Swarovski thoughts….

mackgee

So I wanted to share some thoughts now that I have spent a decent amount of time behind so of their products. This is just an opinion, but I'm sure people have pondered some of the things I'll bring up (at least I hope so!).

First and foremost I wanted to share my thoughts on the 12x42 NL Pure vs. SLC 15x56mm binos. I guided for a handful of years out west and now find myself on my own adventures tackling Alaska (best move I ever made). I have been using both binos back and forth for almost a year now and after that time I think I'm ready to make some conclusions. The SLC's are a great product…for years they have been my go to when guiding out west trying to cover some far terrain in the most expeditious manner. They have found me countless animals that had I been face down and in a spotter, I don't know that I would have seen them. It's a great piece of glass for sure, and that extra 3 power does come in handy. With that being said, those 12x42 NL's are just super clear to my eyes compared to the SLC. Sure it is somewhat of a handicap to give up that 3 power, but the clarity (at least for my eyes) that the NL's have is just so good. Tonight was watching some sheep up on the mountain off of my back porch and could see a few rams. With the 15's you could make out if they were full curl or not, but the 12x42 NL's you could see the some of the darkness shading of the individual rings. The clarity was just so good on them compared to the SLC. I realize that they aren't really in the same class in terms of glass clarity, but I do know that picking between the two for long range, tripod mounted Bino glassing is a question some have. When you factor in the weight of the two systems, and the field of view, I just think the NL's are a better option for filling that nitch. Especially with the field of view and edge to edge clarity they give. If you are using the glass like you should be, not moving the glass, but searching with your eyes all around the glass, you can cover more ground, quicker with the NL's. My opinion is that the NL's are just a better option. I realize some won't share my opinion for sure, and that's okay, that's the best part about these forums, we can all share our thoughts and make each other better consumers.

And another note I wanted to share was that I have been carrying around and using the new ATC spotter as well for a bit now. That piece of glass continues to impress me every time I get it out. It does not compare to the ATX 95mm I have, and it wasn't meant to be compared to it. For what your are getting, in that small of a package, with that clarity, is a real game changer for me. Anything I can do to reduce weight in my pack and still maintain that optical advantage of superb clarity, I will take that. If I'm backpack hunting this year, the ATC (and the 12x42 NL's) without a doubt will be along for the ride. Anything from out of a vehicle or off of an ATV, the ATX will be with me (and probably the ATC too, just in case I have to pack somewhere off of road). If you have been pondering purchasing one for yourself, I don't think that you will be disappointed in what they provide you considering their size.

Anyways, just wanted push this out there in case anyone has been on the fence about either one of these pieces of glass. Thanks for taking the time to read this, and god bless!

Mac

Great post and first hand experience here. Your experience matches that of many others online that say the NL Pures are simply the best bino's you can get right now.

I am strongly considering upgrading my Razor HD's to a pair of NL Pures - but need to get myself a spotting scope first!

I'll second the opinion. I sold my 10x42 EL's and got the 12x42 NL's after the 10's were found lacking on an aoudad hunt 2 years ago. This year for the aoudad hunt, I took the NL's, my STX 95 and ATC. I found myself grabbing the ATC much more often than the 95. Now, our glassing was primarily one mile or less so I'm sure the 95 would excel at greater distances, but I never felt handicapped by the ATC. It's such a pleasure to carry and use. The field of view and clarity is amazing for such a small package. I personally feel the Swaro glass is money well spent for me.

So I wanted to share some thoughts now that I have spent a decent amount of time behind so of their products. This is just an opinion, but I'm sure people have pondered some of the things I'll bring up (at least I hope so!).

