Swarovski z8i 3.5-28x50 thoughts?

Look....everyone should try out any optics before buying. This should be the case regardless of the cost. One man's preference will often be different from another's. I've always been a believer in buying the best glass you can afford. I believe that because for years I hunted with scopes that were purchased as an afterthought. Whatever was on the shelf was what I bought. The same went for binocs. Then when I started hunting different places and began spending more time behind my glass, I began paying attention to what I was using and what else was out there.
Over the years, I've owned more scopes and binocs than I can count. I buy what I like the most.....period. I don't buy anything because they cost the most. Some guys may operate this way but I don't.
You seem to go out of your way to tell anyone that will listen why Swaro's are overrated and inferior to this and that. Maybe your eyes are telling you this, maybe not. But I stand by my comment about the "blind taste test".

Bullmark,

It's not going out of my way. I wanted that z8i to be the best scope I ever looked through. That's why I spent the money. I figured its glass would be better on 28X than my Bushnell on 30X. It's not just Swarovski which disappointed me. As I read my notes I discovered the Leupold VX-6 was just as good as the Bushnell. It went down the road because it was part of a custom rifle I disassembled and sold all the parts. All of the following were very good but were a line or two behind the Bushnell on the optics chart.

Sig Sauer 5-30X56 Tanngo6 side focus
Leica ER 6.5-26X56 LRS,
Swarovski x5i 5-25X56
Leupold VX-5 CDS-ZL2 3- 15X56
Zeiss Conquest HD 5-25X50
Bushnell 6500 2 ½-16X50 mil dot
Bushnell 4500 2 ½-10X40
Vortex Razor 5-20X50
Minox ZA 5HD 5-25x56 SF PLEX

Great. I guess the moral of the story is to try something out before spending over 3k.
Honestly most any scope, other than the $79.99 Walmart special will get the job done for most hunting scenarios, where a shot is taken in good light and inside of a couple hundred yards. Just like any car that's running will carry you from Pt A to Pt B.
When I'm deciding on a scope the first thing I look for on my checklist is the reticle. I would love to own a NF, but they just don't have a reticle that I prefer. I dial my distance, and have come to love a simple duplex style crosshairs, with an illuminated red dot.....just the dot.
That criteria cuts the list way down. Next it must have a yardage turret that is firm and the more tactical the better.
The glass comes next, honestly there are many scopes that have glass that's more than good enough for my eyes.
Then the company and it's reputation among consumers and also how they are viewed among others in the industry. I have a family member that spent his entire career in the optics business as a chief engineer and chief operations officer for two different companies.....both in Germany and the U.S. Some scopes are designed and built with the price point being the ultimate goal. Some, mostly the European, still set out with performance and features driving the ship. Once they reach their destination, they price the product. Obviously, I prefer to deal with the latter.
This doesn't mean my chosen scopes don't fail or have issues. After yrs of owning S&B's, I may have found a reason to send one in for repair. I have a Exos 3-21x50, a little over 2 yrs old and I love it. It's a bit heavy but that's my only criticism. It's been to the range and hunting a dozen or so times and I recently noticed a small black "fleck" of debris in the very top of the circle. I cleaned and made sure, but it's definitely inside the lens. It's very very small and doesn't interfere in any way with the function. I'm debating whether to send it back.
Sorry to ramble....but I believe "to each their own" and you should buy what you like and apologize to no one. Be well.

Yes that scope was high on my list. I've looked through several and really like em. The last item on my list of requirements is actually finding the scope as a demo or lightly used for a good price. The last two I bought were done so as shot show demos, for $800-$900 off retail.
It'll probably be a bit before I am in the market for another, but that exact scope is the one I'm targeting.

Speaking of criteria, mine is optical clarity first and weight a very close second. Since I don't believe product reviews I look at manufacture's weight and order a scope in the magnification range I want and hope the optics will be great. I think I paid near full retail for the March I ordered.