Switch / Bighorn / Remage / WTO Lug

we (straight Jacket armory) provide both pre fit barrels for AI/TL3/Origin/Axiom/VEctor and more. both for WTO/ARC lugs,
we find most folks are not going to change out barrels at the range, so purchasing a viper barrel vise and action wrench from big horn provides the best results in accuracy, and ease of use.

switch lugs, are great for their intended purpose. however its very rare to see a switch lug, or barrel nut accurate enough to place in bench rest... therefore as a builder that strives to offer the best in accuracy, i always recommend purchasing a vise for multiple barrels
Would you say the Curtis Vector can be bench accurate? It has a nice switch system that would work for me instead of a switchlug. I bought a TL3 to do a switchlug but haven't committed to it yet. Thanks

turn around time Vary. if you have a barrel and action that you send in we can normally get them back out in less then 4 weeks. on in stock items we have "rush" fee of $100 that gets your barrel shipped in 7 days or less

Good to see you on the site Nick. Guys, this man does exceptional work and takes the time to talk to his customers. I have had one full build done by him, he barreled a bighorn origin for me and I have a proof 6.5 PRC shouldered prefit coming for same bighorn action. Talking with Nick is always a pleasure. Give him a shot, you'll be glad you did.

I looked into my safe the other day a saw over $10k of glass sitting on high dollar custom rifles that rarely get shot. Each rifle a different caliber with a different purpose...though most of them designed for hunting, just different game. It got me thinking...it would be nice to have ONE high end optic mounted on A top of the line custom action bedded in a A lightweight top shelf stock or chassis. I've been reading on the Proof Switch, Bighorn and pre-fits, Remages, and the West Texas Ordinance SwitchLug.

Long story short...I cannot decide what I want to build. Any do's and don'ts or advice from experience will be greatly appreciated!

I would look at the Curtis Vector or a WTO switch lug... No tools need besides a allen wrench to switch the barrels. All barrels are hand tightened (no action wrench or barrel vise needed) in the action then tighten the allen screw to hold the barrel from loosening. I went with a Vector myself because to can have barrels spun up without having to give your action to a smith for months. Just my 2 cents

I would look at the Curtis Vector or a WTO switch lug... No tools need besides a allen wrench to switch the barrels. All barrels are hand tightened (no action wrench or barrel vise needed) in the action then tighten the allen screw to hold the barrel from loosening. I went with a Vector myself because to can have barrels spun up without having to give your action to a smith for months. Just my 2 cents
How is your accuracy?

How is your accuracy?
No noticeable POI shift and I take the barrel off the action to clan it... Another plus IMO is cleaning a barrel off the action. I had the complete rifle apart except removing the scope from the action and when I put it back together my POI was only .1 mils high at 100 yards...

No noticeable POI shift and I take the barrel off the action to clan it... Another plus IMO is cleaning a barrel off the action. I had the complete rifle apart except removing the scope from the action and when I put it back together my POI was only .1 mils high at 100 yards...
Nice! How are group sizes? Are you able to develop groups under .5 inches?

I have two WTO SwitchLug rifles, built on Stiller actions, and one due in July, on a Tuebor Raider short action with 308 and mag bolts.

I have been pleased with barrel changes with this system, as brake timing has remained the same and rezeroing has never been off more than a couple of clicks. Overall accuracy has been great.

Once the action has been in Clayton's shop, he can shoulder other barrels without having to send the rifle back. I opted to not have the inlet opened up so that I could change barrels without removing stock. Because I change barrels at home, not at range, I don't mind removing stock to change barrels.

There are many methods to change barrels, bolts and boltfaces nowadays, but I'm happy with my choice, no headspace gauges or vise .

I have a WTO switchlug on a 700 action, 2 barrels. I change without removing from the chassis and have never had to a change in POI.
I don't mind a small POI shift. I just want good accuracy. I am not a bench rest shooter but I have a few barrel nut setups that really shoot. So if I can get the switch to be close to my barrel nuts in accuracy I would be happy.

I don't mind a small POI shift. I just want good accuracy. I am not a bench rest shooter but I have a few barrel nut setups that really shoot. So if I can get the switch to be close to my barrel nuts in accuracy I would be happy.
The ARC Barloc works well and all you need is a Allen wrench. You can order for a shouldered barrel or a Savage Prefit style barrel. I'll try and snap a picture of my setup in a little bit.

Warning! This thread is more than 5 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.