Tell Me About the 300 WBY

jaw719

I've only hunted deer on the east coast so I'm a newbie when it comes to magnums.

I've got a mid-90s Japanese Mark 5 in 300 WBY and I'm thinking about using it for an elk hunt in Montana next year. The guy I'll be using as a guide told me that the terrain is a little rough since I'm a nonresident and my general tag doesn't get the best draw I guess? So I'm worried about the weight being a little much at 8.5lbs and wondering if I should get a different gun in a different caliber, keep this one, or get a lighter Weatherby in 300 WBY.

I've only hunted deer on the east coast so I'm a newbie when it comes to magnums.

I've got a mid-90s Japanese Mark 5 in 300 WBY and I'm thinking about using it for an elk hunt in Montana next year. The guy I'll be using as a guide told me that the terrain is a little rough since I'm a nonresident and my general tag doesn't get the best draw I guess? So I'm worried about the weight being a little much at 8.5lbs and wondering if I should get a different gun in a different caliber, keep this one, or get a lighter Weatherby in 300 WBY.

The .300 WBTY if it shoots accurately and you can handle the recoil (an excellent muzzle brake will help mitigate this issue) would make an excellent elk chambering for up to 1K plus yards. Load it with 215/230 Berger and you're golden. However, "IF" you have a problem carrying a 8.5 in the MT wilderness esp. when it is guided, then it is not for you. The "NUT" behind the trigger remains the biggest factor regardless of rifle and chambering.

That's kind of why I want to get a Weathermark LT. Comes with a brake, is available in left hand and about a pound lighter.

I'm not too worried about recoil, I'll have a couple of layers on plus I'm pushing 230.

I have that same rifle in the Alaskan model (nickel plated). I do love that rifle and mine is definitely accurate. The recoil will be higher than what you're likely used to given what I'm assuming you've used for East Coast whitetails (probably a .243 to a .30-06 or somewhere in between). I don't find the recoil to be too bad and I'm 5'9" and 180#.

I have no experience with the Berger bullets @FEENIX mentions, but I do know they will be on the higher end of the recoil spectrum for your Weatherby. You might try one of the mono loads like Barnes Vortex, Weatherby Barnes loads, or Hornady's Outfitter line in a lighter weight bullet (168gr or 175gr are a good choice) as you'll get similar terminal performance with less recoil. With the speed you'll get from the .300 Weatherby, expansion out to around 800 yards is not a problem. You'll have more trouble with wind than you will with getting the bullet to expand.

Outside of adding a break, the heavier weight of your .300 will also help you manage the rifle.

I'm no expert of the 300 wby by any means but with that long neck it has, it seems like some one would have figured out the ideal throat dimension for it paired up with a 215 berger or a 225/230gr bullet. I just didn't want to try my hand at the standard .350"ish freebore that most 300 weatherbys have and I haven't saw many reamer options other than the standard saami with the long freebore. All that being said, Im sure there's plenty of folks out there whose getting fine accuracy with a 300 weatherby.

I am sure I will get a lot of hate mail for this. A 300 needs a brake? I know a woman in south africa that guides for buffalo with a 458 and she is 5 foot 6 and weighs 120 pounds. A 300 or 338 or 340 will get your attention but they are not shockers. I think it is our culture. In Africa teenagers shoot big rifles and think nothing of it. Practice and do not be afraid. I just finished a 300 PRC with a 5 weight hart in a laminated Richards stock with the old style ventilated pachmeyer pad. Pussycat. I think part of the trouble is people put decelerator pads on bigger guns and they are dam poor for this. Too soft and they give the rifle a running start at you.

This bad boy is probly my most favorite of moose and elk.. shooting 190gr nosler and H1000 3/4 moa

Attachments

• 20200406_135742.jpg
    20200406_135742.jpg
    1.7 MB · Views: 399
That's kind of why I want to get a Weathermark LT. Comes with a brake, is available in left hand and about a pound lighter.

I'm not too worried about recoil, I'll have a couple of layers on plus I'm pushing 230.

This boils down to personal preference, "IF" a pound lighter is what you think you need, go for it. Most of my LRH rifles are in the 10-12 lbs range. Good luck!

I've got a 14 pound 30" 300wby that sends 215 Bergers over 3200 FPS. Absolute cannon and recoil is a no factor in such a heavy rifle. I've shot a couple ultra light builds. One had a 25" #3 contour in a mcmillan edge and a Vx5. Entire gun was 8.2 lbs, that was some pretty stiff recoil shooting 20 accubonds but still tolerable. Maybe I am just not recoil sensitive but at 6'1 200 I'm not a huge guy. The 300wby when throated for 210/215 Bergers is elk medicine to the 10th degree. I've shot white tails with it out to 1140 yards.

Muzzle brake is NOT for everybody, it is a personal choice/preference. An effective muzzle brake (and there's quite a few of them) serves two purposes, reduction of felt recoil and reduction of muzzle rise (this is often overlooked). The ability to spot target on impact is priceless.

I am not recoil sensitive but majority of my rifles sports a muzzle brake/suppressor.

Hunting weight can be mitigated in many ways. I want a rifle that I'm comfortable in the hunting environment. For hunting in Idaho, my rifles include three light weight rifles (a .270 Tikka T3 Lite, a 7mm-08 X-Bolt Stallker, and a semi-custom 6.5 Creedmoor), 20 - 24" barrels and light weight scopes. My heavier rifles are a Rem 700 BDL 7 mag and a custom 300 PRC. 26" barrels and bigger, heavier scopes. I mitigate rifle weight via working out & losing weight (168 lbs), lighter boots, lighter weight clothes and my pack. Personally, I'd be fine with your 300 Wby (it's similar to my 7 mag & 300 PRC).
You will get some good tips from this forum, but it all comes done to your call. Can you practice hiking up hills with your proposed setup? Your guide says the terrain is a "little rough." I'd ask for more info.
Get in shape or stay in shape :)

Last edited:
Warning! This thread is more than 4 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.