Switching up the Bino/RF system (Possibly)

Huntnful

Just decided to test out a new optics system.

I currently use: Zeiss 10x42RF's & Swaro 15x56 SLC HD's. Along with a Swaro STS 20-60X80HD.

New setup: Gunwerks Revic BR4 rangefinder & Swaro 12X42 NL pures. Along with the same spotter.

The new optics should be arriving soon, and I will give them a diligent test along side my old system to see if the switch is worth it. I'll let you guys know! I'd save 35oz of weight and the added bulk of the 15's in my pack. Looking forward to testing them out!!

Love to hear your view on the new Revic BR-4. I am looking to upgrade my Kilo 2400.
I've been using Swaro 10x42 EL's for many years and had no reason to change although the NL Pures are probably better, I'm afraid to look through them!
35oz is a lot of weight!

I found that the 12x50 EL's were the best compromise for me as I was also going from Leica 10x42 HD-B RF and 15x56 SLC but I didn't use the 15x that much and the 12x seemed the best all around power. If I need more power I go to the spotter. I used the Kilo 2400ABS for range and sometimes as a monocular instead of pulling out the binos. I would love to compare the 12x42 Pures against the EL12x50 at dusk to see the low light performance of the smaller objective.

Received the BR4000 rangefinder today. Pretty sweet little unit. The "base wind" is a legit feature. It gives ultra fast ranges and ballistic corrections. The glass is OKAY. But you can't really expect too much from 10X monocular with a 25mm objective. I'll be testing it in early morning first light tomorrow to do some final drop verification for my hunting load this season. Haven't received the NL's yet. But the rangefinder is an acceptable piece of equipment so far for sure.

This will be a real test. Because I love my current setup. It's just heavy and bulky.

83BA9274-3EAF-44A8-A033-F20AA88352D6.jpeg

Another little update. The BR4000 unit is already growing on me with each use. Took it out early this morning, and was able to clearly make out targets 30 minutes before sunrise. 20 minutes before sunrise was like daytime. You do have have to turn the brightness down, or the readout overtakes the target in the low light scenarios. But it takes literally 5 seconds to do so if need be. Brightness level 4 (the highest) is super crisp and easy to read in all bright light scenarios, but too bright for early early morning. Brightness level 3, is a happy medium, where you can still see the readout in mid day, but it's just dim enough to use it for the lower light situations. Brightness level 2 is the most ideal for 30 minutes before sunrise though.

Here's the readout on brightness level 3, and a view of what it displays.
The bottom is my profile. (Nos)ler 169gr.
Upper right is a "base wind" of 5 MPH
Lower right would be the wind hold if there was a 5MPH crosswind.
IMG_3690.png

And as expected, since I already verified my drop data with this round, impacts were money at 700 yards this morning
IMG_3692.jpeg

Recieved the 12X NL pures today. I do think the magnification difference is noticeable, but it definitely doesn't seem like a 20% loss in magnification. The 44% increase in FOV, is 100% noticeable though. And the imagine clarity is slightly better. I think with taking what seems like a 10% loss in magnification, but gaining FOV and calirity, along with dropping 2 lbs from my pack, this could be a promising combo. I'll definitely do a hunt with just the 12NL's, Gunwerks BR4 and 20-60X80 STS HD.

First image is the NL pure, Second is the 15SLC HD. That tower is 1100 yards away and a lot of mirage. But you can compare the photos.
IMG_3742.jpeg

IMG_3743.jpeg

IMG_3746.jpeg

Nice! I am literally do the same thing except with the Sig2400 abs instead of the BR4.

I can't seem to make a choice, I want to keep all of the above. I may use the NL 12x for times I am trying to cut weight and use my Zeiss RF's and 15's for shorter day trips.

Nice! I am literally do the same thing except with the Sig2400 abs instead of the BR4.

I can't seem to make a choice, I want to keep all of the above. I may use the NL 12x for times I am trying to cut weight and use my Zeiss RF's and 15's for shorter day trips.
haha first world problems man. I'll probably sell mine, just to get the extra cash for the time being. But it is such a great system, it's super hard to part with it. I'm REALLY hoping swarovski drops some 15X or 18X NL's. Then I can switch to 8X32 for a chest bino and some 18X NL's would be worth carrying in the pack for sure.

haha first world problems man. I'll probably sell mine, just to get the extra cash for the time being. But it is such a great system, it's super hard to part with it. I'm REALLY hoping swarovski drops some 15X or 18X NL's. Then I can switch to 8X32 for a chest bino and some 18X NL's would be worth carrying in the pack for sure.

Lol I know. I have a hard time justifying to myself keeping all of them...so I tell myself I am "testing". Though I love those 12 Pures. I have even considered keeping 12 and 15's.

I do like the 10x magnification on the BR4, sometimes it is hard to find your target with a 7x RF after glassing on 12x or the spotting scope.