Switch / Bighorn / Remage / WTO Lug

live2huntmt

I looked into my safe the other day a saw over $10k of glass sitting on high dollar custom rifles that rarely get shot. Each rifle a different caliber with a different purpose...though most of them designed for hunting, just different game. It got me thinking...it would be nice to have ONE high end optic mounted on A top of the line custom action bedded in a A lightweight top shelf stock or chassis. I've been reading on the Proof Switch, Bighorn and pre-fits, Remages, and the West Texas Ordinance SwitchLug.

Long story short...I cannot decide what I want to build. Any do's and don'ts or advice from experience will be greatly appreciated!

I have just done that and sold 3 rifles and scopes. WTO let me know 3 of 4 barrels are finished. Should have in hands by mid May. Wanted one rifle that covered prairie dogs to Grizzlies with same trigger, stock and scope.

WTO switchlug rifle project
McMillan A-3 stock
Nightforce ATACR F1 4-16
H&S precision bottom metal
Bighorn Origin Action
22-250 Brux 1:8 twist (shoot 70 to 80g bullets)
6XC Bartlein 1:7.5 twist (shoot 105 Berger VLDs)
7mm SAW Proof Carbon 1:8.5 twist (shoot 162g ELD-X)
338 Sherman Shortmag Bartlein 1:10 twist (shoot 210 to 240g Accubonds, Barnes or Hammer bullets)
Trigger Tech

I have just done that and sold 3 rifles and scopes. WTO let me know 3 of 4 barrels are finished. Should have in hands by mid May. Wanted one rifle that covered prairie dogs to Grizzlies with same trigger, stock and scope.

WTO switchlug rifle project
McMillan A-3 stock
Nightforce ATACR F1 4-16
H&S precision bottom metal
Bighorn Origin Action
22-250 Brux 1:8 twist (shoot 70 to 80g bullets)
6XC Bartlein 1:7.5 twist (shoot 105 Berger VLDs)
7mm SAW Proof Carbon 1:8.5 twist (shoot 162g ELD-X)
338 Sherman Shortmag Bartlein 1:10 twist (shoot 210 to 240g Accubonds, Barnes or Hammer bullets)
Trigger Tech

So I am assuming the stock is inletted for the Proof Carbon barrel? Can any gunsmith chamber a new barrel or is there a reason WTO is doing yours? Did you fiberglass bed the action and WTO SwitchLug into the McMillan?

Yes all barrels are sendero metal contour. Proof Research is Carbon sendero lite. Using WTO because they developed switchlug and they are in Texas where I am. Additionally they developed 7mm SAW cartridge which I wanted.

Switchlug will be bedded into stock.

Many gunsmiths will make a shouldered prefit for Bighorns. No need for a nut or switch lug.

Many gunsmiths will make a shouldered prefit for Bighorns. No need for a nut or switch lug.

Wouldn't that require separating the barrel from the action with a barrel block and action wrench? Couldn't you do that on any Remington 700 or clone? Forgive my arrogance...but I thought the main purpose of the SwitchLug was to allow barrel swaps without removing the barreled action from the stock, and only using an inch pound torque wrench...all the time maintaining repeatable headspace.

we (straight Jacket armory) provide both pre fit barrels for AI/TL3/Origin/Axiom/VEctor and more. both for WTO/ARC lugs,
we find most folks are not going to change out barrels at the range, so purchasing a viper barrel vise and action wrench from big horn provides the best results in accuracy, and ease of use.

switch lugs, are great for their intended purpose. however its very rare to see a switch lug, or barrel nut accurate enough to place in bench rest... therefore as a builder that strives to offer the best in accuracy, i always recommend purchasing a vise for multiple barrels

Yes you need a wrench and vise. No the tolerances of most actions will not allow you to just order a barrel otherwise savages wouldn't be nearly as popular. It literally adds 60 seconds to remove and torque a stock. If you're taking about 10k In glass alone a vise and wrench are a drop in a bucket.

we (straight Jacket armory) provide both pre fit barrels for AI/TL3/Origin/Axiom/VEctor and more. both for WTO/ARC lugs,
we find most folks are not going to change out barrels at the range, so purchasing a viper barrel vise and action wrench from big horn provides the best results in accuracy, and ease of use.

switch lugs, are great for their intended purpose. however its very rare to see a switch lug, or barrel nut accurate enough to place in bench rest... therefore as a builder that strives to offer the best in accuracy, i always recommend purchasing a vise for multiple barrels

Thank you very much! This is exactly the input I am looking for!

We sell prefits for many actions and stand buy our .001" headspace guarantee.
here are a few action we sell prefits for:
Accuracy Int, AT/AX
Curtis Axiom
Curtis Vector
Big Horn Origin
Big Horn TL3
ARC Nuculeus
Impact

in fact most of the newer custom actions (with a few acceptations) hold headspace to less then .0005" making our job very easy. in fact, even our PRS/NRL pro staff shooters are now using prefits.

but your gunsmith should be taking record of your action specs anyway. with that being said, if your action was at one time in my shop i keep it on file and you can call us up at anytime and order a prefit barrel.

We sell prefits for many actions and stand buy our .001" headspace guarantee.
here are a few action we sell prefits for:
Accuracy Int, AT/AX
Curtis Axiom
Curtis Vector
Big Horn Origin
Big Horn TL3
ARC Nuculeus
Impact

in fact most of the newer custom actions (with a few acceptations) hold headspace to less then .0005" making our job very easy. in fact, even our PRS/NRL pro staff shooters are now using prefits.

but your gunsmith should be taking record of your action specs anyway. with that being said, if your action was at one time in my shop i keep it on file and you can call us up at anytime and order a prefit barrel.

Nick...if you keep whispering sweet words in my ear like this you are going to gain another customer!

Will you chamber any barrel? What is your turn around time?

Nick...if you keep whispering sweet words in my ear like this you are going to gain another customer!

Will you chamber any barrel? What is your turn around time?

turn around time Vary. if you have a barrel and action that you send in we can normally get them back out in less then 4 weeks. on in stock items we have "rush" fee of $100 that gets your barrel shipped in 7 days or less

Wouldn't that require separating the barrel from the action with a barrel block and action wrench? Couldn't you do that on any Remington 700 or clone? Forgive my arrogance...but I thought the main purpose of the SwitchLug was to allow barrel swaps without removing the barreled action from the stock, and only using an inch pound torque wrench...all the time maintaining repeatable headspace.

Jeff,

I have a Big Horn Arms SR2 LA for my custom that Dave put together for me. He was extremely impressed with it. When it is due for a re-barrel, it is going to be with a barrel nut.

I would love to have one of Dave's barrel block design though.

Ed

Warning! This thread is more than 5 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.