Swarvoski EL 10 x 42 Rangefinder

webs

Well I went ahead and talked my mom into buying a pair of Swarvoski EL Rangefinding binoculars for my dad for their wedding anniversary. I guess the only things I am slightly concerned with are:

1. Operating Temp only goes down to +14 F
These binos are for hunting in North Dakota, Montana, and Canada.

Any issues with using these down to 10-20 below? Will these be ruined?

2. Lowest range ability is 33 yds
He bowhunts quite a bit and runs a Mathews Q2 with Aluminum arrows and 125 gr broadheads so to say the bow is slow would be an upgrade :rolleyes:. I would have had her buy him a new bow but he is pretty clear that he likes the bow.

The Binoculars will be used for rifle hunting (Shooting only to 400 or so) and bow hunting. To be fair he can sit on a hillside all day glassing so these will excel with that.

Any experiences? Also how is the warranty with Swarvoski?

HighPowerOptics is an authorized dealer for both Swarovski and Zeiss. We are very familiar with the EL Range and the Zeiss Victory RF rangefinders.

The lower temperature limit of +14F is because of the CR2 battery, which is used in both rangefinders. With a new battery, both rangefinders will function below that ambient temp. With a partially discharged battery, operation below +14F is not guaranteed. However operating below +14F will reduce the battery life. The battery is not rated for operation below -4F. The minimum storage temp of the EL Range is -22F, so you won't hurt the bino by exposing it to temperatures in the -22 to +14F range.

In practice, I think that the eyepieces will fog up if the bino is much below +14F. For that reason, it is a good idea to keep the bino inside the parka when it's that cold.

If ranging closer than 33 m is important, you should consider the Zeiss Victory RF instead. It has a minimum range of 10 yds. However, it has lower transmission, so low light performance is not as good. The EL range has a longer eye relief than the Victory RF. If your dad wears eyeglasses, he may not have a full field of view with the Victory RF, but he will with the EL Range. The max range capability is higher with the EL Range 1,500 yds) than it is with the Victory RF (1,300 yds), but that is probably not a limitation for your dad. Otherwise, both binos have a similar beam size (about 1.5x0.5 mrad) and weight.

Swarovski's warranty and customer service are outstanding. The warranty period varies:
Optical system – Lifetime
Mechanics – 10 years
Electronics – 2 years

Both EL Range models are in stock at HighPowerOptics: Swarovski EL Range Binoculars

I purchased my Swaro rangefinder after moving to Western SD and realizing 99% of other rangefinders don't work well (or at all) on the prarie. Anytime I took it out when the temps were at, or below, freezing I simply taped a "hand warmer" on the side or on the battery port. I don't know if it made a difference, but my batteries would last well over a year and it always gave me readings.

I would be hesitant to have my optice inside my coat. I would think the moisture from your body would cause them to fog up once you take them out.

Warning! This thread is more than 11 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.