pack it and have fun!
Mine was made in Germany. I really like it but don't shoot it much. Last time I shot it was about 6 years ago. I chronographed a 165 gr. at 3450 fps with RL22. It sure is flat shooting though. When I shoot prone, it lays the daisies low.

Warning! This thread is more than 4 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.