Talk me out of a 20 inch 300 Winchester magnum… or not.

So I took the new rifle whitetail hunting but of course the blind I was in the deer completely avoided. About 30 hogs came in and I was able to get some target practice and little bit of fresh wild pork. Who would have thought that a 30cal 178gr eldm going almost 2800fps would be so devastating 😉.
Had a 135yd shot, and a 20yd shot, both bullets went in right behind the ear and the entrance hole was no bigger than the tip of my pinky, but the exit was something nasty. One hog was 70lbs, the other about 50lbs. I'll have to wait till next weekend to try and bag a good deer. Will definitely post more pics if I do.

C885C078-1901-46D1-A6C5-E07F8636A4AE.jpeg
EF497A6C-D29D-4802-958D-B661C964CF04.jpeg
0132D83F-9035-4F16-82EB-9648E8010741.jpeg
799DE69C-4ED2-4A7B-BEE4-8E8B19B48B06.jpeg

I had a perfect 400yd shot at an opening that deer normally walk through...

Last edited:
Dang! I love how the rifle turned out! Makes me want to take off the 26" barrel off my Christensen and get a 20" Proof to replace it! I carried my Christensen suppressed this year mule deer hunting.... having a 26" barrel and a 7" can gets LONG!

Awesome rifle. Great kills also.

Just out of curiosity, what usually dictates you having to buy ammo the day of the hunt? I saw that as part of the criteria and as much as I understand store bought ammo availability, having to find last minute ammo has just never been an issue with me. (Yet) But I also only hunt local at the time so maybe someone who travels more has a different obstacle I haven't experienced.

Just out of curiosity, what usually dictates you having to buy ammo the day of the hunt? I saw that as part of the criteria and as much as I understand store bought ammo availability, having to find last minute ammo has just never been an issue with me. (Yet) But I also only hunt local at the time so maybe someone who travels more has a different obstacle I haven't experienced.
I would assume it would be a case of lost or forgotten ammo. Having a rifle with commonly available ammo can be a definite plus when traveling, even if it's only a few hours away.

I would assume it would be a case of lost or forgotten ammo. Having a rifle with commonly available ammo can be a definite plus when traveling, even if it's only a few hours away.

He just said "numerous" so I thought maybe it something fairly common when traveling. Then again I may be overlay paranoid with happening to me, I've been lucky with it I guess traveling back and forth to the lease. ( knocks on wood)

I suppose if you're willing to turn a .300WM into a very loud 30-06 ballistically you're also willing to live with the reduced performance. You can't cheat physics. A common caliber exists that will perform happily in a 20" barrel: .308 Win. A Very Merry Christmas and a Happy, Prosperous New Year to All!

So two factors for me:
-Human error (forgetting or losing the box of ammo 😵‍💫)
-Running out of ammo when traveling. I'm in Texas and everywhere I hunt I shoot hogs, I can easily go though 20-40rds of ammo in 1-2 days shooting at pigs. Great thing about shooting suppressed is most of the time after I fire the animals don't run far if at all. I'm always able to kill 2-4 in a single sitting. It's a good and bad problem to have…