tell me about the 338 Sin

shooterpunk2

I know there is a massive thread about the 338 Sin, but i dont want to read through that many pages. Can someone tell me about this cartridge? is someone making brass for it yet? The little ive heard makes it sound like its between the 338 winmag and 338 edge or RUM, is that correct? What are some velocities with 225 and 250 grain bullets?

Thanks a bunch guys.

Performance is between the 340 wby and the RUM's. There is 125 fps betwen there and the 338 SIN fills that about half way. The beauty of the cartridge is that it is short about the same length as the 338 winchester allowing for seating bullets out long while still feeding well through the magazine. I use 330 Dakota brass for mine. It makes a short throat similar to the Gibbs cartridges but I have not had a problem with that. I think most of my accuracy loads hit around 3100 fps with the 225 grain cutting edge bullet at .64 bc.

The cartridge is a very efficient design similar to the short mags allowing it to utilize very fast burning powders giving it excellent velocity in short barrels. Mine is a 24" barrel. A 225 grain .64 bc bullet at 3100 fps makes it a 1000 yard elk rifle that does very well in a light short barreled carry or backpack style rifle. That is my style of hunting so it suits me very well. Run the numbers on JBM and see how it stacks up against others.

I went though and the 338 sin testing thread. That's an awesome elk cartridge. I really would like to build one on a savage action. Thanks LTLR

I shot all of those in it and all the 225's out of the 24" barrel were hitting accuracy loads between 3050-3150 fps. The best powders I was using last week were H-414, IMR-4350, and RE-19. I really like that 185 barnes ttsx for out to 800 or so yards in a backpack rifle. It was shooting amazingly flat and couldn't tell that much difference in the wind. I think the BC is higher than listed. It is extremely accurate at 3515 fps with 89 grains of H-414 out of my little 24" barrel. I used that bullet last year and was very impressed with it on grizzly, dall sheep and caribou out of a 338 winchester at 3200 fps. I try all kind of stuff just to see what it does.

Warning! This thread is more than 13 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.