Talley Scope Rings

preacherman

...any opinions on the standard talley rings (vertical split)...also, how many hands are required to install a set of these?... & how would you locate a level or two to "plumb" the scope reticle? thanks for looking... Larry

I saw some on a Dakota the other day, pretty slick. I didn't install them, so I can't comment.
As to plumbing the scope, if youre going to be holding over for LR, definately, use a plumb on the reticle, and a level on the action. if youre going to be clicking your comeups, its probably better to level from the turret, since there is usually some misalignment that will throw "level" out of wack between the turret and the reticle. Even Leupold has turned out some that are way off. Their quality controll says the reticle can be of several degrees before they will label it defective.

Abinok... thanks for the reply... I have a set of detachables ordered... will post info if I learn anything worthwhile...

...I usually level the action off the bottom ring half & then level the reticle off the turret + plumb line, but haven't yet figured out easy way to level the action with the vertical rings, bases or whatever? thanks again, Larry

Larry i have a couple of pairs of Talleys, they are not too hard to install. You have 2 screws on the bottom & 2 on the top of the rings, plus there is one big screw on underneath the ring that clamps on the base.
You take the rings apart ,[be carefull when you do that there is a little spring in between the bottom screws dont loose it], put your scope in tighten the bottom screws FIRST
make sure you can still rotate the scope where you want it secure it on the base and then do the top screws.I havent had one move yet.

Greek... thanks for the very good info... glad I went with the double screw detachable now...I have installed a pair of standard rings with the single screw top & bottom... a little tricky keeping it all together without being able to rest the scope on the bottom ring half... also easy to scratch the scope tube... any suggestions as to how to level the action before "plumbing" the reticle? ...thanks again, Larry

Larry i couldnt help you with leveling the reticle because i cant even get mine to level, and i bought this reticle leveler and still cant do a good job.When it looks level thru the leveler it looks crooked to my eyes so i just feel better to place it where it looks good to my eyes.
The bad thing is that i can be right on @100 and when i click up to 700yrds i hit the target on the right side every time /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/confused.gif

Larry, I assuming we are talking about a round top reciever of some kind? Theres an easy solution if its a square top.

Abinok... thanks for responding... receiver is "round" (model 22 Cooper 25-06)... usually I level the action off the bottom half of the ring, but with the vertically split Talleys, have to find another method... my plan is to level the "base" & somehow attach another level somewhere which agrees with the first one, remove the first one & install the rings + "plumb" the reticle... of course, this or any method could be way off, so the old "looks right to me" eye test will have to confirm everything... you did bring up a good point though, necessary to check for cant at longer ranges... hope this makes sense... will come back with results... thanks again, Larry

Warning! This thread is more than 19 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.