Talley Lightweight Alloy scope mounts

....always been my philosophy that.....

The less component parts between the top of the receiver and the scope tube, the less chance there is for something to get wonky. Talley's one piece base / lower ring design addresses that philosophy very well.

Mounted a few scopes for customers and hunt friends and have been given different mounts to use. I always refuse and direct them toward Talley one piece... I usually win...:)

If not, I don't install the scope...

....always been my philosophy that.....

The less component parts between the top of the receiver and the scope tube, the less chance there is for something to get wonky. Talley's one piece base / lower ring design addresses that philosophy very well.

Mounted a few scopes for customers and hunt friends and have been given different mounts to use. I always refuse and direct them toward Talley one piece... I usually win...:)

If not, I don't install the scope...

Could not agree more. I mount all my buddies scopes and all of them are Talley one piece.

I would also say go for it! I bought a set about 4 yrs ago at a local shop when I got my new 300RUM with the intention of putting a rail and heavier rings on later. Well after about 4yrs and 350-400 rds down the tube they have been great. They were the first Talley's I bought but I now have 3 other pairs.

I've seen a bunch of pictures where it looks like the mounts are flipped to help with clearance. Is fine to do? I figured it would mess with alignment.

I've seen a bunch of pictures where it looks like the mounts are flipped to help with clearance. Is fine to do? I figured it would mess with alignment.

Not at all, I do it all the time to set eye relief. Remember, the cardinal rule of mounting ANY scope is to lap in the mounts with an appropriate length and appropriate diameter drill rod or Wheeler Scope Lapping Jit. I use drill rod and Clover lapping compound myself. (though toothpaste or automotive coarse rubbing compound works too.

Never just drop in a scope without lapping the rings. Lapping accomplishes 2 goals. One, it completely seats the tube and insures that when you torque down the caps, that if there is any misalignment, that misalignment don't put 'ring marks on the tube or in a worse case scenario, dent it which can lead to scope failure and , it 'roughens' the mounting surface of the tings which provides a better grip on the tube and insures that recoil won't move the optic in the mounts.

The only time flipping the mounts would impact alignment is if the tings have a built in cant, then they are marked front and rear. Don't believe Bruce Talley offers a MOA cant rings set, or at least I've never seen them....

Warning! This thread is more than 9 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.