Swaro to Gold Ring HD= Huge disappointment

Tikka Lover

Official LRH SPONSOR
So I had a non HD Swarovski spotting scope that I have used for a 3 years, awesome glass, obviously but as heavy as my 30" barreled Edge. I wanted something with close to the same glass but much lighter and compact for putting in my pack.

It looked like my only option was the Leupold Gold Ring HD, which I found many great reviews for but when I got it on the tripod, man was I disappointed. At 12X everything looks good, anything above that, I can't get a clear picture, looks out of focus no matter what. Every time I move my head the image moves and the whole picture gets wavy, not clear on the edges the list goes on and on.

My question is, did I miss a model somewhere out there that is compact and lighter like the Gold Ring but with much better glass. Please let me know if you are aware of one.

Thanks

They are a step below the Leo,and have very little eye relief,have to be right in scope practically bumping it. I have older Leo non hd.It is fair up to 30 but not in same class as ziess-Swaro.The 50 is small field of view

i'd bet that the gold ring you purchased is defective.exchange it for another one and i bet your problem is solved.gold ring series spotters are pretty nice glass and your description of the one you have is not the norm for these spotters.

You need to talk with Leupold or the dealer you bought from. That is unlike anything I have ever seen in their HD lineup and I have looked through a few.

Scot E.

zeiss makes a dialyte spotting scope, and also if had an older swarovski spotter, the new magnesium bodies are lighter. if you liked the normal swarovski spotter, the HD models are really nice in high mirage conditions.

I called Leupold today and the UPS man has already taken it away. He said the same thing a couple of you guys said about those issues not being normal.

I guess I will save judgement until it arrives back in my hands.

Good news. I am not a big Leupold scope fan but do like their gold line binos and spotters.

Keep us informed on the outcome.

Scot E.

no Brian I have never looked through the nikon 50 but when I was in the market for a spotter I did a lot of research on birding forums and everything I had read about that spotter was great! Let me know how your Leupold turns out because I am in the same boat as you, my swaro 80mm is weighing down my pack.

leuopold is bunch of junk, quality going downhill since they have models vari 1 thru V 100000 something..............lol
cheap junk no comparison to NF, zeiss conquest beats junky leuopoldgun)

Like I said in my earlier post, the Nikon 50 is not even up to my really old non hd Leo.It is super small,no eye relief and I had a hard time seeing bullet holes at 400 with it today.For a small pack scope ok,but nothing like what you are used to,with Swaro.

For me I prefer clarity more than light weight. I have already gone thru the looking for light weight but clear as a zeiss scope ordeal....my conclusion...I was drinking the wrong kool aid...lol

Back to a zeiss 85 mm....ahhh much better....but heavy..oh well...carry less snacks..

Update:

UPS brought my spotting scope back to me today. Quick turnaround and they paid shipping both ways (nice). Good customer service DOES NOT make up for inferior products though.
The work order I received with my scope says they cleaned the body armor, all the lenses and adjusted parallax. This scope had been out of the box a total of 30 minutes when I sent it to them. Nothing needed to be cleaned. The parallax adjustment did nothing. The image still bends and gets distorted when you move you head the slightest bit, edges are still fuzzy and the picture is hard to get focused if at all.
I would expect this quality of scope to run about $200-$300 not over $1000. Still a huge disappointment. Maybe I will have to go back to big and heavy but superior quality like Hntelk mentioned.

Warning! This thread is more than 12 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.