Tailstock Chuck Replace

Coyote Shadow Tracker

LRH Sponsor
I have a new chuck on my tailstock (Current chuck is a 1/2" MT3) that came with our G0824 Lathe and want to replace with a 5/8" chuck. Any suggestions on the Best ones out there?
We have a JT 5/8" on one of our Drill Presses (Central Machinery -HARBOR freight) and has less than 0.0005 runout.
Yep still renovating our shop. Did some more electrical work today and cut 1"X3" steel tube for a base and leveling unit for one of or drill presses.
Want to start putting up Paneling and Peg Boards behind the Lathe, Mill, Drill Presses, and Vert/Horn Saw.
Tomorrow and Wednesday have to load up the rifles, food and accessories for a four-day trip to the range starting Thursday for Jill's Birthday. We have 1/2 dozen PRS ranges, a 966 yds, pistol range and a 2-300 YD Rim Fire 22 range.
Our club has bedroom with a queen bed and two Bunk Beds
WE have a GREAT room with several leather lounge couches and a nice Flat Screen with about 10,000 + shows
We also has a Kitchen with full size fridge & Micro wave, Coffee (Krieger) machines. Big utility sink and all cooking is done OUTSIDE with gas/charcoal grills, infrared stove tops of propane stove tops. There is also a bonfire space directly off the end of the clubhouse for night time sitting around with you favorite Libations tell all your lies on hunting trips or shooting Matches 🤣
It is truly a Gods' Blessing on over 100 acres and hundreds of acres of woods all around us.
Forgot to mention the we have a big OUTHOUSE for all to partake!
ONLY KIDDING. We have a restroom with a nice sink/vanity two toilets and a shower with really hot water.
Jill and I love it because we can shoot at any range we want with out any interference. We however always invite other shareholder to met with us for breakfast, dinner, or supper and eat with us and also shoot (maybe a friendly match for bragging rights $$$$)
Anyway if you know of a GREAT chuck please let us know
I spoke with some members already about coming to the Range will be glad to Host you for a day shoot. and a food
Just let US know in advance for a week day more so than a weekend. If you are traveling you and your spouse can stay at our home as long as you don't mind animals
Past my bed time talk another day.
I don't want Jill to get the strap out!

NO KIDDING IF YOU EVER WANT TO SHOOT AT A PRIVATE 1ST CLASS PRS RANGRE - CONTACT US
Thanks
Len & Jill

Last edited:
I am looking at South Bend for $211.00 and Jacob for $485.00
Albrecht Chuck for $800++++
I don't want to spend a fortune, but want great results

Len, look at the ultra precision chuck from Precision Matthew's. I bought one from them with R8. It is not bad for the price.

Chuck a gauge pin and sweep it, see what the runout is.

I also use ER 32s with good collets on the Bridgeport and on the lathes.
Nez
Thanks I actually was looking at PM chucks. With a 5 year warranty and 0.0007 TIR
Our mill came with a good chuck and have large assortment of collets.
PM makes precision products.
Just want a larger and a Keyless chuck for the tail stock. I try to look at all the options before buy.

Thanks
Len

Nez
Thanks I actually was looking at PM chucks. With a 5 year warranty and 0.0007 TIR
Our mill came with a good chuck and have large assortment of collets.
PM makes precision products.
Just want a larger and a Keyless chuck for the tail stock. I try to look at all the options before buy.

Thanks
Len

Agree.

If I were to use heavy drilling I break out the ER32 chuck.

Just askin'...what drilling operations related to riflesmithing require absolute precision when drilling with the ts?
Personally, I've not come across one.
Brakes, I drill then ream with a floating holder to follow the existing hole in the brake.
Pre-boring chambers, always bored after drilling which makes misalignment of the drilled hole irrelevant.
Anything "custom", like thread protectors, etc same deal, drill then bore.

Mills are a different story- but I've never been concerned about absolute precision with any drilling ops on the lathe.
Hell, very few tailstocks are perfectly aligned to begin with...getting obsessed with tenths on a drill chuck seems overkill to me.