Short barrel magnum performance

What load and velocity are you getting?
Haven't tried heavier 140 gr bullets, using 60 gr H1000 I get 3200 fps with 120 gr MTH copper bullets. That theoretically gets to 1000 yds at the minimum recommended speed for bullet performance according to Cutting Edge. Longest game I've taken was a cow elk at 620 yds.

I've got a Tikka T3 in 7mm rem mag that I'm going to put a 22" CF Hardy barrel on. I've gone with a 1:9 twist and going to mess around with 215 Berger Hybrid and some 200 TSXs as well as wells as the 180 elite hunter. It seem like guys have shot a .308 win mag and 215 hybrid with good results.

The purpose of this rifle is a do all gun, for South East Alaska, for a light compact gun in the blue berry brush, devils club, alder, etc for shots on deer up to 500 yards. But also heavier for bear.

I'll updates as it goes, just my 2 cents with, Happy Thanksgiving

I guess I shouldn't have used 1000 yards. I am wanting to know if there is experience with short barreled magnums and what some of pros and cons are in a long range situation. Other than FPS loss and muzzle blast are there any for long hikes in the Rockies? My 27nosler,300RUM,7-300wm are all very capable long range rigs but I am getting tired of the length.

There are a lot of us shooting specialty pistols with barrels in the 18-20" range past 1000 yards with excellent results. The only handicap you'll have from a short barrel is velocity. I have multiple 18" barreled pistols which are capable of .5 MOA groups at 1000 yards (with a capable shooter) including the 338/375 which is burning 76gr of powder with the 250gr bullets and is capable of meeting your performance goals. The others (6mm BR and 284 Win) offer the accuracy and consistency at 1000 yards, but not the terminal performance you're looking for. The barrel length won't hold you back.

If you're willing to go to a long action, you'll easily hit your 1000 yard performance goal. With something like a 7mm WSM or SAUM I think you'll hit it with a short action.

Warning! This thread is more than 7 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.