First and foremost I wanted to share my thoughts on the 12x42 NL Pure vs. SLC 15x56mm binos. I guided for a handful of years out west and now find myself on my own adventures tackling Alaska (best move I ever made). I have been using both binos back and forth for almost a year now and after that time I think I'm ready to make some conclusions. The SLC's are a great product…for years they have been my go to when guiding out west trying to cover some far terrain in the most expeditious manner. They have found me countless animals that had I been face down and in a spotter, I don't know that I would have seen them. It's a great piece of glass for sure, and that extra 3 power does come in handy. With that being said, those 12x42 NL's are just super clear to my eyes compared to the SLC. Sure it is somewhat of a handicap to give up that 3 power, but the clarity (at least for my eyes) that the NL's have is just so good. Tonight was watching some sheep up on the mountain off of my back porch and could see a few rams. With the 15's you could make out if they were full curl or not, but the 12x42 NL's you could see the some of the darkness shading of the individual rings. The clarity was just so good on them compared to the SLC. I realize that they aren't really in the same class in terms of glass clarity, but I do know that picking between the two for long range, tripod mounted Bino glassing is a question some have. When you factor in the weight of the two systems, and the field of view, I just think the NL's are a better option for filling that nitch. Especially with the field of view and edge to edge clarity they give. If you are using the glass like you should be, not moving the glass, but searching with your eyes all around the glass, you can cover more ground, quicker with the NL's. My opinion is that the NL's are just a better option. I realize some won't share my opinion for sure, and that's okay, that's the best part about these forums, we can all share our thoughts and make each other better consumers.

And another note I wanted to share was that I have been carrying around and using the new ATC spotter as well for a bit now. That piece of glass continues to impress me every time I get it out. It does not compare to the ATX 95mm I have, and it wasn't meant to be compared to it. For what your are getting, in that small of a package, with that clarity, is a real game changer for me. Anything I can do to reduce weight in my pack and still maintain that optical advantage of superb clarity, I will take that. If I'm backpack hunting this year, the ATC (and the 12x42 NL's) without a doubt will be along for the ride. Anything from out of a vehicle or off of an ATV, the ATX will be with me (and probably the ATC too, just in case I have to pack somewhere off of road). If you have been pondering purchasing one for yourself, I don't think that you will be disappointed in what they provide you considering their size.

Anyways, just wanted push this out there in case anyone has been on the fence about either one of these pieces of glass. Thanks for taking the time to read this, and god bless!

Mac
So are you going to pack just the nl 12 power binoculars? Can you hold them steady enough without a tripod for your do all binoculars? I've been looking at the 12 power nl's but I only want to pack one pair of binoculars and worry that they are too much power for off hand use.

So are you going to pack just the nl 12 power binoculars? Can you hold them steady enough without a tripod for your do all binoculars? I've been looking at the 12 power nl's but I only want to pack one pair of binoculars and worry that they are too much power for off hand use.
12's are borderline for hand holding, but useable. If you're not using a tripod for serious glassing you probably don't need Swaro anyhow.

Personally I don't have an issue with handholding them. I think the forgiving field of view makes it more doable (Don't quote me on that, certainly not a technical thought, just a guess). I have a pair of 8x42 EL Range TA's that I carry on my chest so for my use, I will only be using the 12's off of a tripod for picking apart distant areas I'm trying to find stuff in.

I'll throw out something else that I think is a huge help too, regardless what optic you are using…practice! I know that it doesn't seem like you need to practice looking for something through binos, but I'm telling you, it will make you better at glassing. Don't just take them out and use them when you start hunting, take them on hikes, keep them in your vehicle, and use them. There is a reason why guides are so good at spotting animals (that's not saying that all are good, but certainly a good majority are good at it), they have been behind those binos way before the season even starts, using them to scout and locate animals. You have to train yourself for what to look for…train your eye to see certain shades, shapes, etc. Use your optics to look at deer, or elk, or whatever you are chasing. Your brain and eye will get in sync and you will find yourself seeing animals that you wouldn't normally see. As a guide, I would be behind my optics constantly in the off season, and it paid off! Off my soapbox now…

Anyways, I can handhold them pretty good, in fact just was looking at a decent ram up on the mountain about 1 3/4 miles away off the back porch (yes Alaska is absolutely awesome) and found him while handholding the 12 power NL's.

Jeremy

Personally I don't have an issue with handholding them. I think the forgiving field of view makes it more doable (Don't quote me on that, certainly not a technical thought, just a guess). I have a pair of 8x42 EL Range TA's that I carry on my chest so for my use, I will only be using the 12's off of a tripod for picking apart distant areas I'm trying to find stuff in.

