Suggestion for rangefinders

I have both the BR2 and the SIG. Sig kicks the BR2s but when it comes to a ballistic solution. I haven't used my BR2 in a while, but if I recall correctly, you input wind in 5 mph increments; SIG is 1 mph and you enter using clock directions. SIG accounts for spin drift and aerodynamic jump; BR2 does not. BR2 is pure black, which if left in the sun heats up and shows temps higher than ambient (SIG has some black).

SIG does a terrible job in fog or snow; not sure how the BR2 does. SIG will range out far, but yesterday in bright sunlight I had to range several times to get a reading at 1180. Two other issues with the SIG: you can load unlimited ballistic profiles in your iPhone, but can only load four into the rangefinder. MAKE SURE you have the right profile. Not an issue when hunting, but I always shoot multiple rifles; in CO last month I missed my 24x24 gong completely - I was like ***?? Then I saw I had the wrong profile synched to my rangefinder. The other issue with the SIG that is sometimes frustrating is inputting your wind via iPhone and then synching. It sometimes doesn't sync, but you will know because your wind holdoff will be zero. You can input wind manually as well, and it is pretty fast unless you need to go down in wind speed from your previous - they you need to go all the way up to 40 mph before it goes back to zero on the toggle switch. Two switches would be infinitely better.

SIG is smaller than the BR2.

Like I said, I have both but the SIG is what I use now. When the Trijicon Ventus comes out, I will try that one, but it won't come cheap.
Sig only allows very cryptic number assignments....1,2,3,4....... for different rifle/bullet profiles. Very easy to select the wrong profile as related by LRNut. Our long range gun club has banned the Sig RF for specifically this issue after several errant rounds left the range property due to incorrect profile being selected. I've discussed this with SigCustomer Service and Product Manager numerous times. They jushave a dazzed look and basically say "DUH". Not very customer astute and oriented.

I didn't know that; pretty cool. Thanks.

Can you input your own wind estimation based on mirage, or does it automatically use the Kestrel measured wind?
Kestrel only measures wind at your location.....basically useless compared to reading mirage at your target and in between.

Sig only allows very cryptic number assignments....1,2,3,4....... for different rifle/bullet profiles. Very easy to select the wrong profile as related by LRNut. Our long range gun club has banned the Sig RF for specifically this issue after several errant rounds left the range property due to incorrect profile being selected. I've discussed this with SigCustomer Service and Product Manager numerous times. They jushave a dazzed look and basically say "DUH". Not very customer astute and oriented.
One way to ensure you have the right ballistic profile is to look at the HUD display on your phone after you range - it will show the MV, which identifies your rifle unless you happen to have two with exactly the same MV. I have also gotten into the habit now of cycling the SIG's profile selection, but even then, you have to look at your phone to be sure what "1" is vs "2" if you have a lot of profiles.

On a hunt, you could just sync one profile or if you are really nervous, make four identical ones and then it wouldn't matter. But I agree Pro2A, they need a better description.

One way to ensure you have the right ballistic profile is to look at the HUD display on your phone after you range - it will show the MV, which identifies your rifle unless you happen to have two with exactly the same MV. I have also gotten into the habit now of cycling the SIG's profile selection, but even then, you have to look at your phone to be sure what "1" is vs "2" if you have a lot of profiles.

On a hunt, you could just sync one profile or if you are really nervous, make four identical ones and then it wouldn't matter. But I agree Pro2A, they need a better description.
Or, Sig could just listen to user input/requests and correct their short sighted Marketing direction to the engineers.....and, avoid a 1200+ member gun club from banning their RF.

ABS is the applied ballistics solver program that will take in all your settings and the environmental conditions to give you a elevation and windage correction to shoot that distance .

I have a sig 2400abs and also a gen1 G7BR2 . the sig is much smaller , making it nicer to carry . the sig considers a few more things to give your corrections . compass direction , for Coriolis . spin drift , aerodynamic jump . these are the three I can think of right off . my sig ranges to 1600 yards pretty well . it's hit and miss at 2050 yards . it never got a hit at 2375 yards . I've never tried the G7BR2 out to these distances .

EDIT : here is a link to another set up . I haven't seen it work yet , we should be getting together this summer to do some shooting . I'm anxious to see this in action .

one more EDIT :

another link for you to read

ABS is for Applied Ballistics Solution!

Or, Sig could just listen to user input/requests and correct their short sighted Marketing direction to the engineers.....and, avoid a 1200+ member gun club from banning their RF.
Sound like your range doesn't have the greatest backstop. Hell, at our range it is not uncommon for some of us to boresight a new scope mount and then have another shooter spot as we shoot at a 36 inch gong at 500 yards. I have also seen numerous times where guys have shot at a 500 yard gong thinking they had dialed in the right setting, but not checking and whizzing a round over the 500 yard targets. And then there are the guys with open sighted AKs flinging bullets over the place at 500 yards.

Even using the wrong profile I didn't miss that 24x24 target at 905 by much. If it was a public range with a proper backstop, it would have caught it.

It is a great tool for the money and really hard to beat. The profile labeling is a slight downfall but geez this thing is giving you all the info you need to make a variety of shots and when picking which profile is as mentioned a slight downfall if you pick the wrong one it is on the user. Next people will be talking crap cause it won't pull the trigger for them!

I can believe that the same thing happens when you buy a new rifle. As soon as you get home with it you see something new and a little bit better.

I grabbed a pack of Denise's cigarettes to put a size on these two rangefinders . the sig is slightly bigger than a pack of cigarettes' .

I'll mention this just in case you're like me and don't have a smartphone . the sig app needs to be on a smartphone or tablet . it needs to be mobile . to set this up properly I take the tablet along to input things in the field . velocity put in at home will skew the info . I figured this out the hard way . also be sure to calibrate the compass before use , again I found out the hard way .
Wouldn't happen to want to get rid of the sig 👍