Target dot

mrb1982

I am planning to someday get another scope for one of my hunting rigs. I have a target dot on my 7 RM right now and I love it. Problem is I am having troubles finding vendors that actually still make them. Am I going to have to custom order from the factory or do I have other options? Thanks in advance.

Just My opinion but, Targets dots were designed for targets and are great if the targets are round. Target dot scopes and aperture iron sites are great for matches that use bulls eye targets because they naturally line up with something round.

But for hunting, the dot tends to hold center mass on game, sometimes causing a less than perfect POI. I have tried to use both types of siting devices and found that I had better impacts when using a recital with cross hairs because I could concentrate on the point of aim and not cover it up or tend to center mass with the dot.

Like many other things, some tools are for very specific use and specialized to do the best If used correctly. Don't get me wrong though, if you like the dot better then you should get what you want. This was just a little advice from an old match shooter and hunter of over 55 years.

J E CUSTOM

I know what you are saying there, and that is what most people like. That's great. But I think too many people do what everyone else is doing and not what works for them. I have a BDC scope. I shoot targets with it just as good but just don't seem to aim as well on game for whatever reason.

Back to the original question, does anybody actually make a scope with a dot anymore without custom ordering it?

That could be an interesting hybrid. How does the glass compare to let's say a Vortex Viper? Just for comparison conversation.

I know what you are saying there, and that is what most people like. That's great. But I think too many people do what everyone else is doing and not what works for them. I have a BDC scope. I shoot targets with it just as good but just don't seem to aim as well on game for whatever reason.

Back to the original question, does anybody actually make a scope with a dot anymore without custom ordering it?

There are many Mill dot scopes that are still used but they have more than one dot and it works the same way in reality. their main intention is for ranging but could be used the same way as the target dot.

J E CUSTOM

Yeah I have a mil dot on another rifle and it does aim better for me for whatever reason. As an old target archery shooter, I am guessing I have some weird little subconscious part of my mind that just visualized better with a dot than a crosshair. Hard to say. I am ki d of intrigued by the dot in the middle of the sign from MOA reticle. I am going to have to get to a store to look at it and compare.

Warning! This thread is more than 5 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.