Tell me about specialty/long range handguns

Bill

Thanks for the assitance, I'll pass on the one you have. (Thanks for the help with the little rifle.)

Doc Ed

I'll be over to look at what you have and see about a build maybe. You gonna be around this evening??

The Maryland handgun database has an ambiguity about the XP-100R (they show an "XP-100R KS" but no straight "XP-100R") and I don't want to deal with something "special" coming into the state.

The xp-100R comes only as a rear grip xp (model 7 w/magazine).
The orig. XP is a singleshot action.

FWIW if you send the bolt seperate from the rest of the gun and list it as gun parts you can save alot of moey in shipping .
This is what UPS has told me to do.

It would be more difficult (more expensive to try to convert a rear grip "R" version into a center-grip than it is a center-grip orig. XP into a rear grip.
All depends on what you want.

Dave

Gander Mtn in Fredericksburg Va has a Wichita siloutte pistol in the 7mm ISHA with fiberglass stock setting on the shelf for $650.

target sights would come off and be sold. After that I am sure that you could rechamber to another 7mm caliber or just shoot that.

BH

[ QUOTE ]
What about the MOA's ? You could probably hit a clay pigeon at 1000 yds with one.

[/ QUOTE ]

Or a PD @ 1800 yds? It was soooo close several times....

I shoot the HS's, the only problem I have had has been the stock on my first one starting to crack. sent it to HS and they replaced the stock, new paint job (stock) and re-tefloned the barrel and action. All at no cost, excellent customer service. If you are wanting one of their guns, it will run between 1800 to 2200 $$$ depending on what you want. They will not chamber any wildcats though.
hshunter /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/cool.gif

DocEd ,

I sent you an email just in case you didn't get it.
Can you give me some info on the xp actions you have w/ prices.That is of coarse if they are for sale to other members.Thanks Mike

[ QUOTE ]
Do xp's come w/ ajustable triggers?

[/ QUOTE ]

Yes they are. It has been many years since I have adjusted mine so I don't recall how difficult it is but it certainly can be done.

Grateful if one of you would take a moment to humour me on this question:

.....something is passing me by; what is the 'raison d'etre' of long range handgunning with pistols in rifle calibres?

..is it because they're lighter/more compact than rifles?

...or is it simply a 'because you can' -type challenge?

Thanks!

BD

My reason would be because they are lighter and more compact. Sometimes it a real pain (you'd probably have experience with this) to hump a big rifle, a teathered handgun would be nice for a change.

BD,
For me it was that rifles got boring/too easy. Now this was back in the late 80's and LR range wasn't really part of the picture then. I was doing a lot of PD shooting with my hunting rifle and was connecting regularly out to 1/4 mile. My first SP was a 10 inch 222 Rem barrel, then a 14 inch 7mmTCU, then a 14 inch 7-08. Another thing for me was I always liked handguns of all kinds. I also liked the challenge of it. The portability part for me was just serendipity. The LR part of it just sort of happened in the educational process of more accurate and further and by wanting to be able to reliably bring down big game in the mountains. When I killed my first antelope at just over 400 yards in 1989 w/my 7-08 XP that was LR for me (I know that is a chip shot for a # of guys here, but that was a long ways for me back then). Most of my LR big game shots have remained in the 350-550 range and it has only been in the last several years that further (500-1k) has really bitten me hard. I put PD's in a different class (I'm NOT going to be extremely upset with myself if I miss my first shot) and hope to attempt for just over 2k in 2007. I don't even own a centerfire rifle and haven't for a number of years.

Warning! This thread is more than 18 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.