Short barrel magnum performance

Factory Remington Premier ammo with 160 grain Partitions clocks at 2980 fps out of my 22" barreled 7 SAUM.

Are there some other options that may fit into this discussion
You gotta know that you can't have everything, or we'd all have it by now. Hell, we'd all have the same wonder gun.
The parameter in conflict here is 1,000yds.
Why 1kyd?
Can you stalk with a stubby boom stick to within 500yds?
Would change everything.

I guess I shouldn't have used 1000 yards. I am wanting to know if there is experience with short barreled magnums and what some of pros and cons are in a long range situation. Other than FPS loss and muzzle blast are there any for long hikes in the Rockies? My 27nosler,300RUM,7-300wm are all very capable long range rigs but I am getting tired of the length.

There are choices that anyone can choose to pick from.
Still might be wize to stay close to some age old ideas at least.
Well they've been building rifles this way for years with Wildcat'ers pushing the limits of exceptions.

Here's what I'm getting under way in the following month from now.

I'm tuning a 30/06 Remington Long Range into a Bush Hog / PRS rifle.

It weights around 11 to 12 lbs all in.

The Bell Carlson stock will be replaced by a Wildcat Composites carbon fiber Stock, the barrle will get cut to length of 23 1/2".

My gun Smith friend will spin the heavy barrel to put the whole package into the 8 1/2 lb category.
I'll get him to prep my extra barrle at the same time.

That's the nice thing about heavy barrel rifles,,, there easy to turn into medium heavy weight units since there is alot of iron to work with.

Once I finish off this barrel, he can lap things before attaching the replacement.

I tried faster burning powders this year for bullets over 150gr, and I found out later that larger cases are not overly friendly with "some" of the faster burn rates.
I my self did not want to play around in that area,,, but yes, it can be done.

Slower burn rate powders offer one thing, a smoother consistany across the board with medium and large cases.

Probably more wrong then right. I'm sure others will fill in this gap.

From Western Canada Don

EA742798-951C-42CC-BD9B-ACCBE52BEC49.jpeg
I have a 20" 6.5 SAUM, with a Bartlein #3 barrel. Very accurate, it is a great light and compact deer/elk (and pronghorn) rifle. Built on a Tikka WSM by GAP. It weighs about 9 lb with scope and bipod.

Last edited:
If weight is your concern, go with it and be happy with what you have. If you are trying to get high velocities out of a short barrel, burning more powder and using smaller bullets is about the only way to go. Use 180's or less and you should get some decent velocities.

Just for educational purposes and a certain degree of entertainment value, here are two videos of two different .308 Win. rifles with 18" and 20" barrels shooting to 1,000 yards and beyond:

GAP Gladius rifle with 18" barrel:

Sniper's Hide Hitting 1500 yards with 20" 308 Rifle

The 300 WSM will still yield more velocity and energy than the .308 Win. even at 1,000 yards from these short barrels.

Accuracy and precision will up to the shooter, the rifle and load.

Regards.

My 7 RSAUM is on an XP-100 with a 17.5" barrel (Bartlein #4).

Berger 168 VLDH have been pushed to 2850 fps.

I've pushed Hornady 162 ELDX @ 2774 fps without going max on the powder charge.

I've done several other calibers on short barrels. All have performed well for me.

Warning! This thread is more than 7 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.