Swaro Rangefinder Feedback

Thankyou Broz for all your info on the RF units. I too am a big Swaro fan with 3 pair of their Bino's and 4 of their rifle scopes. I would have bought a Swaro RF but now have a CRF 1600 on the way. I shoot alot of Ground Hogs and hope that the smaller beam will pick them up better. You have saved me alot of $, again thanks.

Thankyou Broz for all your info on the RF units. I too am a big Swaro fan with 3 pair of their Bino's and 4 of their rifle scopes. I would have bought a Swaro RF but now have a CRF 1600 on the way. I shoot alot of Ground Hogs and hope that the smaller beam will pick them up better. You have saved me alot of $, again thanks.

You are more than welcome. I hope you are pleased with your new RF. Just remember to get a solid rest and I bet you will get done what you want.

Jeff

My LRF is used only for Pdogs . I have tried three different Brands in the past . Second best was a Leica 1200 Scan . It was good out to 800 or 900 Yards , but sometimes gave no readings in bright Sunlight . The Swaro worked better ( at least to get a reading ) for Ranges beyond 800 Yards , hands down . Right now I'm not shooting beyond the Range of the Leica , but eventually I would like to go out to maybe 1200 Yards , so I bought the Swaro and compared them side-by-side . I don't have to worry much about not taking a Trophy Pdog , so the Swaro works for me . Wind drift if much more a problem for me than any few feet in Ranging Error , and there are always more Pdogs around if I miss . The points made about Big Game are well taken . I did like the Leica Reticle Color , Size , and Shape better than the Swaro . The Leica actuation Switch was more precise too . The Swaro tends to bobble a little unless I use a good Rest .....at least for my Arthritic hands .

Again I thank you all for the thoughfull responses, especially Broz, as you obviously have done some work on this.

I am a banker so stats, reference numbers, and ratio's are part of my daily life so I do understand the concept of the smaller beam, but am confused why so many say the Swaro unit is more reliable than the beam divergence number seems to reference. I get that the Swaro may provide an incorrect reading, but why wouldn't the Leica provide any at all when the Swaro will?

Back to the main question in my second post that I do not seem to have an answer to yet. What, if any, other factors play into the consistency of readings, especially at long range, other than beam divergence size. Is there differences in laser quality, or maybe does optical quality come into play?

With this question answered I feel I would be in a position to make a more informed decision.

PS Thanks for some feedback on the costs of the Vectronix units as my google search yesterday showed them much much more expensive.

They take the same 3V battery so I would guess the lasers are very simular in strength. That is just a gut feeling tho. The vectronix takes two 3V in series for a 6V total. The reason so many feel the Swaro is superior is it simply returns reading easier as most users dont get a solid enough rest. Also, remember that when many of these reports were given the Swaro was being compared to the Leica 1200 CRF or even earlier Leica 1200 LRF scan. In the past year the Leica CRF 1600 was introduced and has changed things a little.

You will also want to know that the Leica's are 7X magnification and the Swaro is 8X. As far as optic quality I can tell no differences. Both come from high quality makers of great optica and their glass is very clean.

Jeff

Broz how many range finders do you take with you hunting?Sounds like you take 4-5 with you hunting.I have a swaro rangefinder. But and my longest shot this year is 603 yards and my longest shot ever which I ranged with my swaro, so as long as I don't shoot more than 800 yards this range finder is ok.

Broz how many range finders do you take with you hunting?Sounds like you take 4-5 with you hunting.I have a swaro rangefinder. But and my longest shot this year is 603 yards and my longest shot ever which I ranged with my swaro, so as long as I don't shoot more than 800 yards this range finder is ok.

Broz didn't mention his LRF bandolier? Custom fitted? A LRF for every occasion! :D

I only carry the Vectronix now, but have a Leica CRF for back up in the truck. The reason I have owned so many was the first few Swaro's had the battery freeze up issue. Then I had one for my son which we have sold and replaced with a Leica CRF. For a while I was buying them to compare looking for a superior unit among the swaros. Yes some will range farther than others, not all RF's are created equal until you get to the PLRF10. I bought 5 of those used and they all were equal and ranged awesome.

Don't take all this wrong, the Swaro hasa 6' beam at 1000 yards so it is probably only about 4' at 800 yds. Just watch it on the flat ground and especially in sage brush, corn stalks, etc. Get a rest!!! You wouln't shoot a rifle off hand to 800 yards expecting to hit 2' either side of the target , right? Or 1000 yards expection to hit 3' either side? This is why a rest is so important. Get it solid and get 3 consecutive matching numbers. Then I would say you are good to go.

Paul,,,, :D:D This is coming from a guy that ownes how many Chronographs and uses them all at once??? :D

Jeff

I got my CRF 1600 late yesterday and had just enough time to try it out on some allready know distances before dark. It was very accurate and I was pleased with the very compact size. I will post more after I play with it some more today. Thanks again Broz for leading me in the right direction.

Update: Went out this morning and played with the unit and it gave me good repeatable read outs on all kinds of objects at various distances and it is a very cloudy day with off and on rain. The longest I got was a white end of ahouse at 1606yrds. I think I got a good one.lightbulb

Warning! This thread is more than 13 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.