Swarovski spotter decisions.

Just go to Swarovski website. It's a very good site. There are HUGE differences.

The ATX/STX/BTX are "modular", meaning they come apart in pieces and can be swapped around with one another. I can change my objective sizes from 95mm to 65mm by simply pressing a button and twisting it off then locking the new one in place. If I want a straight spotter, I simply buy that eyepiece and twist it onto one of my objective modules. If I want a binocular style eyepiece, i buy the BTX and slap it on my objectives. If you have friends that have the modular system, you can change parts with each other too.

The ATS/STS are just plane Jane old school Swaro spotters. No frills.

Thanks. I've been on their website for days now. :D Guess I should have clarified. Understand the difference as far as being modular and swapping between parts vs not on the other model. I was asking more along the lines of apples to applies glass, clarity, functionality, etc. Meaning a 25-60X65ATX vs a 20-60X65ATS minus the modular design differences.

Thanks. I've been on their website for days now. :D Guess I should have clarified. Understand the difference as far as being modular and swapping between parts vs not on the other model. I was asking more along the lines of apples to applies glass, clarity, functionality, etc. Meaning a 25-60X65ATX vs a 20-60X65ATS minus the modular design differences.

So the ATX/STX uses their new "Swarovision" HD field flattener technology, ALL eyepiece (ATX, STX, BTX) are "wide angle" view.

The ATS/STS does not have Swarovision and you have to purchase a wide angle eyepiece separately.

Color contrast between the two models are the same warm Swaro colors so not much difference there. Resolution is better on the ATX/STX line edge clarity is better due to Swarovision field flattener tech

Last edited:
Just my opinion, but if you are considering spending top end Swarovski levels of cash on a spotter, you are doing yourself a disservice by not considering the Kowa 88. It is the single most impressive piece of optical kit I have ever used, and is every bit the optical peer of the top end Swarovski (clarity across the entire image is superior with the Kowa in my opinion). The Kowa is also significantly less expensive to boot. I also have Swaro EL binos, but Kowa spotters are pretty **** special.

Just my opinion, but if you are considering spending top end Swarovski levels of cash on a spotter, you are doing yourself a disservice by not considering the Kowa 88. It is the single most impressive piece of optical kit I have ever used, and is every bit the optical peer of the top end Swarovski (clarity across the entire image is superior with the Kowa in my opinion). The Kowa is also significantly less expensive to boot. I also have Swaro EL binos, but Kowa spotters are pretty ---- special.

I've been considering the flourite crystal Kowa myself. I'm sure the image is every bit as impressive. I personally like the modular functionality of my ATX. I use the 95mm objective for glassing from roads and spotting at the range, then use the 65mm for hiking to cut weight.

So the ATX/STX uses their new "Swarovision" HD field flattener technology, ALL eyepiece (ATX, STX, BTX) are "wide angle" view.

The ATS/STS does not have Swarovision and you have to purchase a wide angle eyepiece separately.

Color contrast between the two models are the same warm Swaro colors so not much difference there. Resolution is better on the ATX/STX line edge clarity is better due to Swarovision field flattener tech

really appreciate the 1st hand info. trying to learn as much as possible before I make a $2K+ mistake and wish I had went a different route.

Just my opinion, but if you are considering spending top end Swarovski levels of cash on a spotter, you are doing yourself a disservice by not considering the Kowa 88. It is the single most impressive piece of optical kit I have ever used, and is every bit the optical peer of the top end Swarovski (clarity across the entire image is superior with the Kowa in my opinion). The Kowa is also significantly less expensive to boot. I also have Swaro EL binos, but Kowa spotters are pretty ---- special.

I'll check into the Kowa, but I'm able to buy the Swarvo at dealer cost which makes it a little more affordable.

A very good friend of mine was a Kowa rep. So we got to check them all out in side by side testing. As for the Flurite glass, by and large your paying for something your not getting, and thats true with all manufacturers. They can legally advertise the more costly glass, but "only" the inner element of the multi element objective lens is actually the flurite glass. All the rest is the standard glass, same as the non Flurite models. Sit them side by side on a normal day and you "wont" see any difference. Admittedly, we never tried a dawn or dusk test.
But ask yourself if thats how you would use a spotter. Today, Kowa is the only scope maker that still offers individual power eyepieces as in 30x, 20x etc. Those type eyepieces will as a rule be sharper than the zoom/variable power type. Again, side by side on the same day looking at the same objects,
only the Swaro owner will see any difference between those and the Kowa.

