Short Barrel Short Mag suppressor host questions

Lee D

Just wanted to ask and see if anyone has crunched many numbers or compared suppression for a short barreled short mag as I decide what barrel I want to order.

The idea is to have a lightweight overall compact rifle that will not be cumbersome or heavy for shooting off hand out of a deer stand, all while wearing a 7" suppressor.

I was originally considering 270wsm heavily, and then the more research I did I've shyed away, and I'm worried I will wish I had more oomph than a 6.5cm, so I've been considering a 20" 6.5PRC. Do not reload currently, plan to get into it, but commercial ammo support is a consideration at this time.

Just wondering if anyone had done cut down velocity tests or determined which lengths were optimal for velocity nodes, basically if 20" lost a ton of performance from say a 22 or 23", or if a 19 or 21" happened to be better harmonics wise, as well as if it will drastically affect the sound suppression.

Already have a 26" 7mm rm so looking for something I can have that is handier, lighter, shorter, but still packs a good punch while suppressed.

Thanks in advance
Lee

If you're shooting from a stand , why not use a standard length barrel in whatever cartridge you choose?

I hunt and shoot suppressed exclusively, I'm definitely on board with a shorty for extended hiking, but for stand hunting I'd run a standard length personally.

maneuvering a 26" barrel with 7" suppressor out of a box stand with a low roof and limited width to shooting windows quickly is a bit of a chore, I've done it. basically I've done that rodeo, done it in a self climbing stand, and hunted out of a ground blind, and would appreciate a shorter and lighter overall rifle for those purposes as well as using as a mountain type rifle.

Something to keep in mind, short barrels, even suppressed, are still relatively loud. I had my 22-250 shortened up to 18in last year and shooting it suppressed, I would definitely NOT consider it quiet enough to shoot without some sort of ear protection.

if the alternative is shooting an unsuppressed rifle without ear pro, Ill take the reduction.

It may not necessarily be that much quieter at the muzzle, the muzzle is just closer to you with a shorter barrel.

50-600yds. 6.5 PRC fits the bill nicely for what I'm hoping to do, just debating on barrel length between 19 and 23" to the threads

I needed a short suppressed rifle for a competition across the pond. I went with the 6.5 PRC and a 130 gr. class bullet. About 3,000 fps. at the top end using:

Norma MRP
Re-25/26
H-1000

Somewhere in those 4 powders you should find a sweet spot. You should be good to 800 yards with over 1,000 ft/lbs of energy at that target distance.

I needed a short suppressed rifle for a competition across the pond. I went with the 6.5 PRC and a 130 gr. class bullet. About 3,000 fps. at the top end using:

Norma MRP
Re-25/26
H-1000

Somewhere in those 4 powders you should find a sweet spot. You should be good to 800 yards with over 1,000 ft/lbs of energy at that target distance.

what length barrel though?

A 6.5prc fits the bill pretty well with a 20 to 22 inch barrel. If you push them hard you can still get close to 3000fps.

I think I'm going to do a 20" PRC, just deciding on a manners stock and which barrel to go with now. Leaning towards an EH2 or EH3 stock

Warning! This thread is more than 5 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.