Technical question about turrets.

Discussion in 'Long Range Scopes and Other Optics' started by boattailed bandit, Mar 30, 2015.

1. boattailed bandit

boattailed bandit Well-Known Member

So i have a quick question about my turret rotations and keeping up with it. The scope i have has horizontal lines numbered 1,2,etc. it comes from factory dead even at 4 as opposed to being at 0 or 1. Since this is to keep up with number of rotations would it be easier to crank it all the way down and find my zero? Or would i even be able to find the zero with it cranked that far down? I just know its easy to get caught up in what im doing and question my number of roations. If this is a stupid question please let me know. I felt i should ask before messing with my turrets since im zeroed now as is.

2. RockyMtnMT

RockyMtnMT Official LRH Sponsor

So you are not talking about the marks on the knob? You are talking about the lines on the post under the knob?

They are a reference point so you can find your way back to zero if you have made multiple full rotations in dialing up for yardage.

If I understand your question, that should be the correct answer.

Steve

3. Mikecr

Mikecr Well-Known Member

Your actual zero will be wherever the gun shoots it. This could present as anything on your turrets, as those numbers are only a reference.
    You're concern is normal and why ZERO STOPs are a popular feature.

4. gebhardt02

gebhardt02 Well-Known Member

As already stated, this is why zero stops are highly appreciated. Since you don't have that, I'll offer a suggestion.

Once you have your rifle/scope zeroed at the distance you want, take note of the exact horizontal reference mark that is closest to corresponding with the turret zeroed. Take a fine tip paint pen, and make a vertical reference mark from the horizontal line down to the bottom of the inner post. This way, instead of keeping up with an arbitrary horizontal line, you have a secondary mark illustrating which horizontal line your elevation turret needs to be aligned with.

I hope that makes sense.

Geb