Suppressor Questions

Maybe someone from a company which builds supprresors could comment on what sort of things go bad on ones which get returned. I'd bet most of them get damaged from knocking them into things, like trees, rocks, or ground and damaging from torque where the suppressor attaches to the rifle.

Titanium isn't as mechanically strong as steel for the same dimensions, but it can take higher temperature. Stainless has higher thermal conductivity and than titanium and less expansion. Titanium will get hotter for the same number of shots if they have the same dimensions and thickness. There may be some other adavantages to titanium, but the main reason to use it is reduced weight. A stainless/inconel AAC Omega rated for 300 WM weighs 29 oz. The Titanium Sandstorm rated for 300 WM is 13.3 oz. It would not surprise me if the AAC is stronger, but I chose the Sandstorm based mostly on weight.
I doubt I'll ever wear it out. I'm already a senior citizen I don't expect to shoot anything with more case capacity than a 308 Win. Mostly with subsonic 300 BLK.

I believe in most cases of failure it's do to, baffle erosion, over heating, seamless weld failures and down right misaligned suppressors on rifles when there threads were not cut concentric to the bore. There are other reasons like materials... and **** poor design and workmanship. But aforementioned seem to show up time and time again in some manufactures suppressor products.
Shooting them subsonic, they'll last for quite some time even a crappy one. Supersonic'.., it's going to fail at some point in the near future, that a given, as to when go back to the first comment.
Have fun; be careful, you don't want to put an eye out. :cool:

Cheers.

Why do you think that shooting supersonic rounds will cause a failure sooner than later? I know the ones I built are heavy built and out of 304 stainless. It would be like wearing out a muzzle brake. I would think worst case scenerio is you erode the blast baffle and start getting a little extra noise.

Why do you think that shooting supersonic rounds will cause a failure sooner than later? I know the ones I built are heavy built and out of 304 stainless. It would be like wearing out a muzzle brake. I would think worst case scenerio is you erode the blast baffle and start getting a little extra noise.

If you think about it; supersonic loads generate more heat and pressure, than does subsonic ammo which has far less powder in the case; as the remaining un-burnt powder hits the first baffle, just after the expansion chamber of the suppressor tube, the erosion gets worse and worse when using supersonic ammo; the higher velocity, the higher pressure, the more un-burnt power and heat, hence more erosion an faster wear.

In heavy supersonic loads; the un-burnt powder acts like a sand blaster under heat.

As for muzzle breaks'…, they "don't capture" heat and pressure like a suppressor, they just redirect a small out of the muzzle blast in it. And by the way; muzzle break can and do wear, it's just over a much long time span. Put muzzle break on a full auto weapon, in a battle cartridge and you'll see {it's measurable although in small about} much sooner.
When a suppressor wears something {a part of it} out, they can have a louder "dB" decibels report, but usually it just gets loose and you start getting baffle strikes.

I guess it all depends on the type of use. Some of the supressors are fully welded stainless and rated for full auto. It really depends on if you are building one for weight or durability. The ones I have will never shoot lose or get a baffle strike from wear. The clearance will get larger overtime but that's it. I don't see them ever getting much heat since I don't rattle off long strings of shots. The muzzle brakes are subject to the same "sand blasting" as the blast baffle in a can and after thousands of shots they are still working well.

Questions:
If you do wear out a suppressor what do you do with it? I realize the manufacturer may be able to rebuild it, but if they say they can't what are you supposed to do with a worn out suppressor to get it off your and the BATF's books?

Does a suppressor transfer to your legal heir? Would they have to go though the same transfer process and pay the transfer fee as if they bought it? How about a non-heir if you will it to someone?

From the FAQ on the ATF web page "The original damaged silencer should be reported to the NFA Branch as destroyed." It's a little vague but whenever I have talked to them on the phone they have been real helpful so a phone call would probably get it done.

Questions:
If you do wear out a suppressor what do you do with it? I realize the manufacturer may be able to rebuild it, but if they say they can't what are you supposed to do with a worn out suppressor to get it off your and the BATF's books?

Does a suppressor transfer to your legal heir? Would they have to go though the same transfer process and pay the transfer fee as if they bought it? How about a non-heir if you will it to someone?

I think lazylabs is given some good info. From what I can understand from BATF rules; which I might add they "BATF" has a hard time understand their own rules, is if you damage a suppressor you can report as destroyed, and still keep the same serial number, which can go on to a new suppressor, the kicker here is, the new suppressor has to be identical too the one that was destroyed; identical in caliber, size'…, with "all' the same writing on the outside of the new suppressor.
To destroy the suppressor; take it to a BATF office {or one of their Agents} have them certify it's been destroyed by them.
When you pay the "tax stamp" you're not buying the suppressor from BATF your buying the "serial number" which is yours until you have BAFT take it off the books, that you have to make a written request for, and prove that suppressor is destroyed.

No suppressor can "just" transfers to another, the person that is named as a legal heir or non- heir has to apply for tax stamp {new number} under his name and pass the back ground check by the Fed's before he can receive the suppressor. The estate then sends the suppressor to a class II or III dealer who can accept the suppressor to make the transfer; and/or store the suppressor for future sale or liquidation of property.

As I said before, and as lazylabs has said' if in doubt call BATF I think it's the San Francisco branch, Wash D.C office is a zoo to deal with.

I used a suppressor yesterday for the first time. A friend of mine brought it over and we screwed it on my 7wsm. I was very impressed with the reduced recoil and the reduced noise pollution. I have been waiting about two months for my paperwork and probably another 4 until i get it. I saw yesterday that my POI changed with the supressor screwed on. Do i need to have a rifle dedicated to only using a suppressor?

my POI changed with the supressor screwed on. Do i need to have a rifle dedicated to only using a suppressor?
How large is the POI change?
You have at least six choices.
1. Ignore the shift and only shoot at short range.
2. Remember and hold off the POI shift. (better than 1)
3. Click the offfset into the scope when you're using the suppressor.
4. Use two scopes with quality QD rings. Swap scopes when you shoot suppressed.
5. Use dedicated rifles.
6. Use the suppressor all the time.

3 is usually the most pracatical.
4Two scopes makes sense if one is night vision. A sound suppressor is an excellent flash suppressor.
5 Dedicated rifles make most sense if one is subsonic.
6 Practical in some environmets but supppressors are bulky, heavy, and delicate compared to not using a suppressor. Know your state laws. In my state suppressors are legal to own and shoot but not for use when hunting.

Some states are changing their laws related to hunting with suppressors, or at least considering it.

When I typed the post above on February/25/2012 I said that in my state hunting with a suppressor was illegal, but only one month later on March/27/2012 Arizona's governor completely reversed that by signing House Bill 2728 into law. It is now legal to hunt any game in Arizona using a legally owned suppressor. The law did not change anything else like the type of firearms or cartridges that can be used, the time when hunting is legal, the kinds of game that can be taken, who can hunt, or the permits required.

Warning! This thread is more than 13 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Recent Posts