Mueller Target Dot 8-32x44

Bob the nailer

I decided to go with a variable power scope for closer varmint hunting, currently I shoot with fixed power scopes in 12X, 16X, 24X, 36X. Any field experience with the Mueller Target Dot, side focus 8-32x44? clarity, tracking, P.O.I. shift with increased power.

Thanks

I've done a fair amount of ground squirrel hunting with Meuller's 8-32 Target and found that the field of view even on 8x is pretty small making it difficult to locate your targets. This is not a dig on Meuller's scopes as I'm very impressed with them, great glass for the money, clarity is excellent, turrets track accurately, I've noticed no POI shift with power changes. I prefer their 4.5-14 Tactical for shooting varmints. Better field of view for the task, adequate power, mil dots make it easy to make hits at extended ranges with your rimfire as you can quickly measure/range the target and use the appropriate dot for hold over.

One feature of the Meuller scopes that I've found very interesting is the parallax adjusts to from 15' to infinity. This can literally allow you to shoot flies at close range with your rimfires. The 8-32 Target really shines for punching paper. All in all they are exceptional scopes for the money. A friend of mine has one on his .50BMG and it has stood up to that test.

I love my Mueller but for close in yote hunting its the wrong scope. The field of view is way to small in close great for long shots. I'm taking mine off of my AR and going with something in the 2-8 class i was looking today but haven't found any thing yet.

Warning! This thread is more than 14 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.