I'll throw out something else that I think is a huge help too, regardless what optic you are using…practice! I know that it doesn't seem like you need to practice looking for something through binos, but I'm telling you, it will make you better at glassing. Don't just take them out and use them when you start hunting, take them on hikes, keep them in your vehicle, and use them. There is a reason why guides are so good at spotting animals (that's not saying that all are good, but certainly a good majority are good at it), they have been behind those binos way before the season even starts, using them to scout and locate animals. You have to train yourself for what to look for…train your eye to see certain shades, shapes, etc. Use your optics to look at deer, or elk, or whatever you are chasing. Your brain and eye will get in sync and you will find yourself seeing animals that you wouldn't normally see. As a guide, I would be behind my optics constantly in the off season, and it paid off! Off my soapbox now…

Anyways, I can handhold them pretty good, in fact just was looking at a decent ram up on the mountain about 1 3/4 miles away off the back porch (yes Alaska is absolutely awesome) and found him while handholding the 12 power NL's.

Jeremy
Thank you for the detailed response Jeremy! It's always nice to hear reviews on good products from people that know what they are talking about.

I'm currently running the el range 10x42 ta's and a hd Ats 65. They are pretty good but I'd like better.

Can you even compare the nl glass to the el range ta glass? I'm sure it's hard because of the 4 power difference.

Jeremy
I couldn't agree more.

The only problem I see with Swarovski is prices and the older I get and the more I spend I have become a firm believer in "buy once cry once". Swarovski are the standard by which all other are measured by. I own and love my SLC15x56 which I for spotted elk. The ATX 95's are second to none and for what I have spent on other spotting scopes I could own a pair or two🤪😂. Great post.

The only problem I see with Swarovski is prices and the older I get and the more I spend I have become a firm believer in "buy once cry once". Swarovski are the standard by which all other are measured by. I own and love my SLC15x56 which I for spotted elk. The ATX 95's are second to none and for what I have spent on other spotting scopes I could own a pair or two🤪😂. Great post.
I called Leica today and they said they actually do not measure their optics products against Swarovski. They seemed to think theirs stand just fine on their own.

Thank you for the detailed response Jeremy! It's always nice to hear reviews on good products from people that know what they are talking about.

I'm currently running the el range 10x42 ta's and a hd Ats 65. They are pretty good but I'd like better.

Can you even compare the nl glass to the el range ta glass? I'm sure it's hard because of the 4 power difference.

I apologize for the later response to this, but I feel like when someone is asking an opinion, you owe it to then to give them the best opinion you can come up with. So I put the two against each other…the EL Range 8x42mm TA's and my 12x42 NL Pure's…I am going to say that first and foremost, this is not an apples to apples comparison. Take it with a grain of salt. Obviously the 12x42 NL Pure and the 8x42 EL Ranges are going to give such a different view just based on their magnification alone. Whether it be in low light, or the middle of the day I think clarity in the middle of the bino is all but identical…they both have the fantastic clarity that one would expect from a Swarovski binocular. Now let's take that image and place it on the edge and evaluate it…that is where the NL is just so much better. If you glass correctly (again an opinion of mine as to what is right and wrong, not an absolute), you should be keeping the bino still and scan the field of view with your eyes. Moving the bino by itself does not give you the best opportunity to see what you are trying to find. When you use the EL Range TA's, there is a rolling ball effect on the outer edge of the lense. It's not as bad as you find in some other binos, but it's there. And you really notice that it is there when you put up the NL Pure's…it is completely gone in the Pure. Absolute best edge to edge quality that I have ever seen. These allow you to use the full field of view of the bino with the greatest of ease, and the least amount of distortion that I have ever seen.

But now you factor in the fact that the EL Ranges have the rangefinder in them…that to me is so valuable and saves you so much time when trying to get a shot off relatively quick. That time savings…in my opinion…can be the difference between getting a good steady shot off, and getting a sloppy rushed shot off. This is why my EL Range TA's will remain in my carry bino harness, and the NL Pure's will always be along for me to use when I'm perched up, looking over a lot of country trying to find the game I'm after.

I hope that helps, and if it doesn't please feel free to ask more questions. I love doing the comparison, and have probably spent the last 2 days, switching in and out between the two preparing to give this answer. I have probably 8 plus hours of just looking through them trying to compile this answer for you.

Jeremy

I called Leica today and they said they actually do not measure their optics products against Swarovski. They seemed to think theirs stand just fine on their own.
Of course they did and so will every other brand maker out there! But we as consumer or at lease me as a buyer compare them to Swarovski. But with that said Leica as well as Zeiss are awesome also.