Coues deer

jbo829

D5FF6F51-A07D-404E-BCB6-AF272ABE7332.jpeg Follow hunter members I had an opportunity to hunt coues deer in Mexico and boy let me tell you the terrain here is way different and the deer are a rare site to see 4 days of hiking and hard glassing. Never seen one the people that where my guides for this mountains where very disappointed but they spotted some iguanas and I was able to take four. Never tasted iguana but they taste just like chicken I was able to eat them fried and in 2 different a stews
First stew was iguana with chicken potatoes carrots and some other vegetables.
The second stew was similar but with catfish replacing the chicken and let me tell you this meat is delicious

Hmmm, maybe if your seeing iguanas your looking in the wrong places haha. Just poking fun.

Mexico is a different deal for sure, some of the thorn scrub I've hunted in there is very difficult to find Coues. What part were you hunting in maybe you were at the southern edge of where Coues are found cuz we never saw any iguanas

80DFBE73-2F58-4D63-9399-FCFE79ABC615.jpeg Jalisco is the state I was in very heavy green vegetation crossing rivers on foot with out knowing how to swim was fun

Skins will be made into a wallet a pistol holster and a 2 mag pouch

They are common in southern Mexico in the thick forest and in the jungles. Glad you had fun down there.

If you want to hunt Coues in Mexico I would recommend you go to the state of Sonora, just a few hours drive south of Arizona. They are abundant and you can find some really big bucks. I grew up there and still go when possible.

Sonora is a state no one wants to go to at the moment and I have family in Jalisco and Michoacán which are also alittle bad but I enjoyed my hunting trip and got to visit family I hadn't seen in 20 years

I totally understand your concern. If you use an outfiter its safe. I go to Sonora often and go coues hunting there once a year and never had issues. But again I definitely understand your concern especially after recent events and usually Sonora is quiet state until something like this happens.

I'll be in Guadalajara and Mazamitla in the first week of January for some vacation time.

Cool that you got so see your family after all those years, I'm sure you enjoyed that most of all.

I totally understand your concern. If you use an outfiter its safe. I go to Sonora often and go coues hunting there once a year and never had issues. But again I definitely understand your concern especially after recent events and usually Sonora is quiet state until something like this happens.

I'll be in Guadalajara and Mazamitla in the first week of January for some vacation time.

Cool that you got so see your family after all those years, I'm sure you enjoyed that most of all.
Mazamitla is a very fun place I'm a few hours away from both places

How many of you pronounce Coues deer as Coos deer? And how many of you Coues deer hunters say "Cows deer"?

Warning! This thread is more than 5 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Recent Posts