Talley Lightweight Alloy scope mounts

Ckleeves

Anybody use these? I have always used heavier duty bases and rings ( Seekins precision, Nightforce etc) when I was worried about reliability and no nonsense repeatability but I'm looking to lose every little bit of weight I can on this rifle. The recoil isn't anything to heavy ( 300 wsm with a brake). Thoughts?

should be ok I have set on257 wby so far no problems,but I run as you mentioned on my big stuff.

I use Talley lightweight rings on nearly all of my rifles. I even use them on my custom 338 RUM long range hunting rifle that I used for nearly 3 weeks of backpack hunts this year. I bumped it around pretty good and never had any shift in zero. Which I verified at the range between hunts.

The only downside would be that they do not make them with 20 moa cant so you limit how far you can dial. Not an issue for me since I can still dial my VX6 out to about 1400 yards which is further than I'll shoot at an animal.

I have some in the mail and have zero experience with them.

Gun works use them.

Like timber works. I am taking off my aluminum 20moa rail and signature burris rings with -.010 inserts. Good for 75 moa of scope travel from a 100yard zero.
If loose even 45 moa of that I still have 30moa left to dial plus reticle and save 4.5oz of weight as talleys are 2.5oz.

I use Talley lightweight rings on nearly all of my rifles. I even use them on my custom 338 RUM long range hunting rifle that I used for nearly 3 weeks of backpack hunts this year. I bumped it around pretty good and never had any shift in zero. Which I verified at the range between hunts.

The only downside would be that they do not make them with 20 moa cant so you limit how far you can dial. Not an issue for me since I can still dial my VX6 out to about 1400 yards which is further than I'll shoot at an animal.

I've installed the Talleys on most of my rifles and many of my friends rifles since we never have shots over 600 yds. I noticed at one time most of the precision customs used Talleys and a few only went to others to get more scope dial. I've never had any issues with the Talley from 300 UM to .243. I did align hone all of them. If you need help with ordering them just e-mail Talley with rifle make, model and scope size. They will reply the correct item # for the best fit. Good luck

I have a light gun, 30-06 I carry in the truck with me during hunting season for cyotes and not in a case. It has Talleys and I have not had issues with scope movement in the 2 years they have been mounted and I check the zero 3 to 4 times a year.

I went the other way, which is away from the Talley rings. Reason being the VX6 tube design did not allow enough forward or aft adjustment for my eye relief. Also, may not be associated with the Talley rings, but when I installed the picatiny base and NF rings groups tightened up a bit.

I went the other way, which is away from the Talley rings. Reason being the VX6 tube design did not allow enough forward or aft adjustment for my eye relief.

This is right on and great that you pointed this out for anybody considering a The 3-18 VX6. Jim Borden, who built my 338 RUM, highly recomended against the VX6 with Talley rings for this exact reason. Talley does make extended rings to help solve this problem and even with the extended front ring which allows the scope additional travel towards your eye, it is still mounted probably 1/4 - 3/8 of an inch too far forward. I am able to make this work because I am tall and my size allows my shooting position to be more forgiving than most people.

I have considered picatinny base/rings, but when I shoot long range I'm exploding 1/2 moa sized rocks out to distances way further than I would shoot at an animal. So in the end of it works, don't try and fix it. :cool:

talley light weight on all my rifles except one with built in 20MOA rail where i have pica tinny rings.

Never had an issue. All rifles are tack drivers.
SnT

It's nice to hear the Talley rings are working. I've looked at them several times and considered trying them. Always went with the heavier duty nightforce, badger, seekins. Do have a question for those of you that are using them. Does the weight of the scope have any effect? Another words, don't remember the weight of a vx6, but believe it's around the 20 oz mark, the nightforces is around 32 oz mark.

Weight of the scope has no effect on them. As mentioned before the only effected area will be with possible eye relief based on the dimension between the bells.

All of my 30 odd rifles wear Bruce Talley rings except my 338 Lapua with it's 20 moa cant rail.

Bruce Talley is easy to deal with and makes a quality, light alloy ring. Having said that I'd still align them and lap them for tube contact but then, thats SOP with any scope mount I do.

Been using Talley Lightweight Alloy scope mounts every since, 2009, never an issue, love the one piece mounts, less parts less worries! :)

Warning! This thread is more than 9 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.