Target Dot

I didnt pay retail for it from leupold. I just havent tried many other scopes besides leupold so Im just not comfrotable spending cash on other scopes I know nothing about. I cant bring my self to spend the $$$$$$$$$ on nightforce yet but would love to have one.

Second Im not a very patient person so I cant wait 6-8 months for the fine duplex because my rifle will be ready before then.

I hear good things about Vortex but dont know anybody personally that has one that I could try, so Ill just keep this one and see how I like it. Whats the worst that could happen I can put it up for sale and get my cash back.

Zeiss takes about the longest turn around on reticle changes and mine took 9 weeks...but the swap was well worth my waiting.

Appears to be an interesting process. I'm not familiar with. I know they are etched into the glass because I talked to Vortex prior to buying the PST last year and it also states that somewhere on their website as well.

On the Vortex site are some interesting (and informative) video's and information.

Zeiss takes about the longest turn around on reticle changes and mine took 9 weeks...but the swap was well worth my waiting.

Leupys running about 8-10 weeks when I talked to them about this scope. I asked why I coudlnt just have them switch the reticle before they sent it to me. I was told because this scope is already put together.

That only makes sense if the scope came from a warehouse. I was under the impression that Leupold was all under one roof in but I may be wrong.

I wonder just how many subcontractors supply Leupold.....a closely kept secret I'm sure.

That only makes sense if the scope came from a warehouse. I was under the impression that Leupold was all under one roof in but I may be wrong.

I wonder just how many subcontractors supply Leupold.....a closely kept secret I'm sure.

That was straight from my person I deal with inside Leupold so, I dont know what the deal was looks like they could just snatch one piece of glass out and put in the reticle I wanted. I mean its still a brand new piece of glass just keep it and put it in the next scope it would fit. I asked them about mark4 turrets to and thats when they told me custom shops are 8-10 weeks turnaround.

I do believe in the manufacturing arena as far as optics are concerned, Leupold, Zeiss, Nightforce and Swaro are watching Vortex with interest, especially considering the fact that Leupold especially raised their prices appreciably just a month or 2 ago.

I do the exact same thing with my competition. It's good business and it gives you (as a manufacturer) a benchmark and indicator of whats acceptable and what isn't.

I'm sure that Vortex is eating into the big 4's profit margins. Actually, they have to be. Scopes aren't a dime a dozen commodity, especially the type used for LRH so the more viable manufacturers, the less sold by each manufacturer.

Interestingly, I had an issue with my AO benchrest Leupy a year ago and they offered me a 'loaner' scope while mine was back getting an issue addressed. I thought that was above and beyond what one could expect. I didn't take Leupold up on it, just sent mine in and it was repaired and returned with a 3 week turnaround plus they paid the shipping both ways.... and sent me an extra set of turrets. I paid serious money for it, 4 years prior. It's a fantastic benchrest optic.

I'm not at all sure I could expect that kind of bedside manner from Vortex, one reason I still use Leupold and will most likely buy more. Besides, that 14 kt. gold ring tells people you have wallet substance......:)

Speaking for myself only, I'd never consider a cheap scope, by that I mean the Tasco, BSA type. There is a definitive difference in cheaper glass compared to even middle segment glass. I know there are folks on here that use them but I'm not one.

I had serious post purchase qualms about the Vortex prior to the sale, but none have came about....

,,,,It just lacks the gold ring..........:D

Warning! This thread is more than 13 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.