the savage system

majorchcuk

greetins all from windsor canada Iused to shoot crows for farmers way back and when they got smart the 223 was not good enough to get atem[ mini 14] then 22.250 rem 788 med sporter and the buggers move further out the back 40 to the fence line @ about 600 yards on the other side of fence was a 15 foot burm and 100 yards past that the road access to the farm I needed something better enter the 6.5-284 win. sheilin star gaged super airgaged match 26 in. bull s.s. and a tasco 6-18 x42mm.Never had somuch fun seein crows vaporized with 90gr sierras but the barrel was shot out at 750 or so .Just a littel backgrownd on my shootin history after 10 year gap in shootin and sellin it all Iam startin up again and have been wowed by savage in particular the lrp 12 series and f/tr and the stuff and match barrels avil. lookin to get input on savage vs remington vs cz plastic stocks that need no bedding atc any way thats me and my first inqiury thanks

Ford vs Chevy.

They all have their advantages, and disadvantages.

I am a Remington guy, no idea why I just like them. They have a huge aftermarket following. Just about any smith knows them. But they are a bit... outdated, the twist rates are often on the slow side, the chambering are not always the best, Not a huge fan of their new triggers. The plastic injection molded stocks, suck on all of them. There not fully free floated, the ergonomics suck.

Savage, i've owned one I will buy another. Savages may be the most accurate out of the box rifle out there, and it's because of their cost cutting measures. This also has a benefit for the average joe, namely you can change the barrels out yourself with a few tools. (Warning this should not be done unless you have a proper understanding of headspace) making it possible to use the same rifle with many calibers. Though its not a fast swap. Their floating bolt head helps align the cartridge in better axis with the bore. The accutrigger may be the best factory trigger out there, I personally do not care for it as I have run into issues with gloves. Their Accu-stock is arguably the best of the injection molded stocks. The ergonomics still suck. The aftermarket support is great as well. Savage factory barrels, kind of suck, they are more hit and miss then any i've been around. The bolt manipulation is funky, there is a hitch in it, its weird, though not horrible.

I don't know anything about cz.

I know I've left stuff out, but really I don't think you can go wrong with either.

Joseph "Rhyno"

I've a big Savage fan. I have a Mod 12 VLP. The thing just plain out shoots. I have gone through 2 barrels. It started life as a .308 that I reamed to 300WSM. That lasted for another 1200rnds after putting about the same amount through in .308Win. I have a custom barrel on it now in .308 again. It is scary accurate with a couple different loads right now. I like the Savage for the very fact I can do all the work on it myself w/o needing a lathe. My support goes that route.

However CZ's are some pretty nice rifles. They are fairly accurate for what they are. It would be a toss up between the Savage. But as far as aftermarket is concerned, Savage, Remington, and Winchester will have a better variety with Remington leading the pack. Savage is catching up quickly.

If you like the 6.5 caliber but want better barrel life, I will suggest any of the following, 260Rem, 6.5x47 Lapua, 6.5x55 Swede, 6.5 Creedmore, and the 6.5 Grendel.

Welcome to LRH,
Tank

Doesnt it seem that everyone is putting out good factory rifles right now?
It seems like all have great reviews with Savage being on top.
Remington 700
Tikka T3
Sako
Winchester 70
CZ 550
FN
Browning
Ruger
Kimber

All get great reviews everywhere for off the shelf rifles. Some have much better aftermarket parts like Rem and some dont like the Browning

Savage and Tikka seem to get the most highest reviews for off the shelf accuracy

Doesnt it seem that everyone is putting out good factory rifles right now?
It seems like all have great reviews with Savage being on top.
Remington 700
Tikka T3
Sako
Winchester 70
CZ 550
FN
Browning
Ruger
Kimber

All get great reviews everywhere for off the shelf rifles. Some have much better aftermarket parts like Rem and some dont like the Browning

Savage and Tikka seem to get the most highest reviews for off the shelf accuracy

It's definitely a good thing. This adds some competition finally, and gives the consumer a lot of options.

The two best rifles on the market for dollar to dollar performance. The new Weatherby Vanguard may be right with these as well. Time will tell.

Warning! This thread is more than 13 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Recent Posts