Successful Coues Deer Hunt

This year we didn't get drawn for deer and ended up with leftover tags in an area we hadn't hunted before. It's is beautiful country with very thick cover and hard to see animals moving around so glassing in some areas was pretty much useless.

Spent the whole weekend covering lots and lots of ground on foot and only saw does and fawns and had to almost step on them to spooke them out. Winds were 30 to 35 mph with wind gusts up to 50mph so most animals weren't moving much.

On Sunday we finally saw a buck at 900yds but with that wind we had to get closer and we did but eventually lost him when we were about 400 yds away.

Wednesday I was off and the forecast called for 5 to 10 mph winds and I said oh heck yeah, and decided to go back out and it sure paid off. Got on a forest road that we had been using to get to the hunting spots we had been hitting and at about half a mile down the road there he was at 280 yds standing broadside on the hill to the south of us. Got the 7mm Rem Mag with 168gr Berger Hybrids and put him to sleep. Not my biggest buck but still a nice one. It had a weird antler at the base, picture attached.

Wife sure was happy with some grilled ribs last night and a whole deer in the freezer.

Stay safe all

View attachment 225217

View attachment 225218

View attachment 225219
Beautiful deer. I remember those days of hunting in the mountains and forests. Wish I still could but God blessed me with many great hunts successful or not. Way to go. God bless brother.

Beautiful deer. I remember those days of hunting in the mountains and forests. Wish I still could but God blessed me with many great hunts successful or not. Way to go. God bless brother.

It's never too late, we ran in to a son and dad that the dad couldn't get around to well anymore, so the son drove the dad around all weekend and on Sunday they eventually spotted one close to the road, dad gave the deer a dirt nap.. God bless as well and stay safe

Nice buck, a lot tougher hunt than many realize. Just returned from a desert muley hunt, very dry everywhere. Hunted the alfalfa fields but no luck. The girlfriend and I drew Javelina tags for February.

Nice buck, a lot tougher hunt than many realize. Just returned from a desert muley hunt, very dry everywhere. Hunted the alfalfa fields but no luck. The girlfriend and I drew Javelina tags for February.

Thanks Dosh. It's dry everywhere, there was no monsoon what so ever this year.

We are going after javelina leftovers, did not get drawn again and there aren't many left either, seems like way more people applying for tags this year.

Good luck with the jav's and stay safe

This year we didn't get drawn for deer and ended up with leftover tags in an area we hadn't hunted before. It's is beautiful country with very thick cover and hard to see animals moving around so glassing in some areas was pretty much useless.

Spent the whole weekend covering lots and lots of ground on foot and only saw does and fawns and had to almost step on them to spooke them out. Winds were 30 to 35 mph with wind gusts up to 50mph so most animals weren't moving much.

On Sunday we finally saw a buck at 900yds but with that wind we had to get closer and we did but eventually lost him when we were about 400 yds away.

Wednesday I was off and the forecast called for 5 to 10 mph winds and I said oh heck yeah, and decided to go back out and it sure paid off. Got on a forest road that we had been using to get to the hunting spots we had been hitting and at about half a mile down the road there he was at 280 yds standing broadside on the hill to the south of us. Got the 7mm Rem Mag with 168gr Berger Hybrids and put him to sleep. Not my biggest buck but still a nice one. It had a weird antler at the base, picture attached.

Wife sure was happy with some grilled ribs last night and a whole deer in the freezer.

Stay safe all

View attachment 225217

View attachment 225218

View attachment 225219
I like the little kicker at the base.

I like the little kicker at the base.

Yeah it's pretry nice. Its the second deer I hunt with a weird kicker on it. First was a Mulie with a half circle shaped kicker under the left brow tine. Picture is below

Stay safe
IMG-20180610-WA0022(1).jpg

Warning! This thread is more than 4 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Recent Posts