Appreciate the input and thanks for clarification. I agree. No problem on spotting deer/trophies/buck of a lifetime at those distances with 20-60X magnification, but when you are ageing deer my eyes aren't good enough without more magnification to tell the subtleties once a deer is in rut or post rut. Since this won't be used from a pack except for a few elk hunts, I'm leaning towards the 95mm ATX if I can stomach the price. I also don't see an 85mm objective in the ATS/STS. Only the ATX/STX/BTX line unless I'm missing it?

Anyone that's used both lines want to give me a quick run down on the differences between the ATS/STS and ATX/STX/BTX line?

Swaro has a 20-60x80 ATS. I have both the 20-60X80 ATS and the 95 ATX/BTX. Hands down the ATX/BTX is better. Also I hardly use the single eye piece anymore. The BTX is a game changer. I pack both the ATX and BTX eye pieces and I only used the ATX once in 14 days when a buck was just to far away to judge with the BTX. Only negative about the BTX for me is I don't digiscope as much now because I don't have an adapter for the BTX. I'm sure I could find one or make one that would work on it.

As for the Flurite glass, by and large your paying for something your not getting, and thats true with all manufacturers. They can legally advertise the more costly glass, but "only" the inner element of the multi element objective lens is actually the flurite glass. All the rest is the standard glass, same as the non Flurite models. Sit them side by side on a normal day and you "wont" see any difference.

I am not sure what your point is. Who cares if all of the glass isn't pure Fluorite? The point of using Fluorite is to eliminate chromatic aberration. The Kowa 88 succeeds at this (CA is basically nonexistent), so clearly Kowa met their design goals.

Also, Fluorite has absolutely nothing to do with light transmission, so I am not sure what difference a dawn/dusk test would make. It just so happens that the Kowa 88 has outstanding low light performance (no doubt aided by the massive objective lens), but that has nothing to do with the use of Fluorite.

I have used the Kowa' big eyes, ATS and ATX all side by side in hunting conditions. If I had to chose I would say the ATX is the better of them. Also I love the BTX option it is a game changer IMO.

Its really splitting hairs between them, they are all top notch and I wouldn't be disappointed with any of them

Marine Snipers can have whatever they want. They use Kowa.

Lol. Im a Naval veteran and my cousin was a Marine Scout Sniper. I'll tell you right now that they dont get "whatever they want". They get equipment from the company that met military specs, submitted a bid for the contract, and won. The Marines dont have government debit cards or Amazon accounts to get whatever gear they like ;) Swarovski, Leica, or Meopta will deliver the similar optical performance as Kowa and if they would have bid on the contract and won, (which they probably didn't even bid), then that's what they would be using.

Spec operators may have somewhat of a choice amongst items available to them, but they dont get "whatever they want". I'll guarantee they dont have Swarovski on their list to choose from...

Last edited:
Swaro has a 20-60x80 ATS. I have both the 20-60X80 ATS and the 95 ATX/BTX. Hands down the ATX/BTX is better. Also I hardly use the single eye piece anymore. The BTX is a game changer. I pack both the ATX and BTX eye pieces and I only used the ATX once in 14 days when a buck was just to far away to judge with the BTX. Only negative about the BTX for me is I don't digiscope as much now because I don't have an adapter for the BTX. I'm sure I could find one or make one that would work on it.

Pick up the 1.7x magnification extender if you dont have one. It multiplies the BTX mag as well. Only about $400 and it's quite small and easy to pack. Well worth the money in my opinion.

Pick up the 1.7x magnification extender if you dont have one. It multiplies the BTX mag as well. Only about $400 and it's quite small and easy to pack. Well worth the money in my opinion.

I plan on it. I just didn't get it before hunting started last year. I would imagine with the ME I would probably be able to quit packing the ATX eyepiece? Maybe not though.

Warning! This thread is more than 6 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.