Coues deer hunters?

Red Sparky

Anybody hunt these little deer? This year I am hoping to draw the same archery elk tag as last year. The deer season for archery runs the same as elk archery so I am going to put in for a Coues tag as well. Last year I had 10 deer, two nice bucks, at 30 yards but my deer tag was for muzzle loader mule deer in a different unit a month later. I have read the Coues site but don't really want to join another forum so thought I would see if anybody here hunts them.

RS, Coues can be addictive. Fortunately their range is spreading here in AZ. Some hunts are still over the counter in less desireable units (near the border). With a Coues at 30 yds, get the tag. Good luck

I had the Unit 13 mule deer hunt here in NM which is about dead center of the state. I usually try to put in for a hunt where I can go hunting with the draw system being what it is. Last year for elk I got my third choice, sorry to those who lost out on their first and second choice for that unit. I did draw in the Gila and was sitting where a game trail came out of a canyon and went to a dry wallow on the mesa top. I was hoping to ambush some elk as I was cow calling occasionally and those little deer snuck up on me. I have only seen four others here in my 35 years of hunting and they were does waving the white flag when I saw them. I just started bow hunting last year so it would be amazing to get one as my first bow kill.

Not yet. Its on my list of musts. Hoping this year since won't have to pay out of state resident for AZ s now that I have res status. One of my wife's friends/employe's manages to nail one with a monster rack it seems like every other year and of course he sends pics for her to show me. Amazing how much more hunting is in southwest then Midwest. But, also been spoiled by a huge wt deer populations so feeling that withdrawl. I enjoy when I pull into drive and we have a WT's in yard. Elk, are usually ones in yard though.

Red Sparkey - a word of warning about going Coues Deer hunting - don't do it UNLESS you are prepared to want to go every year! Like others have said it is addictive!

I live in the Southwest and did not hunt them for years. I am an elk nut and just could not see what all the fuss was about. Whitetail hunting has never tripped my trigger, sitting in a tree gets boring to me. Then I had a buddy that wanted to try it so we did and we are hooked! Have gone every year for the last 5 years when we started.

We hunt in the state of Chihuahua, Mexico and it is very mountainous country. It is like hunting 90 pound elk. Lots of glassing, hiking, spot and stalk. The best time to hunt in Mexico is in January when all the other big game seasons are closed. Coues deer hunting in Chihuahua is a lot less expensive than in Sonora (no mule deer in Chihuahua where we hunt) and a really good hunt can be found for less than one would pay for any hunt in the US. Several of the ranches will let you hunt without a guide where you can DIY and we see LOTS of deer, multiple 90"+ bucks every time we go. And yes, it is safe, have NEVER felt being threatened by all the hype about Mexico. There are good and bad areas to be in Mexico, just like in the US.

15x bino's on a tripod is a must and you want an accurate rifle to hit the little guys.

You can go over to coueswhitetail.com and lurk around without joining and will see lots of info on hunting Coues deer.

Attachments

• avaitor2.jpg
    avaitor2.jpg
    23.1 KB · Views: 101
  • Justin flipped.jpg
    Justin flipped.jpg
    212.2 KB · Views: 107
  • bb 1.jpg
    bb 1.jpg
    212.4 KB · Views: 88
Coues deer is where its at. Its like a poor mans sheep hunt. Terrain is tough and steep and shots can be very long on very small deer. They will make you work for it but it is so rewarding when you get one and they are absolutely delicious.

Here is this years. 100 4/8"

Here is my best buck at 112 7/8" I got in 2010

I have been reading the Coues page that was listed. I will put in for a tag here in NM for archery. That way I can hunt both elk and deer in September if I get the elk tag again. Seems like the deer tag is almost a guarantee with archery tackle. I had 10 of them at 30 yards with two nice bucks when I was in a "ground blind" for elk last year. When I say ground blind it was made in the woods with fallen trees on the sides and a tree in front and behind me. Not a commercial ground blind as I like to move around and spot and stalk. The only problem was I had a muzzle loader deer tag a month later in a different unit. The bucks fed in front of me for about 10-15 minutes until a doe made it on the back side of me and caught either scent or movement. I bet it will be as addictive as elk hunting. Of course knowing my luck I will have the tag and only see mule deer.

The 100 4/8 that stomp442 posted looked like the two I had in front of me, just not enough trees in the picture. The area I was in looks more like the picture of the buck Tom264's son is with.

Warning! This thread is more than 10 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.