Suggestion for rangefinders

loghome

I'm looking for a little help in choosing a rangefinder. I'm currently using a Nikon binoculars they go out to 1900 yd. I'm looking to maybe get something with the ballistics and angles and all that in it. A buddy of mine has a sig Sauer I think it's 2,400 he can program four or five rifles in it. I was looking at that and the G7 BR2 I was wondering if anyone had any information about those or what you would recommend. I hunt Colorado El Camino deer figuring on shooting out to 1,000. Looking for a rangefinder that's going to be accurate and that'll pick up pretty decent at that range. Thanks in advance for any information.

I have both the BR2 and the SIG. Sig kicks the BR2s but when it comes to a ballistic solution. I haven't used my BR2 in a while, but if I recall correctly, you input wind in 5 mph increments; SIG is 1 mph and you enter using clock directions. SIG accounts for spin drift and aerodynamic jump; BR2 does not. BR2 is pure black, which if left in the sun heats up and shows temps higher than ambient (SIG has some black).

SIG does a terrible job in fog or snow; not sure how the BR2 does. SIG will range out far, but yesterday in bright sunlight I had to range several times to get a reading at 1180. Two other issues with the SIG: you can load unlimited ballistic profiles in your iPhone, but can only load four into the rangefinder. MAKE SURE you have the right profile. Not an issue when hunting, but I always shoot multiple rifles; in CO last month I missed my 24x24 gong completely - I was like ***?? Then I saw I had the wrong profile synched to my rangefinder. The other issue with the SIG that is sometimes frustrating is inputting your wind via iPhone and then synching. It sometimes doesn't sync, but you will know because your wind holdoff will be zero. You can input wind manually as well, and it is pretty fast unless you need to go down in wind speed from your previous - they you need to go all the way up to 40 mph before it goes back to zero on the toggle switch. Two switches would be infinitely better.

SIG is smaller than the BR2.

Like I said, I have both but the SIG is what I use now. When the Trijicon Ventus comes out, I will try that one, but it won't come cheap.

Last edited:
Thanks for the info I seen the sig is quite a bit cheaper maybe I'll try that. What is yours is that the sake I think it's 2400

Mine is the 2400 ABS I think. I bought my BR2 from Gunwerks; not sure if they are still the supplier, but I would bet a lot of money they don't build themselves, thus they mark up more than SIG.

I have a SIG not the 2400 but it's not worth a chit in flat country where you have to range the animal. I cant get ranges past 500. Works good in mountains where is will reflect. My advise is look elsewhere than the SIG

My friend has Sig binos and says they are the best thing since sliced bread. I personally haven't looked through them and I cant remember the model for sure. I know he ranged a white gong at 1,001 yards at our 1k yard range on his first try.

Last edited:
I have a SIG not the 2400 but it's not worth a chit in flat country where you have to range the animal. I cant get ranges past 500. Works good in mountains where is will reflect. My advise is look elsewhere than the SIG

The beam divergence of the the BR2500 (replacement for the BR2) is .75x1.5 Mrads; hopefully the .75 is in the vertical direction. The beam divergence of the SIG is 1.4 Mrad, so the BR2500 might do a better job in flat country. The BR2 has a 2x4 Mrad divergence. All of these rangefinders use signal filtering technology, eg, return the first reading, etc.

The BR2 laser is a class 1 laser; the Sig uses a class 3. Class 3 lasers emit up to five times the energy levels of Cl 1 lasers.

FWIW, I just ranged a few things with the BR2 and SIG. The SIG won hands down. Measured a palm tree at 1083; BR2 came up blank. Measured a small object (heat pump maybe?) on roof with another house behind it; BR2 did not.

The Trijicon Ventus will use four lasers. If you think about it, four lasers will concentrate their energy at the center; it is designed to measure out to five kilos IIRC and measure wind speeds every 100 yards out to 500.

Just watch for a kilo 2400 abs for a good deal. It gets down and so far corrections with ABS using custom curves has been spot on! Just remember like all other setups like this your solution is derived from what u input so make sure your data is correct and LET ER EAT!

What is the ABS I'll have to look that up but the way it sounds I think that's what I'm going to try.
ABS is the applied ballistics solver program that will take in all your settings and the environmental conditions to give you a elevation and windage correction to shoot that distance .

I have a sig 2400abs and also a gen1 G7BR2 . the sig is much smaller , making it nicer to carry . the sig considers a few more things to give your corrections . compass direction , for Coriolis . spin drift , aerodynamic jump . these are the three I can think of right off . my sig ranges to 1600 yards pretty well . it's hit and miss at 2050 yards . it never got a hit at 2375 yards . I've never tried the G7BR2 out to these distances .

EDIT : here is a link to another set up . I haven't seen it work yet , we should be getting together this summer to do some shooting . I'm anxious to see this in action .

one more EDIT :

another link for you to read

Last edited:
ABS is the applied ballistics solver program that will take in all your settings and the environmental conditions to give you a elevation and windage correction to shoot that distance .

I have a sig 2400abs and also a gen1 G7BR2 . the sig is much smaller , making it nicer to carry . the sig considers a few more things to give your corrections . compass direction , for Coriolis . spin drift , aerodynamic jump . these are the three I can think of right off . my sig ranges to 1600 yards pretty well . it's hit and miss at 2050 yards . it never got a hit at 2375 yards . I've never tried the G7BR2 out to these distances .

EDIT : here is a link to another set up . I haven't seen it work yet , we should be getting together this summer to do some shooting . I'm anxious to see this in action .

one more EDIT :

another link for you to read

Leica has always had tighter beam divergence than most rangefinders. I think the original Geovid (I still own one) was .3x1.5 or something like that. I tested a later model model Geovid; it ranged pretty good but the ballistic solution was pretty crude - essentially used a lookup table, whereas SIG actually runs software.

Leica has always had tighter beam divergence than most rangefinders. I think the original Geovid (I still own one) was .3x1.5 or something like that. I tested a later model model Geovid; it ranged pretty good but the ballistic solution was pretty crude - essentially used a lookup table, whereas SIG actually runs software.

that's what I like about the Leica 3500.com , it bluetooths to the kestrel 5700 elite . so it would have the ABS program .