Scope mounting setup Talley Lightweight one piece vs. rail with Seekins rings

drespecki

Putting a Leupold VX6HD 4-24 on a Browning Xbolt in 6.5 creedmoor... What would be my best/strongest/and straightest setup? I have a Murphy titanium picatinny rail and some Seekins 34mm rings which together look like they are perfect but see a lot of input on the Talley Lightweight one piece ring/mount setups.... Browning is even offering the Talley as their Xbolt go to ring/mount. Will I have to lap the Talleys and setup the point to point ring alignment tool to see if they are perfectly aligned ? The Talleys brings me down about 1/16 to 1/8 lower so not a huge change.

Any further insight or help is appreciated..

IMG_20200224_145149.jpg
IMG_20200224_145344.jpg

Last edited:
The rail will align the rings better. Then you put some on those Seekins rings that are precision machined and straight already and you are gonna have a great setup. Talleys are good too, but might need a little lapping.
Heck the rail might not be straight either, kinda depends on the accuracy of the holes drilled in the action, but could fix that by bedding the rail.

I run a 20 MOA Picatinny rail on every rifle I own, unless the action has the rails milled into the receiver already.
Makes swapping scopes between rifles, should the necessity arise, very quick and easy. Just a fine tune on the rezero, and done.
On hunts, I always take at least one spare rifle, usually two actually. But I also take a spare scope already set up and zeroed for my main rifle, just in case. I would hate to be 7-10+ hours from home on a hunt and drop my rifle and screw up a scope without a backup. Only had an issue one time, but a spare rifle was a hunt saver.

Had Talley rings once on a 300 WM and had them loosen and slip one too many times. I now run Picatinny 20 MOA bases on all my rifles. Just a side note, that rifle grouped better after I installed the Picatinny rail. Just saying.

Warning! This thread is more than 5 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.