300 WSM suggestion

400bull

I recently purchased a new Win M70 300 WSM in the sporter package. I'm going to try and get out this weekend to break in the barrel with some cheap factory reloads. Once I've burned through the cheap stuff I'll need to pick up a box or two of good stuff for the hunts this year. I will be hunting both mule deer and spike elk (it's a Utah elk hunt). Any suggestion on what other 300 WSM have been liking? In addition to the factory loads, I'll be doing my own reloads after the hunts are over with this year. I would work up my load for this year if I felt like I had enough time. Any combonations that your finding most 300 WSM like? I'm look at using Ramshoot hunter or Hodgens new Hybird 100V powders, I'm not sure how these powders are working in the 300 WSM. So lets hear your thoughts.

thanks

400bull

congrats on the new rifle... I would just buy a couple boxes of different bullets that you like and see what shoots better. Mine likes the 180 grain better than the 165, but that is just mine. My favorite powder is H4350 and CCI BR2's... but those primers are hard to come by now. No need to use a mag primer in that cal for most powders.

Your most efficient bullets in this cal are gong to be the 200 gr on down. Heavier will simply take up too much case capacity.

I have had many sub MOA groups with winchester super x 180 gr power point. I bought the 300 when they first came out, and that ammo was the only ammo available at the store.

I also recomend h4350, I couldn't get mine to shoot with some of the other powders I have, but that shot well. Others I know like that powder also. I have some reloader 17, but haven't tried it yet.

I would say the two top powders for the 300 WSM are probably RL 17 and H4350. With RL 17 I was able to achieve 3193 with 180 E-Tips and 2990 with H4350. I also got 2935 with with RL 17 and 210 Bergers seated to the lands which would not fit into my mag. This is with a Sako Finnlight.

Especially with factory rifles, your rifle will like different bullet/powder combinations better than other rilfes. The only way to find out what your rifle likes is to shoot it. I would start with RL 17, it's a great WSM powder.

-MR

Last edited:
If I was starting new, I'd try the RL17, a lot of folks have been posting incredible results from it.

I use H4350 with 180gr+ and Varget with 165 and less.

CCI-BR2 primers.

Why even buy any factory loads, pick up some powder and the bullets you want to hunt with and break it in with a potential load. If it shoots good, you're set until after the season.

AJ

AJ,

Thats a great suggesstion. Maybe I'll try and double up my load development time as my barrel break in time also. I just don't know if I'll be able to get out to the range enough because my wife has an antelope hunt coming up in a week that we need to get ready for also.

It sound slike everyone has been happey with Hodgen 4350 or RL 17. Maybe I'll try some of the tested stuff for now and work with the newer powders an other day.

400bull

AJ,

Maybe I'll try and double up my load development time as my barrel break in time also. l

This is what I try to do. I have 10 rounds loaded for each combination of 3 bullets and two powders for my 300 RUM to find the max load for those combinations. For one of the bullets I'm only using one powder so 50 rounds all together. I'll shoot working up one string at a time cleaning after each until my barrel is broke-in. After finding my max loads, I'll load 3 or 4 at each interval of .5 gr for each bullet and powder to find the most accurate loads with a broke-in barrel. Makes sense to me.

-MR

Last edited:
One good thing about the Winchesters is that they have a longer magazine box than most other WSM rifles. I have loaded 200gr Accubonds in mine since they came out, and have had no issues with OAL.

As far as powders, I originally used RL22, but I have switched to H4831sc for metering and temp sensitivity issues. RL 17 sounds very promising, but I haven't been able to try it yet.

Last edited:
poweders- re-17, h4350 h4831 re-19; primers wlrm, 210m, br-2; 165 baltip; 165 part; 168 blistic silver tip

My vote is for h4350 or win 760 168 bergers Win brass and Fed 215 primers. To montana rifleman could you open the bolt after the 2990 210 berger cause thats 200ft faster than I can get them out of my savage.:rolleyes:

My vote is for h4350 or win 760 168 bergers Win brass and Fed 215 primers. To montana rifleman could you open the bolt after the 2990 210 berger cause thats 200ft faster than I can get them out of my savage.:rolleyes:

I got the 210's up to 2935 with 65.5 gr of RL 17 and no signs of pressure other than very slight cartering which didn't look a wholelot different than some of the Fed brass/primers I fired out of that rifle... no stiff bolt. I stopped there. That load "felt" fine but whether or not more firing at that charge would have produced loose pockets, I dont know. The RL 17 produced good velocity results in my rifle with the 180 E-Tips and the 210 Bergers, but nothing spectacular with the 168 TTSX's. The throat in the Sako is long and the 210's seated to the lands only catch 2/3rds of the neck.

FWIW, I got 200 fps more out of the E-Tips with RL 17 than with H4350. never tried any other powder with the Bergers.

-MR

Last edited:
You can't go wrong with H-4350, as stated it wont drive the heavy bullets as fast as some other powders but it is easy to get to shoot. You dont need magnum primers but often times they like them more. I shoot a 175 SMK over H-4350 and this load has shot 1/2 moa in two of my rifles as well as a friends rifle and one I tested for a smith. Just seems to shoot.

Also gotten my best groups with R-17 pushing berger 175s and 190 s out of my savage. The only problem is the barrel heats up very fast"pencil"so I space my shots about 10 minutes apart and the groups stay real tight, if I shoot with about 2 mins. between shots the groups open up to around 1.5 inches.

Warning! This thread is more than 15 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Recent Posts