Successful Coues Deer Hunt

Yeah it's pretry nice. Its the second deer I hunt with a weird kicker on it. First was a Mulie with a half circle shaped kicker under the left brow tine. Picture is below

Stay safe
View attachment 225395
Beautiful Mulie. I don't know why, but I have always wanted a deer with a little irregular kicker or two on his rack. I have a very beautiful 8 point with a three-inch kicker on his left side. He comes and eats in the cornfield behind me most nights. I would never shoot him because he is never around during the daylight and he is not overall that massive, but he is nice.

Beautiful Mulie. I don't know why, but I have always wanted a deer with a little irregular kicker or two on his rack. I have a very beautiful 8 point with a three-inch kicker on his left side. He comes and eats in the cornfield behind me most nights. I would never shoot him because he is never around during the daylight and he is not overall that massive, but he is nice.

He might just give you a chance one day, you never know.

The extra kickers are always pretty cool, I've just been lucky.

Stay safe

35A, down by Canelo and Parker Canyon Lake, you should go back down there when you get a chance, still beautiful country.
I was camped there for 7 days on Lyle Canyon road. Wind was brutal. A friend took one decent 4x4. Not a unit I normally hunt and is my 2-3 choice. Beautiful country though. Saw a lot of deer but most nothing I'd want to shoot. Chased a 115 class buck I saw 2x but a shot never presented itself. I did watch a huge Cinnamon color phased black bear for 45 minutes one morning. Beautiful country. Some pics below of the unit 35A.

Attachments

• 17418C73-E501-47D5-88F4-B221CCDFC14D.jpeg
    17418C73-E501-47D5-88F4-B221CCDFC14D.jpeg
    713.2 KB · Views: 152
  • 2F1F1B03-4C98-479C-9A39-227829C6D94D.jpeg
    2F1F1B03-4C98-479C-9A39-227829C6D94D.jpeg
    711.4 KB · Views: 141
Last edited:
This year we didn't get drawn for deer and ended up with leftover tags in an area we hadn't hunted before. It's is beautiful country with very thick cover and hard to see animals moving around so glassing in some areas was pretty much useless.

Spent the whole weekend covering lots and lots of ground on foot and only saw does and fawns and had to almost step on them to spooke them out. Winds were 30 to 35 mph with wind gusts up to 50mph so most animals weren't moving much.

On Sunday we finally saw a buck at 900yds but with that wind we had to get closer and we did but eventually lost him when we were about 400 yds away.

Wednesday I was off and the forecast called for 5 to 10 mph winds and I said oh heck yeah, and decided to go back out and it sure paid off. Got on a forest road that we had been using to get to the hunting spots we had been hitting and at about half a mile down the road there he was at 280 yds standing broadside on the hill to the south of us. Got the 7mm Rem Mag with 168gr Berger Hybrids and put him to sleep. Not my biggest buck but still a nice one. It had a weird antler at the base, picture attached.

Wife sure was happy with some grilled ribs last night and a whole deer in the freezer.

Stay safe all

View attachment 225217

View attachment 225218

View attachment 225219
Very nice he had to be an older deer with that little kicker at the base of his antlers.

Thanks Leveler, appreciate it.

Very nice he had to be an older deer with that little kicker at the base of his antlers.

Thanks Sneuses, he had a large body and yielded quite a bit of meat, more than I usually get form a coues deer. Stay safe

I was camped there for 7 days on Lyle Canyon road. Wind was brutal. A friend took one decent 4x4. Not a unit I normally hunt and is my 2-3 choice. Beautiful country though. Saw a lot of deer but most nothing I'd want to shoot. Chased a 115 class buck I saw 2x but a shot never presented itself. I did watch a huge Cinnamon color phased black bear for 45 minutes one morning. Beautiful country. Some pics below of the unit 35A.

Nice pics jgs. We were camped just south of you right before Parker Canyon. It is really nice out there and a with a lot of terrain to hunt. Some areas are tough to hunt due to the thick cover and some are more accessible. It's nice when you spot those cool looking bears. Here are some images of the area. Stay safe.

Saturday morning sunrise
20201107_063710_HDR.jpg

Saturday afternoon sunset
20201107_174218_HDR.jpg

Wife doing some glassing
20201107_162002_HDR.jpg

IMO thick usually equals bigger bucks! Man that stuff sure is hard to glass though.

Yup, thats where they can't be touched. We like to get in deep and try to get the big ones, just doesn't always work like that.

Before I got this one, my wife and I spotted a really nice one on Sunday at over 800 yds, but with the 30 to 35 mph winds and gusts up to 50 just had to get closer, we tried and sneaked on him to about 400 yds, a couple of does were still there but the old guy was gone, sure was fun to see that big rack though.

Stay safe

Warning! This thread is more than 4 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.